Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's my opinion that just relying solely on a NUT for information or even a PCP for info is not a good idea. The reason why is because some of these professionals do not keep up with the latest info. They get their degrees get a job and are fine handing out the same information they learned 10 years ago. The best way is to be an advocate for yourself. It used to be that all the info was in libraries or by professionals but it isn't that way anymore. We are connected to a huge web of knowledge and some of it is published by very reliable sources. You must sort out what is truth and what isn't and just reading a forum on the internet doesn't cut it. However, I find I get much better and more complete information by doing my own research and then if I have any confusion or want clarity on a specific topic to then ask a professional since their time is usually limited. If I learned anything in nursing school it's that most of what is said in the medical field is pulled straight out of an old text or your ass. I, at least, choose who's ass I pull it out of.

Amen!

It's my opinion that just relying solely on a NUT for information or even a PCP for info is not a good idea. The reason why is because some of these professionals do not keep up with the latest info. They get their degrees get a job and are fine handing out the same information they learned 10 years ago. The best way is to be an advocate for yourself. It used to be that all the info was in libraries or by professionals but it isn't that way anymore. We are connected to a huge web of knowledge and some of it is published by very reliable sources. You must sort out what is truth and what isn't and just reading a forum on the internet doesn't cut it. However, I find I get much better and more complete information by doing my own research and then if I have any confusion or want clarity on a specific topic to then ask a professional since their time is usually limited. If I learned anything in nursing school it's that most of what is said in the medical field is pulled straight out of an old text or your ass. I, at least, choose who's ass I pull it out of.

While I agree you must be your own advocate, whose advice do you think is best on this topic? The NUT/PCP/Surgeon which knows your case or an internet forum?

Lord knows I have fought with nurses and Dr.s over the years over outlandish advice, but I think that is a better place to start than an internet forum.

I think we all agree it's probably not the best idea to take our information from everyday folk and use it for gospel on an internet forum. Suggestions yes, but to medicate us, probably not the best idea. ;)

While I agree you must be your own advocate, whose advice do you think is best on this topic? The NUT/PCP/Surgeon which knows your case or an internet forum? Lord knows I have fought with nurses and Dr.s over the years over outlandish advice, but I think that is a better place to start than an internet forum.

Er um but with that said NOT ONE of my NUTS or PCP or SURGEONS or EDUCATORS have had WLS and don't know what works best from a personal experience FIRST HAND. I really think WE MUST BE OUR own advocate and find out from the ALL AREAS of information out there to see what works BEST :), just sayin...keep the change LOL!

I get all my Protein from actual food, and haven't had a Protein shake or any other disgusting form of Protein since about week 1 or 2. I work consciously at eating small healthy meals, usually Soup. I almsot always include 2 different sources of protein in my Soups. In fact, my latest blog post just this morning was about sources of protein! Thanks for the good info!

I get all my protein from food as well.

Er um but with that said NOT ONE of my NUTS or PCP or SURGEONS or EDUCATORS have had WLS and don't know what works best from a personal experience FIRST HAND. I really think WE MUST BE OUR own advocate and find out from the ALL AREAS of information out there to see what works BEST :), just sayin...keep the change LOL!

None of mine had either, but I think they can assess how much Protein I should be taking in each meal better than someone on an internet forum. I informed my NUT that I am running 4 days a week and doing one other activity, spinning or interval aerobics. She said at my current weight and activity I should try to get xx grams in the morning after I wake, xx after a workout and xx sprinkled throughout the day with meals and Snacks. It's nothing outlandish and unheard of.

This is not like we are trying to figure out if we should be taking codeine or percoset, here. Each of which affects our bodies differently. Protein is pretty generic stuff which, as is evidenced by the thread, grows into something so complicated people can't get their heads around it.

It really is simple. All I'm trying to say is talk to people who know about this stuff. If you feel that is an internet forum, then God bless you.

In the Nov 2008 issue of Bariatric Times there is an article relating to Protein, that deals with the issues in this form . Click on the link and scroll down to nutrition and perspectives http://bariatrictimes.com/2008/11/ It discusses the "30g myth", and concludes that the bariatric team should work together to maximize patients results. (Btw Bariatric times is written for Drs and other practioners interested in "Clinical Developments and Metabolic Insights in Total Bariatric Patient Care".). I agree with some posters who say you need to listen to your NUT and Drs, but I also agree that some are not as updated (or competant) as they should be. I think a forum like this is good so that we can share ideas- not necessarily take specific advice without consulting professionals or making up our own minds. (I think of the saying, "just because someone tells you, jump off a bridge..." ). I think it especially interesting because we come from different parts of the country,have different experiences, and get different advice from our professionals.Thanks to everyone for their input, even if I don't agree with or follow your advice, I do appreciate it and it does make me think.

