Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first full feeling

I'm on day 2 of mushy foods. Someone said refried Beans were their staple during this phase, so I just tried some. I got the side order from Taco Bell, which has a pinch of cheese, and I used 2 packs of hot sauce. I thought I ate really slow, but apparently not slow enough. I was able to finish the container with no problem (about 4-5 oz.) However, five minutes later I'm feeling too full. I don't feel sick at all, but I feel too much food in my belly. I wanted to post this because I had no idea until now what my new band would tolerate, and now I know that a kid-size portion is too much. I should have eaten 2/3 of the container.

You've discovered the importance of taking it slow!! I've had several unpleasant experiences where I just didn't let my stomach feel one bite before taking the next. I'm so used to bolting bite after bite after bite that slowing down long enough to feel what's happening is really hard for me!!

Take no more than two bites of something and then put your fork down, fold your arms, take a deep breath, even get up and walk around. I've had to learn this lesson again after each fill--it's really astonishing how little food it takes to feel full, as long as you let it hit the pouch before chasing it with more.

You're a bandster now, baby!! :banana

You are so right. And yesterday I was putting my spoon down and crossing my arms. But I have to do it after every couple bites like you said instead of halfway through the meal. It really does take a good 20 minutes for the food to hit the pouch. My doc said never, ever to drink with food. But I'm thinking of taking a baby sip halfway through my meal. Maybe just a tablespoon of Water to help the food go down. What's your thoughts?

I'm finally in a Band! A rockin' band!

Maybe just a tablespoon of Water to help the food go down. What's your thoughts?

NO DRINKING WITH MEALS!!

That is the number 1 piece of advice. After chew thoroughly, eat slowly, and eat "real" food and not soft foods (once you're out of the mushy stage).

Okay, that makes it like #4 piece of advice. lol But seriously - drinking with meals is probably one of the most common culprits for bandsters who are struggling with not losing. That and making non-nutritional food choices, and slipping into soft foods syndrome.

Let your band help you - don't defeat the band by "washing the food through" the band - even just a little bit... It's a hard habit to break.

Of course, it is always YOUR choice. But you asked for thoughts, and those are mine.

:D

The odd thing about drinking with meals is that I never drank before my band. Hubby always thought I was weird because I never order a beverage (probably my fat mind not wanting liquid to fill up perfectly good food-room.)

Naturally, the minute I was told never to drink with meals again has me wanting to drink with meals. Go figya!

But what is the reason behind not sipping with a meal? Just curious.

Delarla You crack me up!

I was told that any liquid right before, during and right after a meal helps to push the food through the band quicker to only make you hungry again quicker. My doc said no sipping either!

Michelle

4/06/04

265/242/160ish

Ah, I see now. Today I had Jello as part of my meal. Jello is just solidified liquid. But I'm still in mushy food week. Next week I'll get damn serious. Also next week I'm having my husband nail my scale to the ceiling because I've been getting on it every morning. Stop it!

Hey Delarla! I am in my 4th week.I just started solids and I am having a problem of drinking a little after and during .Also I am snacking.I go get my fill in a week.Does anyone know if that will help me?

Thanks

Joyce

4/28/04 banded

225/210/?

Hi Joyce I was banded on APril 6th and have not gotten a fill yet. I have heard with everything that I have read about that a fill should help you. But it is important to not drink at all before during or after a meal. Drinking pushes the food through the band quicker and makes you hungry again quicker. The whole idea behind not drinking is to keep the food in the pouch to keep you satisfied. I think it would be in your best interest once you get your fill to try and not drink before during or after a meal or you may exerience hunger quicker.

Just my thoughts

Michelle

4/6/04/

265/242/160ish

Dr Ortiz

Thanks Michelle.I am glad toknow that.I know my Dr.said drink as much before you eatbut not after for at least 1 1/2 hours.What did yours say?

thanks

Joyce

4/28/04 banded

225/210/?

I was told by my doctor to not drink 30 minutes before or 30-45 minutes after. Every doctor seems to have adifferent approach to drinking. I had mine done in Mexico wit h Dr Ortiz

Michelle

I'm planning on goingdown there the 2nd week in June once my kids are out of school so I do not have my daily carpool duties....where did you have your surgery?

I had my in Port Arthur Texas with Dr.Spiegel.So will you go back to Mexico for your fill?I know some people who have surgery there tries to find someone in there area for fills.But you probley feel comfortable with that Dr.

Joyce

Yes for me fills in Mexico are just a little over an hour away. I just live across the border so it is very fesible for me.