Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Weeks Of Pre Op For Me Baby... Heeeeeeeeeeeeelllllppppp

I have a higher BMI.. I am instructed to go on it starting tomorrow, 4 Weeks.. and doc wants me to lose 40lbs in that time frame... I am self pay so I am gonna do this.. but I kow it will be hard.. surgery date is 5/17 with Dr. Alvarez.. I'm more worried about energy.. I have a job that is physically demanding ( I haul cars and drive an 18 Wheeler ) and I'm very worried I won't have the energy to do so.. I work long hours and no steady sleep schedule.. any advice on how to keep any enegy other than drink the 5 hour stuff.. ?

I have a higher BMI.. I am instructed to go on it starting tomorrow' date=' 4 Weeks.. and doc wants me to lose 40lbs in that time frame... I am self pay so I am gonna do this.. but I kow it will be hard.. surgery date is 5/17 with Dr. Alvarez.. I'm more worried about energy.. I have a job that is physically demanding ( I haul cars and drive an 18 Wheeler ) and I'm very worried I won't have the energy to do so.. I work long hours and no steady sleep schedule.. any advice on how to keep any enegy other than drink the 5 hour stuff.. ?[/quote']

My Surgery is April 28th with Dr. Alvarez and I am day 6 of my 14 day pre-op diet. I would tell you to drink as much Protein as possible to keep your energy up. You need ready to drink shakes, Gatorade and propel Water with being on the road. I like Atkins and AES shakes in the carton. I take them to work and they are easy and I can drink them. I would not do the 5 hour energy shots, they can't be good for you. They made my heart race and my husband threw them away.

My boyfriend is a truck driver and when he needs to drive all night he mixes a bottle mountain dew with BC powder and he is wide awake all night..... I know it has sugar so maybe u can try diet mountain dew. It does the trick everytime when an energy drink never gives him energy.

bc powder ? i looked that up..thats only for pain how does that keep him up? im interested in the answer to this thread too since im actually going through cdl school right now and will be getting surgery right after ...i want to know realistically how long im going to need to recover before i go over the road cross country driving 6-11 hours a day

I have a higher BMI.. I am instructed to go on it starting tomorrow' date=' 4 Weeks.. and doc wants me to lose 40lbs in that time frame... I am self pay so I am gonna do this.. but I kow it will be hard.. surgery date is 5/17 with Dr. Alvarez.. I'm more worried about energy.. I have a job that is physically demanding ( I haul cars and drive an 18 Wheeler ) and I'm very worried I won't have the energy to do so.. I work long hours and no steady sleep schedule.. any advice on how to keep any enegy other than drink the 5 hour stuff.. ?[/quote']

Are you doing Optifast? I did that years ago for six months...one of my many diets. Ha! Anyway, the first week will be pure hell, but after that, you should find that you have plenty of energy. Your body should go into ketosis. At that point you'll have little appetite (I had to force down five of those a day) and enough energy. That first week will be very hard. I guess just take it as easy as you can and be prepared with diet Propel or diet Gatorade if you need extra energy.

Really, you have nothing to worry about. I drive a 165' crewboat in Port Fourchon of all places. I dont know if you ever delivered to a oilfield dock before but my vessel hold 5 18wheeler loads and my destination is 5h49m away from the sea bouy. I thought the samething as you did about the energy to keep up mental alertness. But as far as physical demands lol hardest thing we do is press on the gas and turn a wheel.

Just wait till the DOTD starts jumping on yall for yall weight and sleep apnea like the coast guard did to me. Its coming because I already heard its in the works. Its a good thing your getting a headstart before they start pulling yall licenses like they are doing ours.

bc powder ? i looked that up..thats only for pain how does that keep him up? im interested in the answer to this thread too since im actually going through cdl school right now and will be getting surgery right after ...i want to know realistically how long im going to need to recover before i go over the road cross country driving 6-11 hours a day

I'm not sure how BC works but another driver recommended that to him and he's stuck with it since. Doesn't give u wired energy but it keeps u awake and alert. As far as recovery , I would wait a month before being on the rd cause it's a tough job out there. Mine is an owner operator and if you're a company driver, then they really don't care about u, just the load getting where it needs to.

