Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I REALLY want to stick with yoga, despite my struggles with it. Now that I've read numerous studies confirming that you don't have to lift heavy to get strong and toned (and even bulk up -- see my other post this morning), I'm more convinced than ever that the kind of core strengthening and balance work in yoga could be really good for me, especially as I get older.

But, I get really frustrated with it! The two things that I notice are that my lower body and core seem to be really (relatively) weak. I'm all upper body/chest/arm strength, and very little in my midsection/legs/core/stabilizers. I've also noticed that I have real problems with balance... when I'm supposed to be perched in some pose on one arm and one leg, I really wobble and tend to fall over. I get frustrated and self-conscious about it!

I wonder if the two issues are related; is it possible that my balance issues are due to weak core/lower body/stabilizer muscles? Also, I wonder -- hope -- that these things will improve over time; any yogis care to comment -- did anyone out there graduate from klutz to graceful with enough yoga practice? I just want to know that there's some light at the end of the tunnel -- if I stick with it, I *will* see improvement... right? Or am I just doomed to be wobbling and falling over forever?

You are not doomed. It will get better the more you do it. And, yes, when your core and your legs get stronger you will be able to balance easier. I have done a ton of balance work with my trainer and it has helped so much. I love it! To me it is empowering to balance in different ways!!

One thing that is key is to really work on your breathing while you are doing yoga/balance exercises. Concentrating on your breathing and learning to relax will be key in making this work. Take a deep breath before you start an exercise and really try to zone out. You can't be thinking about the other people in the room believe me they are so focused they aren't paying any attention to you. Focus your eyes on something and breathe and this will help you relax and focus, when you do this everything else will fall into place. Keep working at it and you will be amazed at the progress you will make!:)

My husband, very reluctantly, started joining me in yoga each morning b/c he wants to improve his ride (cycle) quality. At first we couldn't make it through a workout together b/c I would end up on the floor laughing so hard I had to hold myself, but eventually he got it. Hrs not great at it & by no means looks graceful, BUT be can tell a difference in his ride. He doesn't fall as much. Also, if you can get your hands on a copy of AB-ripper X (the P90X core video) that is a great ab workout & its just 15 minutes. Try ordering a 10-minute solution yoga video at home to avoid embarrassment! Start with one 10-minute section then add on each week. You'll see a difference within a week. Make sure you really listen to the cues that the instructor is giving b/c we've conditioned our bodies to slouch or stand incorrectly, so try to do exactly what she is saying & watch her moves at first. You cab do this. Yoga is super beneficial!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm signed up for an "absolute beginner's" class for a few weeks. I wish I could find individual instruction, at least until I start making progress!