Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Does This Alone?

I'm doing this alone too. My only concern is getting home from the airport after the surgery. I wonder if that will be difficult to do alone?

It really depends. I drove home from the airport without a problem. I would take into account your pain when you're leaving and have a contingency of a cab

Thanks circa. But aren't you still on a bunch of pain meds at that time?

I wasn't. I haven't had anything for pain AT ALL since the day after surgery.

Wow! That's incredible. I was told to expect the same recovery as when I had my gall bladder removed in December. And I was on pain meds for about a week.. I couldn't stand the morphine after the first night though because it was just too strong, so I took hydrocodone, and then advil.

Shannon, I went to Dr. Almanza Jan.9th 2012. I went alone. I live in NC and flew out the day before and spent the night in San Diego. Met the driver back at the airport. I met some nice people that had brought someone and some were alone. Now that I went alone. I wished I had taken someone. It was harder than I expected. The flight home was uncomfortable. I wish you the best of luck...

Jewel....I live in Pflugerville/Austin, and would LOVE to get together sometime for support!

I am planning on going alone in April. I am arriving in San Diego on Sunday 22nd and having surgery on the 23rd. I am not bothered by it at all. I have traveled all over the world ( currently reside in China). I am sure as my surgery date gets closer, I will discover one or more people being there around the same time. I look at it as my big adventure to the new and improved me!! :)

Wow Nursemichele, China really...that is AWESOME!! I would love to visit China some day. I am a world traveler too :) best of luck w/ your surgery in April!

I am planning on going alone in April. I am arriving in San Diego on Sunday 22nd and having surgery on the 23rd. I am not bothered by it at all. I have traveled all over the world ( currently reside in China). I am sure as my surgery date gets closer, I will discover one or more people being there around the same time. I look at it as my big adventure to the new and improved me!! :smile1:

I just went to China too, by myself, as part of volunteer vacationing. It was amazing! I felt totally fine being alone there, I just booked a bunch of group tours and I met so many wonderful people from all over the world!

But this is a little different you have to admit. Yes, I am looking forward to the adventure of it all. I guess when I think about it, the only thing that I am truly worried about is if something goes wrong, and if I can finally lose this weight and keep it off! I was so thankful that my gall bladder erupted and I needed emergency surgery to remove it the very next day after returning from China. Can you imagine if it happened over there? What would I do??? Maybe I'd still be there! LOL!

I'm sure it will be fine. I am really looking forward to it and making new friends on this journey! :)

So, I just made my FINAL payment, and booked my airfare, and hotel for San Diego for the day before. It's done, I'm doing it.....I can't believe it!

Congrats Shannon! I am sooo happy for you! I will only be a month ahead. I had my surgery last friday with Almanza and all went well. There were a few hiccups with the travel from the airport to the hospital and some loud noises and overcrowdedness at the recovery house, but, the surgery itself was fine and the doctor did a good job. I wish you all of the best!!