Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Yr Out, Starving, Even After A Protein Shake, Help?

Hi,

Title says it all.... I'm hungry all the time. Stomach growls and have gnawing feeling about every two hours, even after I drink a Protein Drink, or have a small meal. Stomach is still tight, I do get full fast and small portions, however the hunger returns so quickly. Effecting weight loss because I am grazing more.

Still drinking a lot too, sometimes that works!

Any advice?

Thanks!

Are you taking an acid reducer? Is it possible you have acid mimicking the feeling of hunger?

When you eat, are you eating on plan (i.e. Proteins first, etc.)? I find that if I eat a meal that's heavier in carbs I feel hungry sooner than if I eat primarily Protein and veggies. Maybe you just need to rework your food plan and see if something works better for you?

I'm sorry, that must be frustrating!

I find stay full longer with denser Protein - chicken or meatballs for example, as opposed to a Protein Shake, or cottage cheese or tuna fish. I really have to watch what I choose for lunch if I don't want to have a bad snack attack a couple of hours later. Could it be that you need denser protein?

Hi, I am on Prilosec, is that an acid reducers? I use it for heart burn. I do really try to eat Protein first, that is why I am so frustrated.

Hi Sassy

I`m about 18 moths out. I am always hungry after about 2-4 hours, I always have been. I just wanted to say that you're not the only one. I understand how hard it is not to graze.

Thanks, Little Steve ! I appreciate knowing I am not alone. I see my dr. In Febrary, perhaps he can provide an answer for us...

i have that same issue. i went to my dietician and she said if you drink to soon after eating it just washes the food you just ate out of your sleeved stomach which makes you hungry again sooner. also on the flip side if you drink to much right before you eat then you are leaving little room in your stomach for food before you get full. always drink 1 hour before or 1 hour after eating. never at the same time or within minutes of each other.

hope that helps!

chicken , beef and pork keep me full much longer than anything that is mushy at all such as ground beef or fish.

I will be very curious to hear what you find out in February. I hope your doctor has some good answers for you.

I'm with BigDaddyDLow, I've been advised to not to drink 30 min before or after eating. Also, Protein Drink never "stick" for obvious reasons, so I get hungrier faster if I use them too much. Can you call you doc before Feb and get some advice?

try Protein bars...I cut a bar into four pieces and it thru the day. If my stomach growls i eat a piece and it satisfys my hunger. They are kind of heavy so it stays with you better then a shake. I hope this helps.

Big Daddy

I never drink while i'm eating (i miss that)wacko.png I totally understand if i ate at the same time i would "flush" my food down...right? What I didn't get was why i couldn't eat 45-60 minutes before i ate. I think i get it now, thanxunsure.png

kgb I don't understand what you mean when you say "Protein drink never "stick" for obvious reasons" After my Protein shake i am so very full - what do you mean?noidea.gif

bigdaddy - congratulations on your weight loss - how proud you must be as your journey continuehail.gif

good luck to all working on their possible grazing problem.

kathy

me again - end of 1rst paragraph- i meant to say "why I couldn't DRINK" 45-60 minutes before i ate. (not eat) ooops

kathy

I was told to avoid the hungry feeling to make sure I wait 30 minutes between eating and drinking.

I am 9 weeks out as of tomorrow (Wednesday) and I find that my stomach wants something to eat every 2-2 1/2 hours. I drink Water all day and I'm still trying to find real Protein (meat) that can go down easy. Thus far little broiled hot wings are great, but I realize I can't eat them everyday. I'll try turkey meatballs to see if that'll help. Good luck to you and I pray that your food issues are revolved. Blessings2u--BJ

I'm 13 months out and in the same boat. I find a few saltine crackers mid morning and mid afternnon and a light snack at 9 PM keep me going, it does slow down the weight loss but if you're still losing or maintaining (in my case) it works.