Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Can I Decrease The Size In My Calves?

I have really big calves. I've been working on the treadmill in hopes of toning up my legs in addition to using some of the other leg related strength training machines at the gym. there is one particular machine that is geared toward the calves - I'm afraid to use it because I don't want my calves to get any bigger. Will using the machine help me to decrease my calf size and tone up the muscle or will the muscle I already have just get bigger?

Also, I have HUGE knees. I don't know that they'll shrink much, but is there something I can do to help tone down my secoya tree trunk legs at all?

I'm not an exerciser. I've only been playing one on tv since I got sleeved, and i've been doing my own thing pretty much. It would be nice to have a little guidance, but I have no money for a personal trainer. :-(

All you need it one session with a trainer to learn how to do the exercises correctly. Should set you back only about $25-$30 for a 1 hour session. Surely you are saving more than that on food each month ... right? And, you want to be productive with your time at the gym, too, right? You'd hate to be going for a month and then learn you could have been twice as productive if you had just been doing _____.

For me, everything has shrunk, well, almost everything (see The Man's Room). Arms, calves, rear, feet, hands ... everything. Toning will always look better than not.

If you absolutely don't want a trainer, I'm sure there are some videos out on YouTube related to calf toning.

You know that's a great idea about the trainer. I never knew how much they cost, so I always assumed that they were really expensive.

I'll also check youtube, that's usually my first go to research spot anyways.

Oh, I've already been to the Man's Room. This sleeve thing shrinks all the right places for you men huh? Completely the opposite for us women. Just ask my boobs, if you can find em. smh :biggrin:

While working out may help SOME please be ware that there is no such thing as spot toning ( here's one article: http://www.lifescript.com/diet-fitness/tips/i/is_spot_toning_possible.aspx ) . Excersizing helps musclle definition but if you are predisposed to having big calfs than nothing will really reduce the size besides overall weight loss or some radical surgery. Some have it in the butt, some the gut, seems that you are stuck with it in the calf. I have it in the backs of my thighs.

If you can't get the size down when you reach your weight loss goal then you'll either have to live with it or seek surgical assistance.

Sorry :(

Trainers are not as expensive as I initially thought. I have a friend who has a trainer coming to her home @ $15 per session with a 20 session minimum. He has agreed to allow me to attend the sessions at the same price. His special will last until Jan 31st. Perhaps you can find someone like him. I haven't been able to exercise yet. I actually tried walking my treadmill at home and because I'm not eating that much this month--it wiped me out. February will be my month. I agree, Youtube has a video for EVERYTHING. Blessings2u--BJ

Thanks Rootman. Reality is definitely a five letter word that rhymes with witch isn't it? lol

@Rootman, great article..thanks!

While working out may help SOME please be ware that there is no such thing as spot toning ( here's one article: http://www.lifescrip...g_possible.aspx ) . Excersizing helps musclle definition but if you are predisposed to having big calfs than nothing will really reduce the size besides overall weight loss or some radical surgery. Some have it in the butt, some the gut, seems that you are stuck with it in the calf. I have it in the backs of my thighs. If you can't get the size down when you reach your weight loss goal then you'll either have to live with it or seek surgical assistance. Sorry :(

Not quite true. There is no such thing as spot reducing. You can certainly spot tone. Your article supports this, too. And think about it. If you do nothing but arm curls, your arms are going to be far better toned than your legs.

Of course, you have to reduce to get to that point where you can see the toning, which is not possible to do in spots.

Well, I for one have fat calves and tree trunk legs. I am only 5'4" and I have a hard time finding a boot that I can zip over my calf.. well, I cant find one. Now that I have lost 61 pounds, my knees just suddenly reappeared! I have knotty knee caps! Who knew? My key chain hangs down from the ignition now and bumps against this bony prominence called a knee cap and now is sore from it! What the H E double hockey sticks????? I never knew I had knees under there. I am hoping that by next fall, I will be able to wear any boot I damn well please. I am still too scared to try them right now. I dont want to face dissappointment. I have been walking each evening and I think that is helping. I dont do a lot of exercise either but I am trying. I hope that both of us find our knees and realize we have beautiful legs under all this! I believe we do! Hang in there and see what happens! I think if you just exercise, like walking and toning, you will be pleasantly surprised what your legs really look like underneath it all.

I have a PT and he's great at what he does. He helps me focus on the correct positions and has started me out on core exercises I can do at home. I really needed to start here. ;)

Forensikchic: You can problably wear those boots now! Since you have been walking alot, are your thighs jigglely? My feel like they are swinging everywear. LOL ;)

Forensikchic: You can problably wear those boots now! Since you have been walking alot, are your thighs jigglely? My feel like they are swinging everywear. LOL :wink1:

Mine are quite jiggly on top. I am wondering if I will need to have a thigh lift later on. I still have a lot of cellulite on my thighs as well. They are a lot smaller though. I have lost about 5 inches in them!

Forensikchick - boots are on sale now! It's the best time to try em out!

Forensikchic: My thighs are so much smaller now, but still have the shape of the bigger me! Yikes, I have alot of work to do........ :banghead:

Not quite true. There is no such thing as spot reducing. You can certainly spot tone.

YES, you are exactly right, mea culpa. The proper term I should of used is SPOT REDUCING. You can improve the definition of many body areas and spot TONE but not necessarily lose fat in those specific areas - which is what the OP was asking about. The body adds fat and consumes fat as it was genetically destined to do and no amount of excersize can reduce fat in any given specific area. You can only improve the LOOKS of the area by firming up the muscles underneath.

BTW: I have been swimming for like 10 months now and am absolutly AMAZED at how well my muscles look in areas like my calfs and biceps. I actually HAVE muscles there now! I used to be of course just round and flabby Years ago when I was thin I was just round and skinny. Now I have scoops and dips and definition. It's so cool!