Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having a bad day. My life revolves around food. I am on day 5 of my preop diet and had to go to dinner 2 times. I feel left out because I can't eat my favorites. I know this is stupid and I will be fine and in time will eat my favorites in very small quantities but I am sad today. I am mourning food for no good reason. It has not been my friend and it has gotten me to a point that makes me unhappy. My family doesn't get it but I knew this group would. I ordered a salad and asked for fat free dressing and extra cilantro and green onions for taste and the guy was great didn't charge for the bigger salad. I can do this and I know it's the best choice I can ever make. Thanks for letting me vent! Stacey

I am having a bad day. My life revolves around food. I am on day 5 of my preop diet and had to go to dinner 2 times. I feel left out because I can't eat my favorites. I know this is stupid and I will be fine and in time will eat my favorites in very small quantities but I am sad today. I am mourning food for no good reason. It has not been my friend and it has gotten me to a point that makes me unhappy. My family doesn't get it but I knew this group would. I ordered a salad and asked for fat free dressing and extra cilantro and green onions for taste and the guy was great didn't charge for the bigger salad. I can do this and I know it's the best choice I can ever make. Thanks for letting me vent! Stacey

I completely understand. I'm on day 2 of Clear Liquids, and only have to make it until surgery on Monday, but this has been the hardest thing ever! It has really made me see what my relationship to food is. Before this, I wouldn't have said that I soothe myself with food, but right now, I'm actually not hungry, just missing the activity. I've been worried that if it is like this afterward, I will be living in hell for the rest of my life, but I know that isn't real. I am reminding myself that I will be filled with joy when I am no longer in pain and can get around comfortably and live the life I want to live. This is like mourning the loss of our old friend "food", but it is a good time to just end a disfunctional relationship.

Yep, it is a revelation of the food/psyche relationship. When I was on the liquid/shake preop diet and even now 10 days post op, the mourning for the social aspects of eating,the pleasure of putting anything in my mouth, drinking with meals... even cooking my usual specialties, was / is an evolution and ongoing education. I am so much more attuned to my body, the metamorphasis of my flesh. When I lost 30 lbs preop, and realized my knees no longer hurt when I climb stairs, a warm fuzzy feeling came over me and I sensed the blossoming of hope that I had not experienced in a long time. When I experienced hunger preop, I let myself feel the discomfort and thought about the process, what I could do instead of eat. When I was stressed, I drank Water and thought about my future as a normal weight person. I used food as a drug for soo long. But I paid dearly for that high....Diabetes(maybe not reversable in myncase),sleep apnea, high bp,lymphedema,depression, predjudice,social ostracism,inability to participate in activities that I wanted too....The physical,and emotional pain that I felt and currently feel is changing slowly. I made this decision to be a healthy person to the best of my ability. It is the hardest thing Imhave ever done. I may never totally acheive all my goals, but at least I have goals now. A year ago ,,I thought I was hopeless. I am hanging on to hope. I pray the serenity prayer a lot. I know I will stumble and fall, maybe even fail at times,,but I will endevour to be kind to myself, forgive myself and try again.I do believe that change is possible now. But it still will remain a daily battle of my choices. There are so many temptations and distractions to overcome. These forums help to keep a positive perspective. Knowing you are not alone in the journey helps tremendously. Others have gone on before me and reached their goals. I strive to continue to lesrn from others who are in the struggle with me. I will share my story very selectively,and that is still part of my healing. I still fear rejection or being hurt by others who would never undestand my choice to alter my body forever to gain control of my body to become the best person I can be. Both of my sisters are normal,weight, but they are very discplined with their eating and spend many hours a week working out. I needed this tool to get to a normal,weight and hopefully will learn to maintain once I reach goal. I had a revelation about head hunger.... it is for me the desire for a certain taste, texture,

or ambient factor of food. It is the difference between eating for pleasure, or eating to survive. One day, maybe I will be satisfied that I am choosing to eat to stay alive as opposed to craving to satisfy a certain taste sensation. Not that there is anything inherently "wrong" with enjoying food. It is just for me, learning my limits, identifying triggers and learning new ways to deal with stress other than turning to food.Love and peace to all....

Denise

Hey July sleevers, I just wanted to join in here =) Scheduled for Thursday July 26th Hope everyone is doing well!

That day 5 must be a doozy for everyone! I had the worst day ever day 5. They have changed my pre op diet around a little and I am doing so much better! Still very hard not to be able to join family and friends to go eat and hang out. However I have had 3 bridal showers and 2 birthday parties this weekend and it was HORRIBLE. I was so overwhelmed with hunger and the urge to binge eat I could have died. Then I was just pissed at the situation, that god made me fat and all of my skinny friends can eat whatever they want and never gain a lb. I am eating about 800 calories a day.....most of those liquid and I have gained 2 lbs! What the Heck! I have alot of mixed emotions about this surgery.I am excited for the weight loss and looking and feeling better, but I am mourning what I am losing too. I am scared to death. Which in turn makes me wonder if I have made the right decision in having surgery. So many thoughts...........

Nope day 5 was not easy I was just home and in pain and no energy to go no where. Yes some are lucky and have it easier but others don't :(. And you are not alone we question on those hard days. Why. Why couldn't I just do it on my own. And lefts face it we can't. So hang in there. It will get better

At the doctors for my 1 week preop apt I can't believe that next week at this time I will be sleeved!!!! I am soooooo nervous and excited. I can't even image a skinny me, I have never seen her. I know that is crazy!! So far I have lost 13pds on the preop diet but I an hungry. Counting the days till Tuesday !!!!!!!

