Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No food is going to stretch your sleeve unless you stuff yourself so full you explode. That's a stupid thing some docs/NUTs tell you to scare you into not eating bad foods because they think most people are not able comprehend how to eat properly without scare tactics. Sigh.

Crackers are a bad food to eat in general. Any food that will turn to mush if you put it into a glass of Water is going to end up being a "slider" food, and crackers are all carbs. My doc told me not to eat them at all and if I had to have one, only after I was about 6 month out (triscuits that are whole wheat if I eat them at all are less bad, but still bad - no saltines or ritz) .

The reason for the wait is to get your head straight on eating correctly - Proteins, veggies, complex carbs in moderation. Eating things like bread and crackers too early just get you hooked back on the crap foods you were eating before surgery.

You have to use this time to throw out how you used to eat and learn how to eat healthy, whole foods. If you don't get it figured out before the honeymoon period is over with, you could regain weight after your metabolism adjusts (about 12-18 months after surgery).

Edited by FrankiesGirl

Cucumber slices make the perfect cracker. Change how you think about food.

Crackers are terrible with zero nutrition.

Cucumber slices make the perfect cracker. Change how you think about food.

Crackers are terrible with zero nutrition.

Totally agree. I also love red pepper slices with things like chicken salad. :)

Crackers are a no-no food, especially during the weight loss phase. It's important to stick to a low-carb diet with the focus on Protein and non-starchy vegetables during the weight loss phase to maximize weight loss. Many people still don't realize that the weight loss phase is not permanent. Once it's over, it's over, meaning that you have reached the end of what the sleeve can do for you and if there is any additional weight that needs to be lost then you will have to do it the hard way, diet and exercise.

Additionally, other than the fact that they are high in carbs, crackers are slider foods, meaning they slide right down your sleeve and do not produce the necessary restriction. As a result, it's possible to eat a large amount of them.

I'm not saying you can't ever again eat crackers, just make sure you are eating them in moderation and not make it a daily thing. As you go further out from your surgery you will discover how every easy it is to sabotage your weight loss by eating the wrong foods.

What is it about "Eat Protein, eat Protein first, then as your stomach heals and you have more capacity eat colored (not white), low-glycemic veggies, and as capacity increases eat small amounts of whole grains" ... do y'all think means: "Eat crackers"?

Seriously -- put any cracker in a glass of Water and see how long it takes it to turn to mush. That's how you recognize a slider food. BTW, most crackers are made out of white flour. And you can't get much more "slider food" than white flour.

Here's the actual definition of slider food: food that's highly processed during the manufacturing process and doesn't require a lot of digestive time in the stomach before easily sliding on down through the pyloric valve into the intestine, leaving more room in the stomach so you can eat more of them.

I ate crackers about 3 weeks post surgery, because I was traveling, so I took those cracker and tuna kits with me. I needed to make sure I had food I could eat. :) I didn't have an issue, but I could only eat like, 2 crackers with tuna at one time. Be prepared for that!

Crackers are on our approved list for soft goods along with Protein. I just had a couple a few min. ago. I don't have an issue with feeling restriction with them and I limit myself. Each Dr and nutritionist plan is different. You are going to get differing opinions so do what is best for you as long as it coincide with your Nut recommendation

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

They are on the approved list for my program too along with a slew of other carbs. Even though they are in the book, my doctor and nutritionist said to avoid them to be successful. They have mashed potatoes on the list also. I wasn't eating mashed potatoes before surgery as they are just empty calories, wasn't going to start after surgery.

A lot of really large programs include all kinds of things to rope people in, but on an individual basis they tell people to avoid these things.

There are a lot of discrepancies in post op care.

If you think you can lose with crackers and you can meet your Protein goals with them, eat them.

My plan says crackers are ok as long as they are paired with Protein. I too like tuna, chicken and egg salad on crackers.

Be careful crackers can be a sneaky slider food

I have had Fat Free Ritz crackers and haven't had a problem. You just have to make sure you chew very, very well.