Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question About Co-Workers

I am scheduled to have my surgery June 4th. My boss of course knows I'm having the surgery and one other co worker. My question for everyone is when did you start telling co workers? I work in the same hospital I'm having surgery in. I work will ALL women. I haven't said anything to anyone but it's going to be obvious when I come back to work when I am on a liquid diet, then puréed. Guess I'm just wondering how everyone else handle it. Thanks

I told everyone I could, even before the surgery. It is a personal decision who you want to tell but the way I look at it, why not tell people, you are doing this to improve your health and maybe your telling someone can actually help someone else make the decision to do it too!

when or if did you start telling co workers?

Crazyscrublady

there are probably as many different answers to this question as there are people.

I told my immediate family. before WLS, DH, daughter, sisters.

I chose not to tell others, shout it from the rooftops, didn't know what reactions would be - maybe later at some time, i might tell a few people, but thats for another day in my future.

best

kathy

I tell everyone! The people that give me flack are people that are insecure about themselves and are very judgemental people. They can have it, but at least I have planted a seed to help them think outside the box. Especially when they see my bod now. This is a great transformation. My best friend told me she couldn't handle my "skinniness." So now I've adopted the word "skinniness." I love my skinniness! LOL ;)

I told just about everyone and have not heard one, single, negative comment. In fact, my coworkers, family, and friends have been incredibly supportive and encouraging. I'm sure someone has said something ugly, but no one to my face. The only questions I've had about my decision to have WLS were inquiring if I really felt it was worth the risk and about loose skin from losing weight. I feel the people with the WLS horror stories were expressing their concern in the only way they knew how and to those who inquired about loose skin, I simply replied "I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it".

I didn't tell anyone at first, I just told work I had to "have a procedure" and requested time off. The day before surgery I told my in laws (my parents have passed already). Now I'm more open about it as I just don't care who thinks what. I did this for me and I'm finally comfortable just telling anyone and everyone as I don't really care anymore what they think. But at least they'll know if they decide to ask quesitons for themselves and they won't wonder whenever I eat such small portions. But it's all what YOU are comfy with hon. Negative Nellies will always exist and it is easier to deal with any of that AFTER surgery IMO (in my opinion). Best of luck!

hi all

i posted above (#3) that except my immediate family, i told no one. the truth is i don't really have any friends to talk to except all you guys.

Yesterday i went to PT. One of the PT assistants i've known over the years, all of a sudden asked me if i had lost weigt, she said i looked great.

I said yes with a secret smile on me. she said how did i do it (she is a very good average weight.) she asked me if was eating better food, quantities etc. i said yes thats true. but than i took a big sign and told her i had surgery.

she said wow. and from there on she asked alot of nice questions and it was great, especially about the part that 85% of my stomach was gone. I am so glad i told her, and it felt great.

Funny how things change

kathy

I told my 2 close friends at work what I was having done and my HR department knows, but other than that no one else knows what I had especially my direct supervisor because she does not know the meaning of the word confidential and I just don't feel that she needed to know. I know that my friend told a few people about the hernia part of the surgery to get them to leave her alone. But since I have been out this week the rumors started flying and my poor friend has been hearing them all because everyone is coming to her asking her. Apparently I had surgery to get pregnant with twins...lol. My friend sent out an email telling everyone off yesterday then called to tell me she did it and asked if I was mad. Please, I have more to worry about right now than you putting people in their place on my behalf :)

In retaliation for me not telling my boss what I was having done she went to the two bosses over her and instead of telling them that I was having to leave and make up time due to doctor's appointments and a few procedures I had to have done prior to the surgery, she told them that I have attendance issues. The had no clue that I was even having surgery until another supervisor was trying to get me moved into her department and the refused, because of my "attendance issues" and she told them what was going on.

I am scheduled to have my surgery June 4th. My boss of course knows I'm having the surgery and one other co worker. My question for everyone is when did you start telling co workers? I work in the same hospital I'm having surgery in. I work will ALL women. I haven't said anything to anyone but it's going to be obvious when I come back to work when I am on a liquid diet' date=' then puréed. Guess I'm just wondering how everyone else handle it. Thanks[/quote']

I am not telling them I told a few ladies that I am having an exploratory surgery for some gallstones at in all truth have given me trouble in the past I only have told my 2 sister's and my hubby of course and one daughter my son knows I am having surgery but he thinks it is stones he is 13 and immature and one day called me a PIG when he got pissed off so I will not tell him he later apologized but hat coming from my son hurt me badly

I am scheduled to have my surgery June 4th. My boss of course knows I'm having the surgery and one other co worker. My question for everyone is when did you start telling co workers? I work in the same hospital I'm having surgery in. I work will ALL women. I haven't said anything to anyone but it's going to be obvious when I come back to work when I am on a liquid diet' date=' then puréed. Guess I'm just wondering how everyone else handle it. Thanks[/quote']

I am June 4 the too :-)

I didn't tell a whole lot of coworkers before the surgery because I just didn't want to talk about it every single day. But now that it's over I don't care who knows. Firstly, I couldn't live with myself trying to be dishonest or hiding something. But the big reason is, it was one of my coworkers who inspired me to have the surgery indirectly. We were talking one day and out of the blue he told me he had a bypass. He was very up front and honest about the whole ordeal. It really helped remove the stigma of the whole thing from my mind. After that I started doing all my research and had my first doctor visit a month later. So I hope by being honest and open about my surgery, I may one day inspire someone else to improve their life.

I told the one person in my dept that can't hold Water. She told any and everybody she could, and I just shrugged every time I was asked. Because we're OR nurses, everybody chimed in with their concerns about leaks, malnutrition, dehydration, and all of the above. I told them if I didn't do it, I'd be dead in a few years anyway. No one had a comeback for that one. The funny thing is that two other nurses came out the closet about their plans to have WLS too, so then it was the big girls against the skinnies.

I told them if I didn't do it' date=' I'd be dead in a few years anyway. No one had a comeback for that one. [/quote']

Right on!!!