Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Single And Sleeved-Post Op Suggestions

I live alone and want to make sure everything is taken care of before surgery. Grocery store, meds, and Vitamins are all set. How else can I prepare beforehand to be comfortable after surgery?

Hi, I also live alone. I'm pretty lucky that my mom and boyfriend are going to help take care of me. I don't know if I should recover at home, I live on the top floor 2 sets of stairs so I don't know how easy it will be for me to get upstairs. Or I can go to my boyfriends which scares the crap out of me because it is haunted. I have great co workers as well and I know if I needed anything they would help. Do you have any co workers that can help? Family? Friends? Sorry I'm not much help. Keep in touch.

I have friends who are supportive. One is taking me Thursday. Another will come over after work Thursday and spend the night or two. Sandra is my bestie and will be motherly, waiting on me hand and foot. She already met my doctor. My other friend had lap band, I drove her to Mexico 3 years ago. I do have some support, but need as much education as possible to be prepared and successful. I have stairs too and I little worried about that. I also have to take care of my cat!

I have friends who are supportive. One is taking me Thursday. Another will come over after work Thursday and spend the night or two. Sandra is my bestie and will be motherly' date=' waiting on me hand and foot. She already met my doctor. My other friend had lap band, I drove her to Mexico 3 years ago. I do have some support, but need as much education as possible to be prepared and successful. I have stairs too and I little worried about that. I also have to take care of my cat![/quote']

When I have surgery probably late may early June I think I will stay home. I will just have to take it easy coming up my stairs. I think that when you go to meet the surgeon for last appointment before surgery they will tell you the things you should or shouldn't do. I would make a list of questions to ask. I have a few to ask. I have read some people are told they can't eat rice for at least a year. I know I have read lots of Protein and Water. Have you found a Protein you like? When Is your surgery? Where you getting it done at?

I am getting my surgery done this Thursday in Las Vegas, where I live. I realized I won't be able to lug items up the stairs, so today I stocked up on kitty litter and food, as well as detergent. I got some Soups but am going to get more, lugging those up the stairs now will be better for me. I picked up a travel shaker for my Protein Drinks. So far I have only tried muscle milk light, which doesn't have enough Protein and Bariatric Advantage, both in chocolate. I picked up some meds, but the pharmacist said she couldn't complete the order because the doctor didn't write the dosage, so I will have to get the rest Monday. What Protein Shakes do you like? Where is your surgery?

I got my shakes at costco and they have 30g of Protein, 1 g of sugar and 3g of fat!!! They are only 11 oz and they taste pretty good, so all u need is 2 a day!!! They're called Premier and are 24 for 18 of them. When I got my sleeve 4 weeks ago today, I needed a big pillow to rool out of bed or to cough and sneeze, I neded help showering the first 3 days, and I gad to go upstairs at the hospital and was fine with it I just had to do it slow. Also I would reccomend you get some sugar free Jello because the broth and crystal light get boring after a couple of days. I also had some sugar free candy for when I had to take my antibiotic which tasted sooo nasty!!!!

Make sure you have all the foods that the doc recommends you eat in the first two weeks after surgery. For me, I'm on a clear liquid diet so I picked up a ton of broth, clear juices (apple, cranberry, and grape), sugar-free Jello, Gatorade, and sugar-free popsicles. Try to get everything set for a week of taking it easy. Other than the food, I didn't need anything special.

Clean the cat box and put fresh litter in before you go. Also, if you can have one of your friends change it out for you on the next go around so you don't have to lift anything heavy.

