Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anybody Drink A Protein Shake Before Bed?

I need help!!! My husband says I should drink a Protein Shake before bed. So I was wondering if any of you guys had any input... Should I or should I not. I haven't been able to get the right amount of Protein in, I finally found a shake that my sleeve likes for the moment so I want to get my protein in but I'm afraid to drink it before bed wouldn't that be like eating right before bed????????

Eating before bed is such a hard habit to break...but not impossible. I don't drink Protein Shakes before bed. I drink one in the morning and at 3pm. I started making goals about eating at night (one of my biggest downfalls) after I was sleeved. First, nothing after 9pm, then 8:30, now I'm at 8pm. If you could drink it earlier, I think that would be much better for you :)

I was thinking that too. I told him that drinking one was like eating before bed I want to lose weight LOL! He read some where that said that at night was a good time to drink your Protein, maybe that's for body builders :rolleyes:.

Thanks for your reply

The only problem that I can see with drinking a shake before bed is having to get up to pee. Also I would stay up for a while as the Fluid might come back into your esophagus if you lay down immediately after eating. Otherwise Protein is protein. Drink away

It prob doesn't matter....but with the body in shut down mode while you're sleeping, I don't see the benefits of intaking Protein before sleep. The prime time to intake protein is within one hour of a work out.

I have read that when you sleep especially the first couple of hours of sleep your body uses Protein to repair itself. I drink a little before bed not a whole shake but about half. I don't use milk though I do almond milk unsweetened. Not right before bed but about a hour before I go to sleep. It's not the same as having a snack before bed or late night eating. Your body needs Protein and will use it for the right reasons. Your body does not need ice cream, chips or my favorite lots of buttery popcorn and a coke before bed..lol

I have lost 38 lbs and I am 5 weeks out.

I guess I just feel like my body was in such shock since having surgery that like having that extra protein to help my body repair the damage done.. I had some info on protein before bed I will try to find it and post it.

Of course YOU should only do what you think is best for YOU. This is just my routine.

I found it..

Advantages

Taking whey Protein before bed allows your resting body to rapidly benefit from the amino acids it contains. whey Protein, because it comes from an animal, contains all the essential amino acids you need to include in your daily diet, especially when you are building muscle. The branched-chain amino acids leucine, isoleucine and valine get incorporated into your muscle tissue particularly quickly, as they do not require metabolism by your liver, unlike non-branched-chain amino acids. Because your body repairs and builds muscle tissue during periods of rest, consuming whey protein before you go to bed supplies your recovering muscles with amino acids at that time.

Disadvantages

Despite the high-quality protein it provides, whey offers greater muscle-building potential when taken at times other than before bed. For example, consuming fast-acting whey -- along with carbohydrates -- prior to and following a strenuous workout not only helps to prevent muscle breakdown during exercise but also increases the rate of protein synthesis needed for muscle recovery and growth. Sports nutritionist Nancy Clark suggests that slow-releasing casein may be preferable to whey protein at night to allow a steady, gradual influx of amino acids to your muscles as you sleep.

Considerations

Taking whey protein before bed may not be the optimal time for maximal effect of this supplement; however, it nonetheless supplies your muscles with the amino acids needed for growth. Although nutrient timing matters for optimal fitness, the quality of your nutrition is also critical to meeting your fitness goals. In other words, consuming high-quality protein such as whey is essential for building muscle, no matter what time of day you take it.

I have read that when you sleep especially the first couple of hours of sleep your body uses Protein to repair itself. I drink a little before bed not a whole shake but about half. I don't use milk though I do almond milk unsweetened. Not right before bed but about a hour before I go to sleep. It's not the same as having a snack before bed or late night eating. Your body needs Protein and will use it for the right reasons. Your body does not need ice cream' date=' chips or my favorite lots of buttery popcorn and a coke before bed..lol

I have lost 38 lbs and I am 5 weeks out.

I guess I just feel like my body was in such shock since having surgery that like having that extra protein to help my body repair the damage done.. I had some info on protein before bed I will try to find it and post it.

Of course YOU should only do what you think is best for YOU. This is just my routine.[/quote']

Thanks all of you for your advise! I think I'm gonna have a half of a shake before bed and see what happens.

Protein Shake is my regular dinner these days. I have one at about 1 hr before I go to bed. I have not faced any issues..

It prob doesn't matter....but with the body in shut down mode while you're sleeping' date=' I don't see the benefits of intaking Protein before sleep. The prime time to intake Protein is within one hour of a work out.[/quote']

The body is working the most when you sleep. In fact its at its optimum Anabolic rate. So feeding a 17-40gram Protein shake is the best thing anyone can do. Livestrong.

Prime time to intake creatine is preworkout. Its also the best time to take an insulin shot if you need insulin.

Just don't get mad at me. Its in the bodybuilding books. Like nutrient timing, beyond brawn, muscle wizardry and a few others that I have. I can email them to you if you need a good read.

I found it..

Disadvantages

Despite the high-quality Protein it provides' date=' whey offers greater muscle-building potential when taken at times other than before bed. For example, consuming fast-acting whey -- along with carbohydrates -- prior to and following a strenuous workout not only helps to prevent muscle breakdown during exercise but also increases the rate of Protein synthesis needed for muscle recovery and growth. Sports nutritionist Nancy Clark suggests that slow-releasing casein may be preferable to whey protein at night to allow a steady, gradual influx of amino acids to your muscles as you sleep.

Considerations

Taking whey protein before bed may not be the optimal time for maximal effect of this supplement; however, it nonetheless supplies your muscles with the amino acids needed for growth. Although nutrient timing matters for optimal fitness, the quality of your nutrition is also critical to meeting your fitness goals. In other words, consuming high-quality protein such as whey is essential for building muscle, no matter what time of day you take it.

[/quote']

Totally correct. But if you look closely at some of the protein powders they have an Am version and a Pm version. The Pm actually used many different esters of protein being real fast to real slow and alot inbetween. Its more indepth than a yes or no answer. Next time your in GNC check it out

Capt. Derel, Ok I know this may sound kind of stupid but I'm new at all this, if I have a Protein Shake before bed will it help me lose fat and gain muscle? I of course don't want to gain I'm trying to figure out the best ways to utilize my sleeve for the best results, and stay on track,

I think we need to separate what people use Protein shakes for. Body builders use them for a specific reason - to GAIN muscle, mainly (among other reasons, but this is the main one). So for them, their optimal Protein intake is around their crazy workouts (all respect intended, they kick a$$). For us, we ingest protein in order to not LOSE muscle and have our bodies break down because protein is so important and it's hard for us to get it all in other ways/foods. For this reason, I think it makes absolute sense to drink a Protein Drink before bed so your body can heal and repair and work on what it needs to since it's sort of deficient during the day.

Eating before bed is horrible if your carb loading, or grazing, or eating fat-laden foods, or using it as a comfort habit (like I used to). Yes, eating a bunch of food and calories right before you go to sleep is bad as your digestion and metabolic system slows WAYYYY down, effectively storing all those calories and food as fat since we're not burning it for energy.

But, a protein drink? All 200 and some calories of it? I think that is perfectly fine and I highly doubt you would lose any less, or even gain, from that. Especially since it IS liquid and the body doesn't need to do a lot to break it down. Your body simply absorbs the protein and then goes from there.

Both my surgeon and my NUT have advised protein at night...not necessarily right before I lay my head down, but an hour or so before...and I've been just fine!!

I personaly feel its better to get one in before bed because your in an anabolic state. I do it for heart health. Major muscle dontcha think? I want to make sure it gets its optimum nutrition lol