Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve After Lapband

I had a lap band put in almost ten years ago. It worked for about three months, then I had zero restriction. My surgeon kept insisting there was nothing wrong with the band and it was just me. We did fill after fill after fill...and nothing. Well, a decade later, my current surgeon did a fill under fluroscopy and found out that, indeed, my band is broken.

Soooo...I'm self-pay and hoping to have the lap band removed and be sleeved at the same time. My surgeon says he will try, but he can't guarantee he can do the two procedures together. It will depend on how much scar tissue I have.

My surgeon feels that he SHOULD be able to do both in one procedure, but he warned that I should be prepared just in case. He's actually a general surgeon who has a tremendous amount of experience in dealing with all kinds of surgery, so I am hopeful that he can do both at one time. I'm concerned that if he can't do them both at once, I may not have the courage to go through with a second surgery. I will know for sure in only 3 more days.

With my band, I had restriction for about 3 months, then got it too tight, then too lose, then too tight again. The last time I saw my lapband doctor was 2009, when he emptied it, due to me having spasms all through my esophegus, and into my neck and jaws. He said that it was too tight and needed to be emptied and then we'd give my stomach a rest. Even after it was empty, I continued to "stick". Until I started this pre-surgery liquid diet just 7 days ago, I would continue to stick several times a day. I am so sick and tired of having to spit-up at least once a day. At least on the liquid diet, I'm not having that problem.

The most I lost with the lap band was about 50lbs and I gained it all back after my band was emptied. I'm ready for the sleeve and look forward to getting this all behind me.

I feel that getting the band was probably one of the worst decisions I've ever made!

Well, I'm 4 days Post-Op, and everything went as planned. Feeling really good today and get to start on "full" liquids. Will get my drain removed on Wednesday, and then move on to soft/mushy food on Friday . . . as long as everything continues to progress well!

Congratulations on your revision, I am so happy to hear you are feeling well. I am also a band to sleeve revision, and have never regretted it. After the first year, my band gave me nothing but problems. I couldn't keep anything down, even with no fill in it. So, I lived on the one thing I could keep down, and that was ice cream. Not healthy, and I gained a lot of weight as a result. But, my trusty sleeve has not given me any problems.

Much success to you, I look forward to following your progress.