Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suppose I Should Introduce Myself.

Just signed up tonight.

I am having my band removed and then revising to the sleeve. All my surgeon's idea. I was shocked that he even suggested it. No scheduling of things as of yet. Looking at removal in June? with revision in August. Now I need to research and wrap my brain around what is happening. So. Here I am.

Welcome! What questions do you have?

Welcome! You will find everyone around here very supportive and helpful. Best of luck to you in your journey!

Thanks!

Mini, I'm think I'm still too clueless to even have any questions yet! LOL!

I've been banded since August, 2008. Did fairly well to begin with. Then while on vacation in 2009 got the flu. I threw up a lot. Got swollen. By the time I got home, I could barely swallow my own spit. I went nearly a week w/barely any Water even. Had an unfill. I have had fill, with subsequent unfill ever since. I think something happened during the flu. Have gained back up to surgery day weight and since re-lost about 15#s.

Had an upper GI recently b/c of complications from another over-fill. Doc mentioned my band looked like it was sitting too high but since I seemed to be okay at this fill level, we left things alone. That was a couple of months ago.

Recently as I ate, within a couple of bites I was getting that too full in the throat feeling. Made an appointment to see my doc again. It then progressed to feeling it at the first bite. By the time I saw him Wednesday, it's now a constant feeling.

Before I saw him I emailed him and asked him to compare the films from the recent GI and the one from last year. When he walked in to the room at my appointment he sat down and asked me what we're going to do. I told him I was at a loss. I'm afraid of fills, afraid of un-fills and really don't know how to play this anymore.

He told me we had three choices. One, take the band out. Two, take the band out. Three, leave it alone. One w/a revision to sleeve. Two w/a revision to bypass. Three, un-fill, leave it alone, NOT recommended.

After I took a minute, asked him what he thought. He thinks the sleeve would be best for me but that probably means TWO surgeries. Removal now with Revision to follow in August. If I was to do bypass, removal and revision can take place at the same time.

I told him we're going with the sleeve. BUT if my band is so high, It's basically sitting at the bottom of my esophagus w/a VERY tiny pouch, there may be a slim chance of doing revision at the same time. That would be so nice.

Anyway, now I'm just gathering info and reading as much as I can. Today I ordered the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury starter kit to start trying stuff. Looks like maybe post-op is going to be a little different than it was with the band. I didn't have to do clears w/that. I don't have a timeline other than maybe June and August. I have to go to my surgeon's orientation so that will give me more info. But I don't even know when that will be yet. For a planner, all this up in the air stuff is going to start making me crazy. :P

MamaM,

There are a number of folks here who have revised from band to sleeve. I actually am doing the same in July. It is incredibly frustrating because I think we all went into the band situation with great expectations.

The good news is that the success rate with the band seems to be much higher. I think you are right to get as much info as you can.

You are gonna do great.

Welcome! You've come to the right place to find lots of information and advice.

I am a band to sleeve revision too. Had my surgery 5/4/12, so still in the healing process, but so far so good. I had my band removal and revision in one surgery after having the band for 9 years and it malfuntioning for the last 3 years.

Best of luck in your upcoming revision :)

MamaM, There is a forum here for people who have revised from Band to Sleeve. It seems to be a fairly common revision and some of those folks only had one surgery. I never had a band, but that forum is a great place for answers to your questions...or maybe to tell you what questions you should be asking. Several of our most successful posters are band to sleeve revisions: Lil Miss Diva, Tiffykins.

Good luck!! Here's hoping you get some relief very soon!

Thank you all so much.

It's hard b/c I researched extensively and took a lot of time to decide to actually go for WLS in the first place. I had such high hopes and sometimes feel like I was sold a bill of goods.

Now. Seems like I'm starting all over again. Hate that. Part of me wants to get excited. You know, new start and all. The other part of me is terrified that this won't help w/my WL process either. I also have NO enthusiasm for the surgery/healing process either.

My band should have helped me do what I needed to do. Be the tool that it is. Should have only had to do this once. Dangit!

I'm still wandering around here getting the hang of things. I'll have to look up the band-sleeve board.

I know Diva! She's awesome. Has done an amazing job and is so encouraging to others.

Thanks y'all!!!!

Surgeon called me at work yesterday afternoon.

Surgery June 4th w/an attempt to do both the removal and revision at the same time.

Psych eval this morning.

Orientation Friday afternoon.

Blood work and EKG to follow.

MamaM, don't feel bad about the band experience. Keep looking to the good things ahead. That is teh decision I had to make because I was totally pissed about the bad band experience.

And congrats that your insurance is going to take good care of you through this.

MamaM, don't feel bad about the band experience. Keep looking to the good things ahead. That is teh decision I had to make because I was totally pissed about the bad band experience.

And congrats that your insurance is going to take good care of you through this.

That IS where I am right now. Angry. Not happy I have to do this all over again. I seriously took the band surgery as my one shot deal. I am getting better about it. Feeling discombobulated and out of sorts. Lots to do and feel like I'm running out of time, kind of thing.

Talking to the psych the other day actually helped a lot. I was in there for about an hour w/him. Didn't seem like I'd been in there that long. Only seemed like moments! I told him how angry I was. How, with what was happening with my fills/unfills I was still trying to figure out how to make it work for me.

Anyway, I'm doing better. It's only been a week since my surgeon told me it had to come out. Surgery is in 2 weeks. Tomorrow I'm at appointments all day, surgeon, class, chest x-ray, EKG, etc. Did the bloodwork this AM before work. Monday I start the 2 week pre-op diet. I'm not sure what it is but probably all liquids. I'll find out tomorrow.

Thank you all again!