Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Might Be "jumping Ship"

Amy,

Dr. Nicholson is doing my surgery on April 3rd! What's your date? :-)

Christy

I initally thought I was going with the lap band for sure...then I went to several seminars and becamed very informed on all 3 wls. The sleeve just seemed to be the best option for me.

Christy-

I don't have a date yet. I went to Dr. Nick's seminar last week. I'm waiting on them to check insurance. I've heard his preop diet is 2 weeks of the slimfast diet. I am an EXTREMELY picky eater and bought some slimfast the other day and it made me gag. Did you have to do the slimfast diet for two weeks? If so, do you know if there are any other options? Also, once you scheduled your surgery, how far out did you have to schedule it?

Where are you coming from to have your surgery? Are you having it at Forest Park or Baylor Plano Med. Ctr.?

~Amy

Amy,

I'm coming from near Shreveport,LA. Went to seminar with surgeon here and after talking to some of my surgery Coworkers decided not to use the local Doc. I saw him a month ago and since my insurance doesn't cover I could have gotten on the surgery book in about 2 weeks. I chose 5 because of scheduling time off work and our kid's schedules. He does require a 2 week diet. There was a rep from Bariatric Advantage there and I ordered my stuff that day. Waste of money. I have already replaced it all with high Protein shakes that taste much better and Atkins bars. You are allowed a low far, low carb high Protein meal once a day. I'm having mine at Forest Park. :-)

Amy,

I'm coming from near Shreveport,LA. Went to seminar with surgeon here and after talking to some of my surgery Coworkers decided not to use the local Doc. I saw him a month ago and since my insurance doesn't cover I could have gotten on the surgery book in about 2 weeks. I chose 5 because of scheduling time off work and our kid's schedules. He does require a 2 week diet. There was a rep from Bariatric Advantage there and I ordered my stuff that day. Waste of money. I have already replaced it all with high Protein shakes that taste much better and Atkins bars. You are allowed a low far, low carb high Protein meal once a day. I'm having mine at Forest Park. :-)

You will LOVE Forest Park. FIrst hospital I didn't want to leave!! :lol:

My story is similar to mostly everyone above. I was initially going to be banded but thank GOD I found out about the sleeve! I'm so happy with my choice. :)

The lap band and the sleeve work differently. The lap band works on the principal of the full feeling where the patient feels full sooner and stops eating. The sleeve, on the other hand, works by preventing the patient from feeling hunger in the first place. This is due to the fact that much of the hormone, Ghrelin, which stimulates hunger, is produced in the stomach. When 75% of the stomach is removed so is most of the source of the Ghrelin. BTW, these facts were confirmed by my doctor.

Additionally, the lap band only results on a 65%-75% excess weight loss on average whereas the sleeve is more like 70%-80%. Again, these numbers are from my doctor who reminded me that they are only averages. Many people do better or worse with either surgery.

Wow Modee. Your doctor gave you a lot better numbers than mine. My surgeon said 36% to 42% for lap band and 70% for the sleeve. From what I've seen on the lap band boards, I think their loss is somewhere in the middle of your doctor's statistics and mine. I've 100% decided now to go with the sleeve.

Congrats! I've seen a few major sucess stories with the lap band over the years but those successes are far outweighed by the complications and maintenance. I am so glad you chose the sleeve. I think you will be happy with your choice (at least I hope). Best of luck to you

Amy' date='

Dr. Nicholson is doing my surgery on April 3rd! What's your date? :-)

Christy[/quote']

I had my sleeve on Monday april 2nd...what do you think so far??

I was very sold on the band until I saw my surgeon and got some statistics from him. I am booked for a sleeve gastrectomy on 30th May. I've done my due diligence and have decided this is the way to go for me for many of the reasons that Amber mentioned. Youtube is a great source for vlogs too.

Amy,

the same thing happened to me. Was all for the band, posted over on their forum. Then I went to the seminar...My mind was totally changed! I went to my PCP today and told her that I went in thinking and the band and she shook her head no. I finished saying how I left wanting the sleeve and she smiled and said that's what she wants for me too. Just her saying that made me feel so comforted. I don't have a surgery date yet, still finishing up the pre op testing. I'm so glad to read that I'm not alone! Good luck in your journey.

Christine

Band.....what band? I've 100% jumped ship over to the sleeve and cannot be more happy and confident with my decision. I'm at the beginning of the process but am moving along toward the ultimate goal.

I've known people who have defeated the lap band, not to mention the ones who have had complications. The RNY bypass can be defeated also, as the pouch can be stretched. The sleeve, will not stretch very much because the part they leave behind is the muscular part that pushes food through. Muscle doesn't stretch very easily.