Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Those That Have Been Sleeved For A While

How long did it take before you were actually able to sit down and eat a meal! And dont get me wrong i love my sleeve the not being able to eat part is whats helping my weightloss, but Im just kind of wonderin when i can go on a date and actually be able to eat a meal as opposed to 3 bites and go damn im full.. ..

I've only been sleeved since last summer & I'm not even close to being able to eat a whole meal (maybe 5-6oz in a setting tops) Honestly I don't think I ever want to, 7 months in & its a fight to lose 2 lbs a week, there is no way I want to be able to eat more & make losing even harder.

its not really that i WANT to be able to eat a whole meal, but i would like to go on date and actually eat a meal..lol.. i feel like the girl that orders a salad just cuz i dont wanna eat in front of my man...totally not the case.. and its almost pointless to go out and eat right now.. about the only thing i can get more of one bite from is sushi..minus the rice. which is fine by me, but im just wondering if ill ever be able to enjoy a meal again?

its not really that i WANT to be able to eat a whole meal, but i would like to go on date and actually eat a meal..lol.. i feel like the girl that orders a salad just cuz i dont wanna eat in front of my man...totally not the case.. and its almost pointless to go out and eat right now.. about the only thing i can get more of one bite from is sushi..minus the rice. which is fine by me, but im just wondering if ill ever be able to enjoy a meal again?

Just curious what kind of sushi you can eat? I love sushi and I pretty much figured I wouldn't ever be able to eat it again.

i think u can enjoy many meal, just 1/2 a cup of it, so u can do 2 oz of ur Protein maybe 1 veg or starch n 1 fruit or something sweet?.. unless u wait 30mins n continue to gorge on the whole plate.. <_< ...would not recommend it.. stop when ur full. take ur time eating... :P

I eat out all the time. I enjoy visiting with people that I love and I have more time for conversation. I love sharing meals with others, even before my surgery, we all ate too much anyways. A meal to me is just Protein, veggies, and some starch. It just in smaller portions. My hubby is also learning to eat smaller portions too. People are eating way too much food! It's killing everyone. Now we can set a good example for others. Enjoy small portions and enjoy the small bites you can take. I do. ;)

Just curious what kind of sushi you can eat? I love sushi and I pretty much figured I wouldn't ever be able to eat it again.

i went to Iron sushi on monday.. :wub: i only could eat one california roll. :huh: . no one in my family likes sushi so the other 7 rolls r sitting in the fridge.. felt so bad buying the damn thing.. :angry: i could only eat one. :unsure: . it was so good. :rolleyes: . but now i know, u cant eat with ur eyes.. the mouth might be big but the stomach is small.. so hmmm... i got some rolls if u want em.. :D:lol:

I went on a date last night. We did the Applebee's 2 for $20. I ordered the steak and ate about 1/3 of it, plus my broccoli (left the yellow squash that was squashed, yuck!) and a couple of bites of mashed taters. The rest is in the fridge. My date told me that I could eat the whole steak; he wouldn't think I was a pig, so I fessed up about surgery. It doesn't bother me to tell and his reaction was "Oh." He knows several people who have had GB, so no big deal at all.

I can go to applebees and eat a half a steak and a few bites of veggie. I will be 5 mo. out on the 10th of April.

I have able to do that for about a month and a half.

Julie

Well, my definition of what a meal is has changed. When I go out with co-workers or friends that don't know my story, I can eat a whole meal. Now, what does that consist of? A side salad and a cup of soup!

Now, if I am out with my wife or her family, who know my story, I usually don't order anything at all. Everybody cuts off a bite and throws it on a salad plate. That is eating a whole meal to me. Everything changes with the sleeve and what we call a meal needs to change, too, otherwise we lament the days of overeating, which can do us no good.

Hey PDX!! I was looking for you yesterday! I wanted to say thanks for the advice about adding in some carbs before working out that you gave on the running thread. It's made a huge difference for me in the distance and times I'm getting on the exercise bike! :)

Hey Lissa, yes, it made such a huge difference for me. There is just so much to learn and adapt with our new bodies, isn't there? I am amazed at how quickly we can deplete our glycogen stores and how long it takes to refill them with our (relative) meager intake.

Glad to hear you found a solution! Keep up the good work!

ps I read your post about your date the other night. NICE!!

The date was nice. :)

I didn't even realize that I was always so exhausted getting off the bike because my glycogen stores were low until you posted that about running. Eating a banana, orange, and a mini babybel just before heading to the gym has made a huge difference in how far and fast I can ride. I was lucky before to get 4 miles in a half an hour, simply because I was so wiped out. Weds I rode six miles in half an hour and today I hit 7 miles in half an hour. Probably still slow compared to everyone else, but I am getting there!

I kind of feel like the poster child for obese and no exercise (pre-op), so I'm hoping that keeping this information public will help someone else who is just starting the journey to exercise after surgery. :)

I'm 19 months out and the only "complete" meals I can really ever finish are the ones I make at home when I am able to serve myself just the right amount...and even then I still over serve myself sometimes. But I normally take left overs for lunch everyday so it's all good.

I'm not gonna lie, it's kinda depressing sometimes. Especially when I go out and I want to enjoy more than a few bites :( ... but it's so worth it, otherwise I would be obese again. It's the power of sleevie wonder.

totally agree with sleeve 4 me...I cook 95% of the meals we eat so I dont waste food at home..But when we go out if I like what my husband orders I just share with him. Sometime he wants something too fatty or fried so I order my own and I just eat what I should and ask them to take the plate away when I am full. You can enjoy going out to eat with out eating too much. I learned that about 5 months out.