Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychiatric Evaluation

I have been waiting for over a month for mine to clear this is the only thing holding my surgery back. Just because I told her I was seeing a therapist for marriage counseling now she wants to pull records from everywhere. Did anyone have a problem with the psych evaluation? What were some of the reasons and how did you convince your psychiatric that you need this surgery?

I told the psychiatrist that I had thrown up a few times a long time back and I had to jump through all kinds of hoops for possible "eating disorders". Any pushback on my part (OMG, look at me, I am NOT bulemic) just made them more convinced that I had issues. I learned pretty quick to just let them do their thing and get paid. They have the power to not clear you so you have to jump through the hoops now. It wasn't a matter of convincing them I needed it, it was a matter of them testing me to ensure I wasn't messed up or going to turn to throwing up food after the surgery.

Sometimes a little too much honesty during that psychiatric evaluation turns into a big pain in the butt, but I think you'll be fine if you just do what they say (take the extra time, and tests if needed). If you resist, you get an extra label added to your file.

Good luck! I am sure you'll be able to make it happen.

I sure am glad I read this...I have the problem of being too open and giving too much away. I will be saying as little as possible and answering with yes or no responses as much as I can tomorrow!!! Lol

I decided to have my eval. done by my therapist rather than the one the practice recommended. My therapist was qualified to do it (LCSW)? Or whatever it is. She didn't have experience doing this particular eval., but the practice I'm using had a thorough guide for any licensed therapist I planned on using. That said, I had seen my therapist originally due to marriage issues. I felt that she knew me better than any other therapist who may feel the need to thoroughly investigate things that my therapist is already aware of and understands. Hope that makes sense. She's know me and my husband more than a year and though she feels this is an extreme option, she told me that psychologically she knows there's no reason to not recommend me. She was thorough with the questions they wanted her to ask, and she apparently submitted a glowing report despite her personal reservations regarding the procedure. I had decided that someone more familiar with me, even though less familiar with bariatrics was my better option. It worked for me. Don't know if it's too late for you to do that or not, but thought I'd share my process.

I'm sorry to hear that they are making you jump through hoops! Mine was very easy and straightforward so I don't have any experience to reflect back to you, but I will say to just keep pushing through and before you know it it will be over and done with. I truly think the pre-surgery wait is the hardest part of the entire journey and you are almost done!

Good luck and let us know how everything turns out :)

My psych eval went ok, they just asked me a bunch of questions. They primarily wanted to see how I would cope with weight loss surgey and if I was ready for it. I answered honestly but wasn't severely honest on things that may teter too much information. At the end my therapist said she believed I'd do ok and would clear me. Now waiting on the approval to get surgery.

I hope everything works out for you and you get cleared soon. Good Luck

It sucks just the waiting part. I had no idea my therapist could have done this where can I get a questionare?

What kind of questions does the therapist ask during the evaluation? Just want to be prepared.

What kind of questions does the therapist ask during the evaluation? Just want to be prepared.

Sorry...I hit the reply button twice.

It sucks just the waiting part. I had no idea my therapist could have done this where can I get a questionare?

Lexsan, the first thing to do is call the insurance company to find out the therapist qualifications they would accept a report from e.g., Psychologist, Psychiatrist, LCSW, etc. if your therapist's qualifications match, you're good.

There isn't a questionnaire.... There was just a letter in my initial info. packet from my surgeon to the mental health professional. It told him/ her in detail what specific information they are looking for, etc.

My surgeons office gave me a template for questions the therapist needs to ask. I went to my usual therapist and she had to refer me because she no longer did them and didn't feel comfortable doing it for me (she didn't want jeopardize my chances if she did it wrong). So I ended up going to another therapist who I never had a session with before but seemed nice and made me comfortable. I ended up finding her through my surgeons office.

I'm just starting on my journey... While I was told I could use anyone... The office gave me a list of folks they work with who specialize in these types of evals and highlighted the two that would except my insurance which is FEPC BCBS.

Got this setup. Was told that I would have two appts. The first to chat for about a half hour and then there would be some written questions for me to answer. Visit two was more chatting and the results based on our first meeting. My old that the results portion was to help me with skills for success on this journey.

So part one is on Monday.... Will report back after that....

I also tend to chat tool much.....

I have had 2 psych evals done. A couple years ago I had one done (my insurance changed and ended up not getting to have surgery). I passed it no problem. This time I was probably overly honest and my psych felt that I have pretty sever anxiety issues. She asked me to touch base with a therapist a time or two and have someone "in my back pocket" for after surgery anxiety issues. I did this, and I was given clearance. It may not be as bad as you think! Good luck!

I have had 2 psych evals done. A couple years ago I had one done (my insurance changed and ended up not getting to have surgery). I passed it no problem. This time I was probably overly honest and my psych felt that I have pretty sever anxiety issues. She asked me to touch base with a therapist a time or two and have someone "in my back pocket" for after surgery anxiety issues. I did this, and I was given clearance. It may not be as bad as you think! Good luck!