Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calcium Vs. Calcium Citrate

Hi folks,

I am about out of my Bariatric Advantage chewable Calcium Citrate and so went to costco and purchased Calcium chewables. I really wanted to find something I will like but now notice they are just Calcium....

Is this an issue??

Thank you for any response here.

Sandy

Hey' date=' I did some Calcium shopping today too! I can't find chewable calcium citrate anywhere! I called the Vitamin shop and they had twin lab calcium wafers which are NASTY.. Does anyone know any good brands?[/quote']

Too funny. I think the Bariatric Advantage is a great brand. Just that I wanted to try something different but do not want to give up all the goodness I should be getting from them. I found a post from last year where they are reviewing kidney stones and if you take a PPI you need the citrate but, I think I will call surgeon's office tomorrow to confirm. Just want to find something that I can take for the rest of my life, the Bariatric Advantage Cherry is not too bad, a little chalky.

I think Bariatric Advantage may be available on-line? I purchased mine at doctor's office.

Best to you.

Citracal is calcium citrate +D3... regular Calcium is not easily digested by our sleeves. I get the petites that are easier to swallow.It does not require food or stomach acid for absorption. Hope this helps.

Oh I have been meaning to post a thread about this!!! I have Twin labs chewable and I haven't taken them for 3 days now bc they are so nasty I just couldn't stand it any longer!!!! =(( I need suggestions for chewables that are at least tolerable please!! Bariatric Advantage? I may have to check that out. Does anyone know when we can start taking actual pill for Vitamins instead of chewables? And yes calcium citrate is better than just Calcium bc we can absorb it better.

Bariatric Advantage sells chewable citrate tablets that are like flavored chalk and I was unable to get down more than one. BUT they also sell calcium citrate soft chews, in chocolate, lemon, caramel, and raspberry that are great-tasting, and it's a good thing, too, because they are only 250 mg. each, so I have to have 5 a day. I ordered them on the monthly delivery plan and save the postage charge. I think they are about $13.50/month that way. And yes, Calcium citrate is more absorbable in the lower acid environment we have than calcium carbonate.

Doreykn and group,

THANKS helps a lot. I am not going to even open these plain Calcium. I will find a Citrate until I can get the Bariatric Advantage (chalk) again. Or may the chocolate chew although I wonder how many calories they are? Geez always something, but I would do it all over again and it is a small price for all I have gained :)

Nite.

I just started taking the Viactiv calcium chews. They meet the requirements of the doctor. It is almost like eating a piece of caramel. It is impossible for me to take whole Vitamins, liquid or the chewables they gave to us, all of them make me vomit... maybe it is the flavor. I also take children Flintstones plus Iron vitamins. It much more tolerable for my sleeve.

Allformy4, definitely need to get you back on one. By the way how are you doing? I recall reading about your enthusiasm before surgery then, I think a little bump in the road with food and others around you? Hopefully all ironed out and you are loving your sleeve.

To others here (sorry new iPad app, can't see the other posts as I type...thanks for the input. I am going to Rite Aid today to see what I can find, and I will post my findings.

Happy Friday!

Citracal is Calcium Citrate +D3... regular Calcium is not easily digested by our sleeves. I get the petites that are easier to swallow.It does not require food or stomach acid for absorption. Hope this helps.

Just be careful that not all Citracal products are calcium citrate, despite the implication of their brand name. Their gummies are not the citrate form (they aren't carbonate, either, but another compound that I forget now - don't have the bottle anymore.) Read those labels!

opurity chewables by unjury with Citrate - taste like orange sweet tarts.

Opurity is good! Also Celebrate makes good ones too...avoid taking you calciums within about 2 hours of your multi.

Don't forget the sun! Get some daylight each day, else your body cannot do what it needs to with many Vitamins and trace minerals.

I take Bariatric Advantage cherry... kind of chalky, but I have gotten used to them...sort of like sweet-tarts, and think them a treat now. I also have the chocolate and they are OK, but not as nice as the cherry, I buy in the giant tub for the best deal. Studies say the the citrate is better absorbed for anyone. Not just WLS folks. Studies also say you really need around 1700 a day... I don't take that much.... but there you are.

Trader Joes have chewable vitamins that arn't bad and not too expensive.