Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction & Amount Of Food Tolerated

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support. I am glad to hear that it's normal and will get a little better eventually.

Christin, I'm SO struggling mentally, also. Yesterday, at the funeral I referred to, I got in SO little. I wanted to eat more, but couldn't. Tonight, we're having a Superbowl thingie at my sister's. I told her my contribution will be a low fat taco bake - lean ground beef, ff refried Beans, salsa, taco seasoning, low fat cheese, and some low fat sour cream. She's going to bake some wings for me since I can't have the fried ones. I KNOW I'll only be able to get down a spoonful of my taco bake (no chips) and maybe 1 wingette, MAYBE. And no alcohol for me!

But the upside is I've lost 37 lbs in 3 1/2 weeks! And I haven't even started exercising yet. I'm in no way complaining and have no regret. But the adjustment can definitely be frustrating, especially if a stall were to come now. I PRAY NOT! We'll get through it all, Christin.

Now off to pick at my baked chicken leg and 2 spoonfuls of Beans. Let's see how much I can get down....

Sometimes I feel like I can eat A LOT!!! But when I measure and log, it's only about 800-1000 calories.. I think I'm developing a complex about eating... if I didn't have to, I probably wouldn't!!! SMH... this journey is crazy emotional, but it gets better!!!

WOW! May I ask what a sample day is like meal wise for you? I'm nowhere near half of this in a day. I haven't met Protein or Water goals yet.

Christin, hang in there. I never, ever met my Water or Protein goals in the early stages--couldn't get enough in there! And it's all turned out okay. Do what you can and be gentle to yourself in this early phase.

I understand completely about the mental adjustment--and it does happen, I promise. At this point, eating the amount that pre-surgery wouldn't have even made up a decent snack has become second nature. I eat 2 pieces of sushi (3 if I take off some of the rice). I eat 3 boiled shrimp. 3 shrimp!!!! I mean, that's a meal! It's just surreal to compare, but honestly, at this point, it's just what normal life is. At first, I had to really be careful to measure by volume to avoid overeating, and it's only been in the last month or so that I've relaxed a bit and been able to "eyeball" the correct volume of food--mostly I've now gotten a repertoire of things that I eat frequently and I know how much I can tolerate.

You'll learn as you go, and I promise that feeling of strangeness will disappear. I even go out to eat frequently with friends, and I feel perfectly "normal" ordering my usual appetizer-sized thing and also taking stuff home. No big deal now--at first it felt really strange. Congrats on your recent sleeve!!

Thanks very much! This was encouraging to read! :)

I am about 7 1/2 weeks out and my doctor changed me from 800 calories max to 800-1,000. I can't even begin to get that in yet. He changed me to 8 oz. at a time from 4 oz. and there is no way cuz I don't want to eat too much. Don't worry about the numbers so much since everyone is different and tolerates their food differently. If you start burping you are probably full and shouldn't force anything else down. Your restrictions will change when you get back to eating regular foods again and it will be easier for you. just make sure youare eating some Protein ( Beans and cottage cheese) and drinking your Protein Drinks. You will fell so much better, and believe me, there is life again after pureed food!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support. I am glad to hear that it's normal and will get a little better eventually.

Christin, I'm SO struggling mentally, also. Yesterday, at the funeral I referred to, I got in SO little. I wanted to eat more, but couldn't. Tonight, we're having a Superbowl thingie at my sister's. I told her my contribution will be a low fat taco bake - lean ground beef, ff refried Beans, salsa, taco seasoning, low fat cheese, and some low fat sour cream. She's going to bake some wings for me since I can't have the fried ones. I KNOW I'll only be able to get down a spoonful of my taco bake (no chips) and maybe 1 wingette, MAYBE. And no alcohol for me!

But the upside is I've lost 37 lbs in 3 1/2 weeks! And I haven't even started exercising yet. I'm in no way complaining and have no regret. But the adjustment can definitely be frustrating, especially if a stall were to come now. I PRAY NOT! We'll get through it all, Christin.

Now off to pick at my baked chicken leg and 2 spoonfuls of Beans. Let's see how much I can get down....

Hope you got some Super Bowl food down! I agree ... we will get through it! :) It's just part of the process!

Hope you got some Super Bowl food down! I agree ... we will get through it! :) It's just part of the process!

I got down a couple of bites of my taco bake, about half of a large meatball, and most of one wingette. But it was all very tasty do I was satisfied. But I looked around at everyone else, especially the guys, and was amazed at the amount of food they were eating! It's hard to believe that I ate like that just a few weeks ago! That made me smile and just savor what I could have. It'll all be worth it in the end.

It does seem like pathetic amount of food. We went camping this weekend and stopped at a diner. My husband and daughter order big Breakfast meal. She gets to me and I say, "a side of bacon please." She say's: "Is that ALL?"

We get the food. I pass the plate to my daughter and she gives me a tablespoon of eggs, a tablespoon of hashbrowns, a tiny bit of gravy and takes 4 of my 5 strips of bacon. I also have two sips of broth from my husband's vegetable beef Soup.

I just sit there happily munching along slowly and finish when they do.

Beans and cottage cheese are perfect. I eat and drink 2% dairyand that will boost calories. Add a little cheese to the Beans and plain greek yogurt to boost the calories and Protein. Ricotta cheese baked in a caserole with good Pasta sauce and a sprinkle of mozzella is heaven too.

Here is my take on things. Tell me if I'm wrong. I eat less that a normal thin person and feel that there is no real reason to eat lowfat or nonfat EVERYTHING. I just make sure everything is Protein first and then I eat something for Fiber like broccoli.

Catracks, I believe you have the right to decide what's best for you!!! I agree w/ the quanity of food we consume, everything doesn't have to be ff/sf... That's just me... I can't stand sf drinks... the only one I can tolerate is diet snapple lemonade/tea mix... Other than that... I'd rather drink Water or diluted fresh juices...

Enjoy your journey, one day at a time!

Here is my take on things. Tell me if I'm wrong. I eat less that a normal thin person and feel that there is no real reason to eat lowfat or nonfat EVERYTHING. I just make sure everything is Protein first and then I eat something for Fiber like broccoli.

I don't bother with low fat either. We only get so many bites. Fat has flavor!

I don't bother with low fat either. We only get so many bites. Fat has flavor!

I agree with you on that plus the fact that low fat products tend to replace all the fat with junk and usually more sugar.

Also, I've stopped doing SF products. In my situation, I've had serious energy issues so the little bit of sugar helps. Plus, for some strange reason since surgery I cannot stand any artificial sweeteners. They all just taste wrong to me.

I am so glad to read these posts. It's all the same issues I have been dealing with. I just went to soft food yesterday. So far, so good. But I'm worried about what to eat. It feels like my whole life revolves around food. I can't wait until I am more relaxed about it.