Make sure you have a clear path to the restroom, move your area rugs and make sure all your electrical cords are along the walls and out of the way. (tripping hazards)

Buy lots of different Clear liquids, like FUZE Slenderize, Diet Green Tea, Crystal Light mixes, Diet V-8 Splash, sugar free Popsicles, etc. A variety is nice when all you can have is Clear Liquids.< /p>

Soups are good along with just plain chicken/beef bullion cubes. (low sodium if you can find them)

Just a few things that helped me out. I had someone there, but really I took care of myself. :P

I too live alone, but will be in the hospital for 2 days, after that I'm going to spend 2 days with my aunt then return home....I'm planning on stocking up the week before I have to go into the hospital and take some stuff to my aunts beforehand...after I come home my other aunt and uncle will be coming over and checking on me, so I have a supportative family...they are beginning to get excited for me...I am trying to start my pre-op diet 6 weeks early...I really dont want to lose 30 pounds before the procedure...

I'm going to have to get a costco membership! I bought a few today and then realized I only looked at the Protein. I bought muscle milk, cake batter and Cookies n cream, they have 32g of protein, 16g of fat, and 12 g of carbs! I bought cytosport, cookies n creme, 45g of protein, 9g of fat, and 11g of carbs! The Met-Rx powder I bought is a little better, cake batter and chocolate Peanut Butter, 38g of protein, 2.5g of fat, but 19g of carbs! I compared these to what my doctor gave me. Chike 28g of protein, 3.5 g of fat, and 11g of carbs. The Bariatric Advantage is 27g of protein, 2g of fat, and 8g of carbs. My doctor also gave me a sample of ENS + protein, but the info isn't listed. I start my liquid diet Tuesday, so I will start with the "bad" shakes, since they have more calories and fat, maybe they will keep me fuller for those two days pre-op. I have surgery Thursday, so after that, it sounds like my taste buds will change.

I am getting my surgery done this Thursday in Las Vegas' date=' where I live. I realized I won't be able to lug items up the stairs, so today I stocked up on kitty litter and food, as well as detergent. I got some Soups but am going to get more, lugging those up the stairs now will be better for me. I picked up a travel shaker for my Protein drinks. So far I have only tried muscle milk light, which doesn't have enough Protein and Bariatric Advantage, both in chocolate. I picked up some meds, but the pharmacist said she couldn't complete the order because the doctor didn't write the dosage, so I will have to get the rest Monday. What Protein shakes do you like? Where is your surgery?[/quote']

I tried Syntrax nectar. I liked the vanilla torte, Cappuccino, and chocolate. I bought a jug the other day and it doesnt taste the same so I want to try the costco one, but I have read your tastes buds change a lot after surgery. I don't know if that is true. I am having surgery in Portland, Oregon. Keep me posted on how your journey goes. I'm excited for you.

I too live alone' date=' but will be in the hospital for 2 days, after that I'm going to spend 2 days with my aunt then return home....I'm planning on stocking up the week before I have to go into the hospital and take some stuff to my aunts beforehand...after I come home my other aunt and uncle will be coming over and checking on me, so I have a supportative family...they are beginning to get excited for me...I am trying to start my pre-op diet 6 weeks early...I really dont want to lose 30 pounds before the procedure...[/quote']

Hi, PE vette, when do u get sleeved? I'm going to stock up myself.

Thanks furby036, you too.

I wouldn't stock up too much before surgery, your tastes change so much. Some of the shakes I could drink before surgery, I couldn't tolerate after. I also like the Premier brand shakes from costco, they're not so thick and smelly. Another one that I am able to get down, are the Isopure ready to drink from GNC. They kind of leave a nasty dry taste in your mouth, but at least they don't have a nasty smell. I've never tried the Isopure powder. If you have a GNC or Vitamin world near you, you could go there a week or so after surgery, and they will let you try stuff. And if you buy something there, and get it home, they will let you return it if you don't like it (GNC, not sure about Vitamin World). Good luck everyone! I'm only 2 weeks out, so I can't say much more, except that I am still a little sore, especially on days when I do too much. Still hurts to cough. But, I'm over 50 so don't heal as fast as you young ones!

I'm going to have to be thinking ahead also because I live alone,

not so worried on the diiet but

the thing about the shower bugs me now.