Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Started... This Sucks! Any Advice?

(was that a nod to Pink Floyd, or am I just showing my age? :wink1: )

That was the first thing that popped into my head too. ;)

Don't beat your self up if you slip up and cheat. We are all human and are still dealing with emotional issues, stress, etc. We didnt become heavy overnight and our weight is not going to disappear overnite. I thought the pre op diet was hard and I fixed it to work for me. I was not losing weight on the diet they prescribed and I was feeling weak and dizziness and unable to maintain my strength to wrestle with inmates. Instead of the three yogurts I was allowed a day I ate cheese instead, which count my carbs even more and allowed more Protein. I also ate more than the cup of salad that was allowed on my diet. I did drink my Protein Shakes as advised though. When my surgery was over the I talked to the doctor about my decision and the doctor said my liver was the best he had ever seen, and I had lost twelve pounds. (A lady who was on the same floor as me and had surgery the same day only lost six pounds and she never strayed from the diet.) Yes, I think you should follow the doctors orders and try your very best, it is very hard to adjust to at the beginning, however if you do stray try rearranging your diet to fit your bodies needs. Good Luck

NCstatebabe,

How are you doing today? It does get better as the days pass atleast it has for me. Today is day 6 and tomorrow it will be half over! Thank you for posting this. I read the comments when I feel down or think about how hard this has been and it really does help. Thanks everyone for posting and sharing. I like hearing about everyone's journeys.

(was that a nod to Pink Floyd, or am I just showing my age? :wink1: )

you nailed it! :)

NCstatebabe,

How are you doing today? It does get better as the days pass atleast it has for me. Today is day 6 and tomorrow it will be half over! Thank you for posting this. I read the comments when I feel down or think about how hard this has been and it really does help. Thanks everyone for posting and sharing. I like hearing about everyone's journeys.

It's a lot easier today than yesterday. I'm still hungry but I try to drink my Protein shakes before I feel too hungry. Like I said before, I'm just taking it one day at a time now and today was a success! How about you? And yes, thanks again everyone for all of yalls encouraging advice

I just started my pre-op diet today...and yes the Protein shakes really takes hunger edge off.... I have the bari essential chocolate and i add a couple of drops of vanilla flavor in so that it won't taste like air and it works I have had 2 cups of sugar free Jello and my 64 oz of Water along with the Protein Shakes and I am not pulling my hair out. :banghead: :incazzato: When i feel the hunger angst i drink my Protein shake and it works. :smile1: I take it one day at time, I am not even thinking about 2/6(my surgery date) I am focused on where I am right now. So I count today as Victorious! smilingface%20%2852%29.gif I made it, time for a shower and off to bed. :amen: I will check in with you tomorrow since we are surgery twins...One day at a time! Operation Sexy 2012 in full effect :) :shades_smile: :thumbs_up:

You're doc Kim too BlueBonnet? I'll be there on 2/13!

I had two protien shakes a day and one decent low carb meal for lunch or dinner. I bought a jacklalane juicer from Walmart to start (eating more raw foods). I made fresh juices healthy ones like carrot, apple and ginger or cucumbers and apples. I then started using my blender more and made fresh smoothies out of fresh strawberries, my vanilla protien and non-fat milk for Breakfast. I also added one cup of spinich to my smoothies. I now love eating my vegges. I had so much fun and feel that I will continue this way because I had more energy. Good Luck

Day 3 Check in...Yesterday was good..my day just went so fast...Today was my ultimate test, we had a meeting today with Breakfast, so I walked in proud with my Protein Shake and sat down and enjoyed the meeting.... :banghead: after the meeting I w ent back home( I work from home) had a good day three...Oh I did a weigh in today and I have lost 6 lbs since I started my liquid diet on Monday :biggrin2: this has motivated me to continue on with strength...I really can do it :smile1:

Day 3 Check in...Yesterday was good..my day just went so fast...Today was my ultimate test, we had a meeting today with BREAKFAST, so I walked in proud with my Protein Shake and sat down and enjoyed the meeting.... :banghead: after the meeting I w ent back home( I work from home) had a good day three...Oh I did a weigh in today and I have lost 6 lbs since I started my liquid diet on Monday :biggrin2: this has motivated me to continue on with strength...I really can do it :smile1:

good job! i'm still holding up too but the real test will be when i have my next day off. i get bored very easily so hopefully i can find some great activities that will keep my mind off food. i haven't weighed myself yet but i'm sure i've lost a little as well :biggrin: good luck and i'll check in again tomorrow

good job! i'm still holding up too but the real test will be when i have my next day off. i get bored very easily so hopefully i can find some great activities that will keep my mind off food. i haven't weighed myself yet but i'm sure i've lost a little as well :biggrin: good luck and i'll check in again tomorrow

Take up quilting. The hours FLLYYYY by!!! ;)

Day 5 check in... Pretty good day, my first full day @ home with no distractions.. I may have some broth later, but no pains, no headaches, or cravings... How did everyone do today?

I am on day 12. Two more days to go! I have eaten cheese a few times. I hope I haven't messed it up too bad by doing that. This is so incredibly hard! I have a lot to do this weekend to get ready for the big day. So hopefully I can keep my mind occupied and the time goes by fast.

Day 5 check in... Pretty good day, my first full day @ home with no distractions.. I may have some broth later, but no pains, no headaches, or cravings... How did everyone do today?

Glad to hear you are doing well!!

Day 9 here. Work was horrible. food was all around me. My department decided to have beagles in the morning, pizza for lunch and subs and dessert later for a surprise party. I felt way overwhelmed and almost broke down crying at my desk. I wasn't craving anything just wanted to eat.

BUT I prevailed. When I was hungry I had a Protein shake and it worked! :-) just now have to make it through the weekend. 5 more days!! Good luck to those this weekend who are on the pre-op diet. Congrats to those who have been sleeved this week. I wish you all a speedy recovery.

day 5 check in: I havent cheated today and have been getting over the cravings a lot easier now. I absolutely love the new Protein powder I bought and am hoping that will keep the cravings away. good luck to everyone this weekend! We CAN do this :biggrin5:

also, ive had some cheese as well and was wondering if that messes anything up. does anyone know?

I'm Nervous my Surgery is in 10 days and I'm really struggling with the Protein Drinks already! Having trouble drinking them and keeping them down worried what will happen after surgery if I cant drink Protein drinks? I'm 5"6 weigh 320 and need the surgery. any recommendations? I started the liquid diet 14 days out but then my DR moved my surgery up two days (Feb 6 2012) so I really need to get this Protein Drink thing down They want me to drink four drinks daily 20-25 grams protein each day prior to surgery with the liquid diet. Any good suggestions?