Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Sleeve& Disheartened

Hello everybody!

I've been researching the sleeve for about a year now, which makes me feel like I'm at zero. I was thinking about going to Mexico, but got scared about insurance not covering the bills afterward, other people judging me & getting time off, I'm an RN on a surgical floor. There have been ~6 sleeves done at the hospital I work at. They seem to have a good post-op recovery, but I don't know about long term results. I'm in month 3 out of a 6 month MD supervised diet. Just gained back 7 lbs. If I approved for the surgery, I'll be under the scrutiny of all my co-workers, residents, etc. Grr. I just don't know what to do. I'm 2x the size I should be& am feeling the health & social effects to a new extreme. Anyway, I'll end my Debbie downer post& try to be more positive. Maybe by a ticket to Tijuana.

Who cares what other people think - this is for YOU. All I know is I've never known anyone overweight who wasn't scrutinized for being over weight so heck if you're going to be scrutinized, at least let it be for the healthier of the 2 options. :)

Your post reminded me of Smokey the Bear & his famous words, "Only you can prevent fires". Only you (atelux17) can do it. Do it for your health. Don't mind or pay attention to those around you, other than your support group. Stay healthy & God bless.

if you work at a hospital that does the surgery,dont they offer a discount for its employees?And I thought people went down to mexico who are self pay,because their insurance didnt cover the procedure or they dont have ins at all,maybe im wrong,but that seemsto be the general vibe i get and I agree with other posters who say who cares what other poeple think, do or say, its all about you and you getting healtheir and stronger,and being happier,to hell with everyone else

You can't think about what everyone else things... who cares what they think. YOUR health is the MOST important thing. There are policies in place for you to have time off for things like this. You have to make the best choice for you. The way I look at it I would rather have people talk about me for having the surgery than have them talk about me for dying young because I was obese. I think we all get a bit too wrapped up with how other people view us and forget about who is the most important person... and that is YOU. Do what is right, what will make you happy and what is going to make your life healthier and longer.

I agree with the first post in that who cares what others think!! People are always going to have an opinion one way or another but ultimately it's your choice. If you think the procedure is a good fit for you to help you get healthy then go for it! I think there's a saying like "Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter"...seems like it could apply here. Good luck on whatever you decide and know you have a support system here :) .

I have to admit it was a little hard coming back to work because I thought that my co-workers would expect me to be a lot smaller than I was - but they were fantastic. Sometimes we set impossible standards for ourselves. If and when you decided that this is the right thing for you to do, you will know it. If you're going back and forth, you really might not be ready. It took me 2 years to get ready. Best of luck to you!

Hello everybody!

I've been researching the sleeve for about a year now, which makes me feel like I'm at zero. I was thinking about going to Mexico, but got scared about insurance not covering the bills afterward, other people judging me & getting time off, I'm an RN on a surgical floor. There have been ~6 sleeves done at the hospital I work at. They seem to have a good post-op recovery, but I don't know about long term results. I'm in month 3 out of a 6 month MD supervised diet. Just gained back 7 lbs. If I approved for the surgery, I'll be under the scrutiny of all my co-workers, residents, etc. Grr. I just don't know what to do. I'm 2x the size I should be& am feeling the health & social effects to a new extreme. Anyway, I'll end my Debbie downer post& try to be more positive. Maybe by a ticket to Tijuana.

ohhhh i can so relate i didnt tell any of my inlaws i was having my lapband when i did it because i didnt want to be under their scrutiny and their judgement im sure i wouldve heard "you took the easy way out" now that the band failed and i have to get sleeved in so glad but ya know what i am finally learning we are our own worst criticis. screw anyone who has the nerve to say anything about what you are doing if they cant support us and be part of our solution then maybe they are part of our problem in the first place. stay strong do what you feel in your heart and dont worry about the rest.

'

For me, I did better being under scrutiny. I posted on FB from the first day, and put pictures up every time I lost 15 pounds so my friends could see where I had been and where I had gone. I also thought that it would be a kind of chronicle of my experiences for those friends who might want to know what having the surgery was really like. And, for me, knowing that I had committed to post every 15 pounds lost and setting realistic deadlines for accomplishing each 15-pound loss, gave me something to shoot for, and got a lot of people rooting for me and encouraging me onward. All my friends wanted me to succeed, now fail. I am now 10-1/2 months post sleeve, and I have lost 92 pounds and gone from a size 2X to a size XS in bottoms and a size S in tops. My friends on FB have been right there with me every step of the way cheering me on, and became a motivation for me not to fail, and to keep going to I could keep posting positive results. So, I say, don't hide from your co-workers and friends. Enlist their aid in helping you along your journey. You can do it, and your friends will cheer you on every step of the way.

I'm with everyone else, who cares what people say. People are going to talk, so have the surgery and let them talk about how great you look!

I think DuranFan1969 said it greatly!

It doesn't matter what other think you are doing this for yourself, your health and YOUR life, and if they don't want to get on board and support you and your drive to LIVE then so be it! More than likely people are going to watch you, they may even want you to fail. You just have to remember that this is YOUR journey.

There must be other hospitals where you can have the surgery!

Maybe it is my age, I don't know, but i have reached the point where it just doesn't matter much what others think. They weren't the ones hauling around an extra 150# like I was... they weren't the ones facing the health issues.. physical pain and of course losing the ability to do the stuff I want to do.

Even so, have the surgery somewhere else. When you lose weight and people comment, just smile and thank them for noticing and walk away. When they ask why you eat so little, tell them you are on a a diet where you eat smaller portions more times per day and trying to get healthier - if you feel the need to say anything at all. This is your struggle, this is your journey and if people wont support you, the heck with em, it is none of their business!

I have never tried to hide my surgery, any more than I would try to hide from people if I had cancer. There are lots of people out there who are overweight, and trying to find information on how to lose weight. If telling about my journey will help them, I am more than willing to do that. In the beginning I thought that some people would be jealous or try to sabotage me, but NO ONE did. Everyone was so supportive. Give your friends and co-workers a chance. People are a lot more benevolent than we give them credit for.