Are u added now

April will you add my friend Sandra...she had her sleeve on Friday same as me :)

sktp63@yahoo.com

Hi Everyone,

Sorry that I have not been able to update sooner. I am in Tijuana and for some reason my Facebook page will not accept my PW so I figured that I would give an update here for all that have been so supportive.

My surgery was Friday and I felt like a million bucks Friday night and Saturday. My gas had settled in my chest area so lo and behold, come Sunday....I was sick. The gas started moving and for some reason I was nauseated big time...but now, I am past that and feeling good. Still a little nervous to get anything in other than popsicles, Water and gatorade. broth will be next.

For everyone who is curious about the experience at Jerusalem Hospital in Tijuana Mexico.....

Everything to this point has gone extremely well. The staff at the hospital (clinic) and at the recovery house were phenomenal. I have to give shout outs to Arturo and Edgar at the recovery house because they were on top of their game. The clinic and the recovery house were very clean and each staff member knew their jobs well. Nothing fancy about the pre-op, they bring you all in, run the ekgs, wrap your legs to prevent blood clots and take your blood. Then you wait your turn. The easier cases seem to go first, (less weight to lose, no other health complications etc) Needless to say, I was 3rd to last because my BMI WAS insane. They took me down to the surgery room and before I knew it, they were waking me up to walk me upstairs to my room for the night. Like I said earlier, my first night and next day were great....I felt it on the third day!

IF I CAN GIVE ONE PIECE OF ADVICE TO ANYONE GOING TO SURGERY.....Do NOT eat and have a last HOORAH before the surgery.....YOU will be the most miserable, gassy and in pain person....the clear liquids prior to surgery do nothing but aid you in a faster recovery.

We opted for the recovery house for the first two nights because we wanted the reassurance that someone on staff was constantly around while recovering. Then we came to the hotel for a few days so that we could make sure all was well before flying back home. (We decided to stay longer prior to coming)

Recovery House: Beautifully appointed, in a gated community that the staff keeps locked at all times. Two nurses on staff 24/7 and a cook is on staff (even though we didn´t use them...the plastic surgery patients did). 4 bedrooms 1 and half baths so showering needed to be timed well because there are several other people in the house with you BUT it is definitely a support system that helps you get through some of the toughest moments. They keep it spotless....constantly cleaning. There are bunk beds in each room but it was comfortable.

Jerusalem Hospital: It is a clinic (surgical center)...nothing fancy but has everything that the doctors and staff will need to take care of you. This freaked a few people out in our group because they did not know is was a center in a strip mall. I had researched it and found that out already but the experience of the doctors and the care given to previous patients superceded the aesthetics of the facility for me. I feel so far that I have made a great decision to go with this group, of course, I am only 4 days post op so if anything changes I will keep you updated.

Transportation: Exactly as promised. They pick you up and take you everywhere you need to go for xrays, checkups, shopping, airport runs etc. Some folks say that they were late at times and other say that they were early....but each time they made sure they had the passengers they should have before leaving. The roads are rough in TJ so be prepared for a bumpy, winding ride. I think some of my nausea may have been car sickness.

All in all....Me and my friend that had surgery the same day I did....HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE and would recommend Dr. Almanza and his staff to anyone. Except for snooty folks....lol

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions because I do not mind sharing any and all with you.

I just wanted to update you on my progress...I made three week or 21 days on Monday. I am doing great. I am trying to walk on the treadmill at least 3-5 days a week and I generally burn around 350-450 calories. I am trying to increase the Protein intake and keep up with my Water intake. It has gotten progressively easier and now I am learning how to eat and when I am full.

I had my surgery on July 20th. Besides the obvious pain, I am having a hard time figuring out if I am "full". I am not eating a whole lot and have only lost 2 pounds since surgery. Sorta frustrated. Any feedback?

I had my surgery on July 20th. Besides the obvious pain, I am having a hard time figuring out if I am "full". I am not eating a whole lot and have only lost 2 pounds since surgery. Sorta frustrated. Any feedback?

It will change trust me because seven days out I had only lost 3 pounds but I have quickly dropped another 12 pounds in 14 days. I have read on other post that it is due to the internal swelling and the fluids from the IV's so it change...just focus on your Water intake and drinking the Protein shakes...good luck and I pray you have a quick recovery.

Hello July Sleevers. This is my first post. I had my sleeve performed on July 19th with a "big hiatal hernia repair". Lol. I used Dr Clifton Thomas out of Houston/Nacogdoches, Texas. I'm down 14 pounds from my July 1st weigh in to my one week follow up. I noticed today my jeans are looser. I don't own a scale and I'm not sure that I want to. I am loving the post-op changes in myself... Like a lack of preoccupation with food and that I can apply my foodie interests to Protein shakes! Yummmmmmmy! I've been lurking around the boards for a while. I didn't really talk to anyone about the surgery before hand. I don't know if I was she'll shocked that it was finally going to happen, nervous about being judged, or what. But it's done. I'm happy and I'm looking forward to making some sleever friends. :)

Hello NurseJenn. We have a private Facebook page for sleevers if you would be interested in joining. Just send me a friend invite and I will add you to the page. I have learned so much from that page and everyone is so supportive there. It really is a small family that we have created. Look me up, Joyce Dixie Peninger, on facebook if you are on there and want to join. :) Welcome to the losers bench :D

At the doctors for my 1 week preop apt I can't believe that next week at this time I will be sleeved!!!! I am soooooo nervous and excited. I can't even image a skinny me' date=' I have never seen her. I know that is crazy!! So far I have lost 13pds on the preop diet but I an hungry. Counting the days till Tuesday !!!!!!![/quote']

My surgery is Tuesday too!!