Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a nurse working the night shift too.. My job is mostly desk work since I work in drug rehab, but I'm worried about being so tired at night once 3 am rolls around. I'm planning on going back to work 1 week post op since my job is desk work

I'm a nurse working the night shift too.. My job is mostly desk work since I work in drug rehab, but I'm worried about being so tired at night once 3 am rolls around. I'm planning on going back to work 1 week post op since my job is desk work

I work nights and find that I really retain Water when Im working... I also feel like my weightloss slowed waaaaay down after I went back to work.

I retain 2-3 lbs when I work nights

I work as a nurse as well night shift. I had a hard time adjusting. On busy nights it's really hard for me to take in my fluids and eat.... I also retain 2-3 lbs of Water. Whenever I work i noticed that I wont loose weight until a day or two after my shifts are over .

So crazy that y'all posted this cause I'm also a night nurse that recently returned to work last night I felt hungry more often but then again I'm not able to sit down and eat a meal so I'm constantly picking at my lunch throughout the whole shift and trying to get enough calories in cause I know how much I need them especially cause I'm constantly going for 12 hours . The dr said at my two week follow up that when your not getting enough fluids that your body will retain Fluid so im sure that's why we tend to retain Water cause we probably aren't getting enough fluids in cause I know as hard as I work even though I think I'm getting a sufficient amount of fluids as hard as we work we need double the amount that we usually get which is obviously easier said than done !!! I know that was a huge run on sentence but oh well haha :-) oh yeah and happy nurses week to my fellow nurses !!!

i work on a neuro unit where most of my patient cannot turn, walk, and talk. we have a lift team that comes around every so often and sometimes i can ask my coworkers but how long after you had the surgery did you guys go back to work?i dont want to tell my coworkers about the surgery. theyre all nosy and gossipers as it is. after reading this thread its kind of discouraging knowing because i work night shift that i will retain the weight and my progress will be slower:( i have yet to have the surgery because the money but also because i need to request the days off first. i work three 12s a week so i can probably get 6 to 8 days off in a row. im going to Dr. Ortiz at the OCC in mexico so i believe its one day hospitalization and 2 days in a hotel. then its off home.

I'm not a nurse, I work nights in an office, so I have limited movement. I went back to work 3 days post op, but my results have been great. I'm 2 months out and down almost 50 lbs since surgery. I went into the operating room weighing 270, and as of yesterday I weighed 229. Hope that helps. The loss was slow at first, but now I'm averaging about 5 lbs/week

I went back two weeks post op. I am a nurse on a heavy post op med/surg floor, and the first two nights I can say I was sore, but I was glad to get back into a routine. The one condition I had going back was NO LIFTING. My coworkers knew that I had my sleeve done so I have no issues asking anyone for help. In fact last week I had a small elderly lady who probably was 80 lbs soaking wet, and u went to reposition her and a coworker walked by and saw me and immediately stepped in and did the moving for me. Also, keeping up in hydration is a challenge. I have Water bottles at my work station and the nurses station so I always have water nearby. If you don't think you will have support and coworkers helping you out when it comes to lifting and moving patients, you may want to take that extra time off...

Good luck! There are so many of us night shifters here!! ????

I'm not a nurse' date=' I work nights in an office, so I have limited movement. I went back to work 3 days post op, but my results have been great. I'm 2 months out and down almost 50 lbs since surgery. I went into the operating room weighing 270, and as of yesterday I weighed 229. Hope that helps. The loss was slow at first, but now I'm averaging about 5 lbs/week[/quote']

Wow 50 in 2 months! Such and inspiration! I can't wait til August

So im going to try and go back to work after 8 days. Im hoping that because im fairly young , 24, that maybe i can do it. But you know how when you are stressed and your body goes into flight or fight mode n all the blood gets shunted to the priority organs? I think this is what causes me to get stomach pains during my shift. Im still getting the hang of things at my new job. Luckily i told our lift team bout my surgery so they have a heads up on my needs for turning a pt. omggg... I told a few coworkers im going to have surgery so they can also help me n they all asked what kind of surgery it was and i said a cholecystectomy! I couldnt think of anythinggg! I wasnt prepared for them to ask! But i told them to keep it a secret. I dont know if gallbladder problems arise in 20 somethings. I just dont want problems to arise wen i need to ask for the time off ( schedules not finalized yet).

I had my surgery with Dr. Ortiz on Monday April 16th. I just took a week off from work and flew back home on Friday. I wanted some extra time in Cali and am glad that I took it. I felt fantastic and still do!!! :)

Did you take an extra week off in order to recover or just hang out in Cali? Sorry just curious.

How are we doing night shifters? My weight loss has been great so far, 19.5 lbs ( as of last thurs) and I have been doing better with drinking fluids. I make sure I fill my large water bottle at least 3 times during my 12 hr shift. Challenges Are always the Snacks that coworkers bring in.. But I always have something on my own (usually sugar free pudding). I have been sleeping better during the day and u contribute that to all the Protein and hardly any carbs still at this point. No lifting yet but coworkers always chip in... I see my surgeon sometimes on my floor ( i work on the post op bariatric floor) and he always says how proud he is of me and that always makes me smile :))

Congrats on the great results! I was sleeved 3/12, surgery weight was 271, as of today my weight is 225! I'm very pleased with the results considering my job is as an analyst so I sit and stare at a computer screen for 10 hours a night.

Hello my fellow night owls! Things have been going well for me lately. I am now losing about 2-3lbs a week, was sleeved 3/12 with a starting weight of 235 I am now down to 181! So I am pleased with how things are going.

Staying awake all night has gotten easier, sleeping well during the day but I am still having a real hard time trying to get in enough fluids and have now started having some dizzy spells. Working in L&D I am sometimes in pushing with a pt for 2-3 hours without a sip of Water. I am trying to hydrate well prior to work but doesn't always work out. Also my hair has started coming out in huge amounts so I am struggling with that and trying to remind myself I won't be bald lol. I am not having any issues with all the Snacks laying around and have actually found a Protein Bar at Walmart called Premiere Protein that has 30grams of protein in a bar and actually tastes pretty good so I will snack on that instead of chips and candy. I do however miss Pepsi and sometimes daydream about having one haha! For the most part things are going really well and I am so happy I had the sleeve! Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the nightshifters are doing!