Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Optifast - Pre-Op Diet

Hello,

I am on day 4 of my pre-op diet and surgery is scheduled for April 2. For these two weeks, I am supposed to have 5 shakes a day. I hate the way this tastes and at most, I am able to get 3 down a day. I am not eating anything else and I only drink Water besides the shakes. I was told that the point of the liquid pre-op diet is to help your liver shrink. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks =)

I am also on a pre-op diet but my Doctor gives me 3 options.. 2 shakes and a slim fast or other shake, 2 weeks of Atkins (phase 1) or all liquids. My surgery isn't until April 16th but I wanted to start early (I need to lose 15 lbs minimum). I have been watching for about about 7 or 8 days and am down about 6 lbs so far. I've been pretty much watching my carbs, eating lots of fresh salad, grilled chicken, turkey or fish and I ALWAYS have the weight watcher veggie Soup readily available. It's basically a free food and always hits the spot when I feel hungry. I have to go on all liquids 3 days before surgery so that alone should make me drop a few lbs. This whole phase is definitely mental for me. You just have to keep your mind "in the zone".... We are all here to support you!! :)

Thanks for the information and good luck to you! I would much rather the options that your doctor provided. I tried to call the office, but the nutritionist is only there Wednesday - Friday so by the point I would get to even ask, I probably would have to start doing liquid anyways since it would be so close to my surgery. This really sucks!!! I am not even craving unhealthy food. UGH!!!

i too had to two weeks liquid diet.. n who does not love eating? it was long but well worth it, i lost 17 pounds with those shakes, i had vanilla n strawberry.. not a big fan of chocolate unless its not artificial.. but yea u get tired of them.. i had all 5 a day . also the diet is to help u get used to consuming 5 meals a day .. every 3 hours. so far so good i will be a month out on the 5 of april.. man time flies!..

I will try to drink 5 shakes a day. Yesterday, I had only 1 shake the entire today. So far for today, I had one shake so I have 4 more to go. Yes, I am losing weight - 10 pounds since Wednesday. I wonder if I have the willpower to do this, should I even do the surgery? This is extremely difficult. Congrats on your almost 1 month anniversary Enerfina =)

Thanks girl!!! Yay I got my doc appointment this Friday for the month op. Will power my friend is hard but u have to do it for u! . Like they once told me two weeks will go by fast n girl ten pounds that's great!

Today, I have 5 more days to go. I spoke to the doctor and he said that he has almost zero complications because he makes us do this horrible diet. That motivated me more. I cannot say that this is getting easier. Having to cook for a family is definitely torturous at this point lol Going for pre-surgical testing this morning. Almost there =)

Today its the start of my second week on my pre diet surgery. I been drinking crystal lite and eating a salad with chicken and lots of veggies later in the afternoon and I don't feel hungry that much. When I do. I eat tangerines and that's all. My surgery is April 17th and I'm nervous but anxious.. On the 3rd. I have to go to a seminar to prepare myself for surgery and on the 4th. I have to go for pre surgery testing and then I need a final final medical clearance from my doctor and praying the insurance will approve my surgery and that's it. My date has been schedule already .

Jocy - You are so lucky that you are allowed to eat food on your pre-op diet. Today is my day before surgery so I am allowed to eat broth and Water, but no Optifast shakes (and that is a refreshing change lol). Good luck to you :)