Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so pissed!!

Thanks again people ((hug))

That thread is still alive and well, sadly. But I am glad to say I am not a part of it anymore.

I was pointed in the direction of a thread by another member at that board, where the lady going on about WLS not being the old fashioned way, was talking about taking (and I quote) "Medically controlled speed".

While I see nothing at all wrong with taking diet pills if they work for you, (and are safe) people who do have no room to talk down to others about not doing it the "old fashioned way"

*sigh* I wish we could all just get along! I wish for world peace too.

((Hugs)) Thanks again people. Your kind words. It helped calm me down, and stoped me saying something stupid!!

well i thought that i could have her support.. but i guess not..........early congrads on getting the band...

You don't need her support you have ours!!!!!!!

I am the middle of three girls....my lil sis had GB 4 yrs ago...older sis poo-nickied it from the start....it was awful. (I totally supported lil sis!!) So now when I decided to get banded ...I naturally called lil sis to get info but told her not to tell anyone...i didn't even tell my hubby at that point. I told him just before the appt...I told mom after the appt. My kids knew the day I decided (very supportive too!).

My mom was surprisingly supportive -she trusts no one. (lol)

Back when I took Phen-Phen and only had 25lbs to lose.....I was at my big sis's house and she was talking and about an hour after I got there she said to me........"I lost 5 lbs and you didn't even notice".....with that I turned to her and said "I lost 30 lbs and you didn't notice!!!" she was shocked and told me she couldn't tell.....omg I was a stick....how could she not tell! So i decided not to tell her about lap banding...but I did tell her finally last week because of my diagnosis of sleep apnea and knew nothing about it--her husband has it so i called to ask questions ---and then she (nicely-oddly) mentioned losing weight...and that was my que...i told her ...she was shocked and claimed to never have heard of lapband...yeah right....she left for vacation the next day so i got away with the "downer" i expected...lol. None of my other relatives know...I have no trouble telling perfect strangers....but friends and relatives...umm no. My plan is to "flaunt" later. LOL.

We are here for you!!!!!!

p.s. I forgot to mention that big sis could benefit from a band herself!!

Best Wishes!!

I'm so sorry! So far everyone has been nice and supportive (to my face) about this whole process. My best friend in OH (I live in MA) joined Weight Watchersthe day I had sx so we could go thru this together in very different ways. Think of it this way...you did this for you and your own reasons, we all did. If they don't like it #@!* 'em!

Sticks and stones may break my bones...who cares what those jealous hussies have to say about how we lost the weight. We lost it, didn't we? Nothing succeeds like success. A pox on the wenches who dare to bad mouth my banded sisters and me.

I had some well-meaning friends (a couple) tell me "we are going to accept ourselves just like we are".

Last time I looked in the mirror the real me was hiding under a large layer of fat--built by low self-esteem, anger, frustration.....

The large layer of fat isn't the real me. The real me is starting to emerge. LB has given me another chance to "accept myself just the way I was meant to be!"

The best revenge, is a life well lived. In the future as they struggle, not just with their weight, but with learning to eat in a way that will not result in the yo-yo of "doing it the old fashioned way", you will be out, doing things, living the life of someone who knows the proper way to eat, and exercise. Years ago, I learned the best way to shut my brother up when we argued as kids, was to give him a holier than thou smile, and not say a single word. Let the smile speak volumes. He hated it then, and to this day!! He tells me "I know what that smile and one raised eyebrow mean!" heck sometimes I don't even know what they mean, but they shut him up!!! It worked with the kids, it works with rude salespeople....makes them wonder what the heck is up!!! Don't even dignify them with a response.

Sammee today was your TT I believe, I hope all is well, and your recovery as smooth as that belly will soon be!!! WTG girl!!!

Kat

The "old fashioned way" is often over-rated. I had natural childbirth (not planned) and it sucked.

My grandmother was raised on a farm and lived there all her life (she died at 92). She got her milk the old fashioned way. I tried milking a cow once and it's harder than it looks, so I buy my milk at Kroger's.

My stepson and his wife have triplets. They couldn't get pregnant the old fashioned way, so they did invitro fertilization. Their kids are just like the regular kind - no better and no worse.

I had a cyst in my wrist. The old fashioned treatment was to smash it with a big, thick book. I had it removed surgically - under anesthetic. I will take drugs over nostalgia any day.

Thats part of the reason Im considering staying in the closet. It will STILL be a ton of work. I dont want anyone to minimize my efforts! The band is to help with the 30% when Ive had history of binging- It wont help the loss from tread mill and cutting back. I understand I will still have Head hunger and that is all the battle!

People are so insensitive.

Aussie Chick I think you look wonderful!! And such and inspiration!!

All I can say is... sure people can be unsupportive, and yes, we do need support- BUT if the person that had had lapband surgery didn't talk about it to me, I would have never known it to be a possibility, so as long as my friends and family have questions, I will answer them because there are SOOO many people who would benefit from the knowledge. It's like the AIDS epidemic- the more we know, the more we can stop the stigma against it.

And yes, I have experienced people not being supportive, asking me why I couldn't do it on my own, and I tell them- how many people can actually keep the weight off? This is not a diet, its a tool to a new lifestyle. And yes, I mourn food sometimes. I no longer have that comfort, but I am finding comfort in other areas of my life. food no longer controls me, and when I explain that - even to my skinniest friends, they understand- they want me to be happier. They look forward to shopping with me and sharing clothes. Maybe I'm lucky?

To the people that don't agree, I would say, "You have no idea whats it like to be me, or what is best for ME. If you do not agree, then thats your opinion, and its best kept to yourself."

Just my two cents..... :D

and I'm sorry you had to deal with that! (HUGS)!

Doing on your own? I have done it on my own thousands of times, what are they saying? As I look at all the people who are like me and done it on there own at least as many times as I. We just decided to get a little help now and hopefully it will be the help that makes it be the final and last time.

The only issue for me personally on keeping the banding on the QT is feeling I am being deceitful to others. I heard my husband tell his cousin (when I got skinny on Phen-Phen) that i did a low calorie diet...she wanted to see the book and got all excited....and while it was true that I was following a low calorie diet, it was after the fact that I lost the weight (ha ha all 25 lbs of it)with pills. I felt awful that she thought that! I won't be running around like the town crier---but when they ask I will tell them. I told my Aunt the other day....she said hmmm i never heard of that. I told her in such a matter of factly way that she didn't have the chance to give me the "poo-nicky" on the band. If my whole town was against me....I'd flaunt my skinny ass down main street and I just wouldn't care. ha ha (then I'd probably have to move...lol ...but you know what I mean!)

I wont lie, but Im not volunteering! My close friend considers it cheating, my mother says we dont have obesity in the family- she is 5'3' 220ish- :)

the people I work with have only had negative imput. So I figure I gave my support systems the chance to be inolved- they all made their choice. So too will I make mine.. Have the lapband done and not disclose what they dont want to hear. My dh is 100% onboard. I have found a new support system who is always up, Telly by herself could carry me through this- she is a riot!!

I have made contacts with support groups in my area and I fully understand what Im undertaking! This will cut my breast cancer risk, decreased my LDL, increase my HDL, decrease cardiovascular, and stroke risk- It is a win win!!