Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thread Killers

Thought it might be fun to make a list of things that render an active, fun-loving thread... well, Dead.

I was reading the other day and I saw for the ka-zillionth time or so where some well meaning newbie jumped into a lively discussion to ask the question. You know the one... "What is a PB?"

Don't get me wrong, I am sure I did it too. Well maybe, I sure hope not.

What can someone post that will make you shut it down and walk away?

I think it's sometimes difficult to get one's point of view across in this medium. Sometimes people "read" the meaning as different than it was intended. Once I see people attacking each other, I tend to not follow the thread anymore. What I would like to see is people asking for clarification before assuming and going on the defensive.

any post where someone comes out of surgery and post the next day saying how they are starving and can't handle the liquis diet another minute and it hasn't even been 24 hours.

i get tired of reading about people searching for a swet spot and expecting it to mean that they don't have to have any self control at all.

or any hijacked post. i like stcking to the subject and feel new threads should be started if you want to go ot.

I get tired of people posting that they eat junk/soft food and then complain that they aren't losing. Didn't we all KNOW that coming into this band?

I get tired of people posting that they eat junk/soft food and then complain that they aren't losing. Didn't we all KNOW that coming into this band?
Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner!! This annoys me to no end.

I can forgive the newbie that enters a thread asking a question that doesn't go with the theme of the thread....afterall, they may not understand how to manipulate and maneuver through the board.

However, I'm with the others who are tired of reading posts from those who continue to make bad food choices and then complain, get depressed, etc that they are not losing weight fast enough. I received material from place of surgery that gives me enough information on what I should be eating and what I should be avoiding. The band is a tool.....not a miracle gadget.

Seems to me that all comon sense just went out the window on that one.......C'mom people, PUT DOWN THE COOKIES!

Carol.

I don't like posters who ALWAYS have something negative to say about whatever some one posts, and it doesn't matter who or what they posted.

I don't like the public mud slinging or attacks on any one person, I leave the thread once this happens until if ever it gets back on track.

I don't like threads that are gears or actually are meant for cheating the band.

Or people who continually ask about eating foods before their Dr. said it's okay...Like we can help you if you do it and hurt yourself? No you'll have to go to the Dr and explain why you didn't take his/her advice...

oh and hehe, I hate being the last person to post in a thread because I do feel like I killed the thread or why didn't anyone say anything to me I'm not important, I don't fit in etc.

oh and hehe, I hate being the last person to post in a thread because I do feel like I killed the thread or why didn't anyone say anything to me I'm not important, I don't fit in etc.

Nana the thread killer! My hero!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Wow! You ladies have said it all! I would have to agree. Apathy is a big turn-off, and designated victims are hard to handle.

I hate being the last poster too, but didn't want it to happen to any of you guys. I have "killed" my fair share of threads. What a lonely sensation. If this is the last post...well, it is only fair since I started it.

Toodles, Brenda

I hate it when people disagree specifically with something someone else says. Like when they quote you specifically and then pick what you've said to pieces. That pisses me off and I've not been back here for five days for exactly that reason. Rude rude rude. Although I have done it once or twice myself.

Oops, I probably just killed this thread. Sorry, I dont mean to be so grumpy.

I'm a bit over the plastic surgery threads. I'm so happy for the people who've lost their weight and have to get that skin taken off, what a fitting end to a highly victorious battle. But all the "I'm going to be so HOT" bores me. That's fantastic, but sometimes it all gets so superficial. What we are going to be is wondefully happy, victorious and feeling the best we can about ourselves. Whether or not we look HOT to others is irrelevant and very very superficial. What in the heck is wrong with looking 40 (or 45 or 80) for crying out loud? Who needs a washboard stomach? Or gravity defying boobs? Those arent what make a person beautiful.

It's hard to be forgiving, I know, not only are there newbies to the band but, newbies to the computer too..............(me, for instance):phanvan but I'm getting better.:)

hehe i like this thread......

the one thing that REALLY REALLY annoys me, and its a stupid little thing...is when some one posts something like....share your favorite poem or something along those lines, and then people start posting like their favorite recipe or something. It's not really off topic because they are trying to post along the same lines, but its not what was asked for to begin with. I got bitchy on a thread last week because of that. (shame on me) some one asked for things we take for granted and people just started posting things they love or whatever....annoys me...damn little nit picker that I am.

As for the mud slinging threads...I mean I know they aren't nice and I know that it shouldn't be done....but their fun to read... (of course as long as the mud isn't being slung at me) I'll just mention that I'm an avid Jerry Springer fan....:guess

My guilty pleasure is the mud slinging thread. I love a heated debate... Everyone has been on such good behavior lately tho... :)

Edit***

Nothing really kills a thread for me... that was my point. :0) I like reading folks opinions... Until it gets really personal and ugly. But good arguements are interesting to me.