Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

refried beans, a problem?

Hi all, I was talking with my brother about foods and drinks and the fact that carbonated beverages are going to be pretty much out of the loop after banding and he comes up with " what about the gas from refried Beans? " that got me thinking so I am asking, anyone have gas problems with refried beans? Or is that just a problem at the south end of things? :guess

I think it's just at the south end of things. Refrieds are a staple for me! Well, they used to be. Once you get to full mushies, refried Beans are full of Fiber and chew well. I love them, I just don't eat them as much as I used to. Stock up! They are super filling when you get the hungries post-op.

Love refried Beans, chile lime, with a few tablespoons of hot sauce added. Everything you eat has the potential to cause gas. Beans don't make everyone gassy, it's very individual. The issue with carbonated beverages is more a matter of the carbonation, which is in the food. flatulence is a result of digestion, not something that you're consuming.

I LoVE refried Beans and eat the vegetarian ones with a little salsa. Be careful because they can be pretty thick so go slow - even refried beans can get stuck!

I have 20 pounds of black Beans in my freezer right now. I live on them, Jerky, tuna, and few other things. I can make Soup or refried beans. When i took a cooking class in Mexico, the instructor threw the beans and juice in the blender to break them down, then cooked them up. That's what I do now too. Good luck.

MrD,

Be careful with Beans, most have a good amount of Protein but are high in carbs. If I don't take a lunch to work I run to the border and grab a pintos 'n cheese from Taco Bell. usually does the trick.

I try to keep a variety of microwaveable Soups at my desk. Have to be careful with those too, the creamy ones have too many calories. I like the Campbells Soup at Hand. I also buy the Lipton dry soup, there's 4 packets to the box and the chicken/small noodles only has 60 calories mixed with hot Water makes a quick afternoon lunch/snack.

9 mo later and I still have not mastered my daily Water intake. I'm renewing a commitment to myself and will work hard towards that this week.

Good luck,

Karla

Beans are the only thing that hasn't come back up on me.

I've now added a little cheese, dab of sour cream - and feel so full after.

Gas? Hell, anyone over 40 knows gas is a part of life either way :Banane56:

Beans are the only thing that hasn't come back up on me.

I've now added a little cheese, dab of sour cream - and feel so full after.

Gas? Hell, anyone over 40 knows gas is a part of life either way :Banane56:

I think it's just at the south end of things. Refrieds are a staple for me! Well, they used to be. Once you get to full mushies, refried Beans are full of fiber and chew well. I love them, I just don't eat them as much as I used to. Stock up! They are super filling when you get the hungries post-op.

I agree completely with this post! I love my vegetarian refried beans...plus I find them very filling!

Carbonation is a "north end" problem and Beans are a "south end" thing. I like that analogy!! "South end" gas won't hurt your band.

I have 20 pounds of black Beans in my freezer right now. I live on them, Jerky, tuna, and few other things. I can make Soup or refried Beans. When i took a cooking class in Mexico, the instructor threw the beans and juice in the blender to break them down, then cooked them up. That's what I do now too. Good luck.

You can also use one can of black beans blended until liquidfied then mix with 1 box of brownies. It makes them real low fat and they really taist good. I swear they don't taist like beans. They are real moist and chewy...don't think these are band friendly but i made some once and used half the mix in a cookie sheet and spread it evenly. Baked it till chrispy and covered it in ff cool whip. the toped it wilth another crispy bownie layer and froze them. Yummm ice cream sandwich!!!

I take a bog of black or pinto Beans and put them in the crock pot on low, cover with Water add some onion flakes or a chopped onion and let them cook until Soup like texture. I them take a few beans out and put them them in the blender and whiz them and add them back into the crock. I freeze them in smaller containers. You can add meat, my mom puts salt pork in hers, I put turkey ham in mine. They make a good quick easy meal and they last about 6 months in the freezer, but mine are always gone wayyy before that. Sometimes I add a small dab of sour cream and blend them into faux refrieds, or I eat them with mashed caluiflower. I love beans, they are a main staple of my diet now. The extra carbs are sorta voided by all the fiber in them according to my doctor. ~Mandy

Refried Beans are a staple of mine (I'm a vegetarian). I just head them in the microwave with salsa and a little cheese. A cup or less of that and I'm great for the evening. They are sort of high in carbs, but all the fiber and nutrients in them make them a great food, I think.

Emily