WHAT??? Do you mean to try and tell me I can't just put 3 scoops into my morning smoothy and eat crap the rest of the day? what's up with that?

While I agree you must be your own advocate, whose advice do you think is best on this topic? The NUT/PCP/Surgeon which knows your case or an internet forum? Lord knows I have fought with nurses and Dr.s over the years over outlandish advice, but I think that is a better place to start than an internet forum.

Actually I had a blood clot in my lungs in 03 and I went to my orthopedic surgeon 6 times to say I had pain that the pain killers wasn't taking care of. He threw another script (threw literary) and said not to come back asking for more. 3 days later I was coughing up blood in the ER. How did I find out I had a blood clot? Well I was in nursing school at the time (was taking a couple weeks off for broken ankle) but I went onto the internet and did a search for my symptoms. I went into a walk in clinic and they sent me straight over to the hospital. They were pretty shocked I wasn't dead.

When my son was vomiting over and over again, gaining weight like crazy, and screaming for hours on end his pedi said it was reflux or colic. After two months of not knowing I posted on a Mothering forum and the next day a story was relayed where the baby was having the exact problems and it was whey allergy. Sure enough, I quit drinking milk or dairy products other than goat's milk and my son was a million times better. My second son had the same aversion/allergy (whatever you want to call it)

When I was so full of self hatred about my weight and having been through countless diets and feeling defeat over and over I went to my PCP. He told me "Eat less and move more". 60 bucks well paid. I started reading on lapband forums and that led me here. Voila I'm 120 (almost) pounds lighter.

I could go on and on. I dropped all 3 (well the pcp dropped me after finding I went to MX for surgery) of those practitioners and since I've found pedis, and pcps. I actually bring in what I've learned on the internet regardless of if it's about vaccines or weight loss surgery and we discuss it.

Via forums I get the opinions of hundreds of other people who are in the same situation I'm in. I also get the library of knowledge of what they have researched. I get personal experience and unlimited time to ask/answer questions. So....If I had to pick internet forums (and you are making the assumption that people rely solely on the info they find in the forums and do no other research) or a Doctor. Well I'll be right here on the forum when I need info.

I understand what you are saying. Don't read a forum topic that says you need 60 grams, run off throw 60 grams into a shake and think you are done. This is being straight lazy and the few people who actually do this don't want to be their own advocate. Your post won't help them either because they won't read the whole thing. My point is that a NUT or MD isn't the end all be all either. A little of both is needed. Editing to add I hope my post doesn't come off as snarky. I do not hide the fact that I am disenchanted with the medical system after having experienced what I have and working in the field. It is valuable to have a discussion of both sorts IMO.

My point is that a NUT or MD isn't the end all be all either.

I totally agree, but we need a place to start.

A lot of folks have been working with their team for months going through the whole process ending with a surgery. Since they allowed them to be operated on by that team, I would hope they have done their research on them and have a relationship with them. Same thing with their PCP. If you don't feel you can ask your PCP how much Protein you should be getting each day, or trust a resource they give you, then you have WAY bigger problems than Protein intake.

Let's not make this more than what it is. This mole-hill has become a mountain and I hate to see a thread get hijacked by something totally unrelated.

Equating medical situations, blood clots and serious pediatric issues is hardly fair in the context of this thread. I have a dozen ridiculous stories of where the medical community has their heads so far up their @$$ ... well, you know the rest.

Of course do your research. I mention that above. My point is a good place to start is with your team. I have read countless threads which start, "Protein shakes taste terrible. I'm a complete failure. What should I do?" or "I have no problem getting my protein in, I use those 48 g shots."

IMO, protein intake is a personal thing. If you feel the internet is the place to start, and you can't trust the team you just let take 85% of your stomach out, then God bless you and good luck. Find another NUT or PCP. But I can pretty much guarantee you Martha from Holyoke, VA has no idea what your protein plan should be.

My point in mentioning those other mishaps was that I had researched those Doctors and trusted them. I'm saying start with the internet and forums and THEN go to your doctor. Their time is limited and you should have your specifics in a row before you see them so you can get the most out of their visits.