Just a word of warning about Mt Dew. It has the highest caffeine content of any soda. My brother used to drink Dew constantly, until he developed kidney stones. The first round didn't convince him to dump the sodas, but that second round just about killed him with pain. The hospital literally put him on a morphine pump and it didn't touch the pain. Nowadays, he drinks Water as if it were a religion.

I'm not sure what's in BC powders, although I suspect it's got caffeine, too. I think it's bad news to use any kind of pain meds in a manner not consistent with it's label. Maybe your bf should ask his doctor about using that to stay awake?

As for KB7274, the pre-op liquid diet will be tough for the first few days, but once you settle into a routine, it should be much easier. I second the suggestion to keep plenty of cold ready to drink shakes around. Perhaps your doctor would allow you to add in one low fat meal a day if you really are struggling with the diet. I had a 53 BMI and only needed to do two weeks pre-op. But, your doctor knows what is necessary better than I do! :)

Good luck!

Lisa, he's honestly only did it a few times, I never really got deep down into the conversation with him, he's a pretty healthy guy and is not overweight. It was just something that popped into my head when reading that post. I know how hard it is being on that road. And ur right about the sugar, that's y I was nervous about saying anything, I apologize.

I would try the Pure Protein 100% whey protein (you can buy big jugs of them at Target) it has 25 grams of protein. For energy try Lifewater B-Energy or VitaWater with the Highest Vitamin B contents. The vitamin B's will help keep your energy up, it has zero calories though it has 4 grams of carbohydrates. I'm waiting for bcbsil to approve surgery and I have to do 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I have been on Pure Protein 100% Whey protein for Breakfast for the past 6 months, I keep my carbs at between 40-75 a day and I went from 299-245 during this six months. I plan on starting megavitamins this week to build up my Vitamins. I have Lupus and I get sick very easily. Having surgery is a scary step, but doing whatever it takes to make it successful and never having to put yourself there again is a what it's about. Good Luck to you.

Well I'm on the road and finished up day 2.. Living off GNC lean Protein Shake and Water with a couple of shots of mio energy in it.. I am also using a b Vitamin that dissolves under the tounge for a little pep.. This afternoon though started feeling really weak. I went to a near by Chinese food place and got a small egg drop Soup. I think I'm OK with it.. Good Protein and it is a clear soup. Felling a little better after that.

Hey KB look what I am about to tell you is going to be the hardest thing for you. If you keep your carbs real low "I used promasil from GNC - 0 carbs" drink 6 shakes per day and maybe some egg drop Soup if you have to -chicken broth or hot n spicy would be better choices btw- by the time 10 days rolls around you will absolutely be NOT hungry. My last 4 days Preop I wasnt hungry at all. Totally amazed me.

I was fortunate to have a training captain work with me for my preop period just in case I fell out. But I never had any problems. Now post op is another story. Thats where u should be worrying. At 3 weeks post op I was puking on alot of stuff. Getting dizzy when I stood up from sitting. So please schedule some time off post op. Many times I was offloading and having to run to the side the vessel to throw up. Imaging having to hit the side the road really fast. So its in everyones best interest for anyone operating heavy machinery to take atleast a month off.

Goodluck and stick to it

ha ..gnc Protein deals i actually bought 2 4 packs to get a head start on when i start my pre op..im going to be having a 4 pack each day for the 14 days along with some liquid B 12 for energy and alertness and faster metabolism for the fat..and ya im day 2 right now of cdl training..21 days to go getting nervous because monday ill be getting in and out of the trucks for the first time and as a big guy its going to be fun for others to watch im sure =(

Derel.. Thanks so much for the advice.. I have the option of taking all the time I need before starting back. As long as I can have Soup ever now and then I should be fine.. Not really fighting hunger as of now ( only day 3) as yesterday I was feeling very weak.. Breathing seemed like work. Feel better now though. Only intake 800 to 1000 calories a day.. I'm sure I'm going to have my ups and downs these next couple of days. More downs lol.

Honda good luck to you... In both your sleeve and driving.. I grew up around trucks my whole life.. My dad owned 9 and I love it.. It's a good and honest profession.