Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have theses stabbing gas pains in between my shoulder blades & in my chest. I can't burp, really, like I could once upon a time. I used a heating pad on my back for hours. Please, I'll do anything....suggestions.

Walking is the only thing that really helps and gas x strips.

It doesn't sound like the gas in in your tummy, The gas is in the abdominal cavity. Walking is a great way to help move and absorb the gas. ;) Sorry you have to struggle with this issue. It will get better.

How far post-op are you? And are the pains there all the time, or at mealtime, or...?

Between shoulderblades and chest is the "classic" pain zone for the esophagus, so I'm wondering if it's more related to how/what you're eating, and how your body is pushing the food down, than gas.

It started after I ate applesauce (no sugar added - natural). I eat a bit from the tip of the spoon, when I eat anything. I'm taking the Prevacid for heartburn, that's why I thought it was probably gas.

If you're not that far out from surgery, that shoulder pain is very common after laparoscopic surgery. It is air. I didn't have much fortunately, but my hubby had it for about 2-1/2 weeks after surgery and was very uncomfortable.And walking is the best thing for it. If it gets worse than it is now though, please call your dr.

How long does the blasted air last? It literally came out f nowhere. I find it hard to believe a little cup of apple sauce caused this much discomfort. I was sleeved on 4/23/12.

Gas pain shouldn't be centralized around the esophagus (the phrenic nerve terminates in the lower neck, which is why we feel the gas pain usually in the shoulder/collar bone area). It usually causes a fairly sharp pain, or lasting dull but very noticeable pain, and can sometimes feel like a "pinched nerve." The CO2 can also irritate the peritoneal tissue, but being more than a few days out I wouldn't think you would still be suffering from that irritation.

Especially if it is definitely related to something you ate, I'm still thinking esophagus or something with your stomach that is causing a referred pain in the region of the esophagus. If it comes and goes you might be having spasms - they can hurt a lot. I'm not a Dr, that's just my best guess. Def. call your doc and mention it, and make sure you mention that it seems related to eating (and specifically applesauce). If it is a spasm of some kind there are meds that can take care of it. If it is a referred pain, he/she can help you troubleshoot the cause.

FWIW, when I had my lapband AND so far with my sleeve, the food that causes me the most pain is what I would call "slimy fruits" - applesauce, pureed fruit, cooked strawberries, etc. I had to take some additional meds my first 3 weeks post-op and for one of them, I was told to crush it and mix it with some canned, pureed or "well cooked" fruit. Ouch! Felt just like the days of having something "stuck" with my lapband, which could often get near agonizing.

FWIW, when I have esophageal pain, it starts in the chest/shoulderblades, and the refers to either side of my belly button, my hips, and eventually my spine. Referred pains are no fun. So if during one of your "attacks" you notice pain in strange places, it's not necessarily cause for alarm.

Thank you for the info. The funny thing is, the applesauce is the only thing I've enjoyed, besides an Italian ice.