Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Might Be "jumping Ship"

Hi all. This is my first posting on these boards. I've been posting over on Lap Band Talks because I was 100% convinced I was going to do the lap band. Well, I went to the seminar tonight and now I'm leaning toward the sleeve. I still don't know for sure yet though.

Anyone care to share their experience with the sleeve and if you are happy with your decision? Also, if you thought about lap band and went sleeve, what are your reasons?

Thanks!

~Amy

I went to a lap-band seminar when I was first starting to look at WLS surgery too. There was a woman there who had lost 100+ pounds and I was very impressed. Then I came home and read the statistics on the lap-band manufacturer's website--a complication rate of 30%?? Something called "productive burping" and "getting stuck" and slipped bands? Plus the surgeon wanted to charge $300 for each fill or unfill. I figured out pretty quick that I wanted something permanent, one surgery, few complications, and little follow-up. I found VSG, and thought, "What has my stomach ever done for me except clamor to be fed and never feel full?" So I changed my mind. It's been 14 months and I am happier than I ever dreamed.

My 25 year old daughter has the lap band, she lost slower than I have, I knew I needed to see fast results to stay motivated. I also want to travel in retirement and not to have to find places for fills...ultimately, the thought of something in me just did not sit well. My daughter has lost 70 lbs and is happy with her choice. I know another lady a little older than me...she is around 55, had the lap band and her loss is s l o w. Her daughter just had the sleeve and is happy.

So, it is really such a personal decision. Read, read, read.

I am very happy with my decision to have the sleeve (and I had a complication).

Best to you!

I have seen others with the lap band. They lost weight slowly and then found ways to eat around it. Most of them said they were still hungry a lot. A few had to get a surgical scope done to remove food that was to big to pass down, ..pain. It works for some and not others. Eating around it is the biggest problem. Like shakes and cheesie and gooie food that will pass down easy. just keep reading. Good luck

The lap band has become the object of a lot of scrutiny from many sides and I understand it has fallen into disfavor because of the poor overall sucess rate and the % of complications. Research your decision carefuly, tho, because I'm sure there are many who would rebut my statement.

I was originally going to do the lap band but changed my mind quickly. I do not want to deal with having it filled. I decided the weight loss is not as much as what I want to lose with the band. The side effects of having a foreign object in your body is scary. It is not a permanent tool and can cause alot of problems. Plus I do not want to have a second surgery later on having it removed and having the sleeve. I have seen alot of people who gained all their weight back after the band and ended up getting the sleeve. I figured I would just save time and money and go straight for the sleeve.

I was also initially interested in the lap band. I was hoping to get it done here in Canada, but I would've had to fly halfway across the country and pay like 20 grand - and then find my own doc or nurse here to manage my fills. It was quite a turn-off for me. I called Dr. Aceves about the lap band, and his coordinator told me about the sleeve and said they weren't having a very good success rate with the band and the sleeve was a much better option. I mulled over it for a few days and decided it was the right choice for me. I'm very glad I had the sleeve! There were so many people having band-to-sleeve revisions in the hospital when I was there!

I just went through a revision surgery to have my band removed and converted to the sleeve. I did not have much success with the band and found that most healthy foods I ate got stuck on the band. Ails never found the sweet spot (the perfect fill) and am unsure such a thing really exists. I am only 1 week post op, but I already feel that this will be a good solution for me. Good luck with your decision.

I've heard SO many people on here talk about band failures and complications. And what's more...once you decide to have a revision surgery from band to sleeve, the damage from the band can complicate the sleeve and cause more problems. Just something to think about. (I'm not just saying random thoughts. These are actual incidents I've heard from people.) Many problems. At five weeks, I'm feeling great and looking forward to my smaller self!

Thanks everyone for your responses. Based on what has been said here, it looks like their might be a lot of people out there who switched from band to sleeve. Reasons here are some of my reasons for highly considering this procedure now over the band. I still need to do further research though before making a final decision.

~Amy

I was completely sold on the lapband until I started reading the percentage of 2nd surgeries.. Nope.. not going under more than once!!!

I currently have a lapband- had surgery August 2010 and have lost 67 lbs. I was diagnosed with a slipped band this saturday and apparently its too big and the doctor wants to go straight to surgery. I knew there was an issue for a while now and I started having sharp stabbing pain in my chest so I knew something wasnt right. I immediatly hopped on this board and have pretty much decided I want a revision to the sleeve. I need to find a new doctor because I dont like the original doctor who did my surgery. Im tired of messing with this stupid band. Tired of having fills done. Tired of getting foods stuck and throwing up, definitely tired of the horrible reflux at night. Im just DONE! And as horrible as this sounds, Im glad I do have a slipped band so now its a medically necessary surgery to have it removed. Just hope insurance will agree to pay for the sleeve instead of putting another band in. But with my problems and lack of success I can't imagine why they wont.

I was certain I wanted a lap-band until I went to a seminar. The surgeon said only one out of three were satisfied with their bands. Not good odds for me. Work with a Dr. and nurse who have had it and neither have had good results as far as weight loss. Have another nurse and a friend who have had sleeve and their loss is great. MD said he'd do sleeve if he could do it over again. So after that and much online research 1 week from now we will be in Dallas getting ready for my sleeve! :-)

Amber--a lot of the things you mention are reasons I've decided to get the sleeve. Thanks for your comments which affirm my decision.

Skinny Mom--who is doing your surgery? I live in the Dallas area and am going to be using Dr. Nicholson.