Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I justed joined the forums, so I thought I would introduce myself. My Name is Eric. I live in Ohio & back in Sept 12' I have the Vertical Sleeve Surgery. I was 340 pounds the day of my surgery(49.5% BMI), & currently I wiegh 255 pounds (36.6 BMI), I am 31 years old, father of 2 teenage daughters. Its been a rough journey so far but looking forward to the furture.

Hi there! I am married and a mother of three! My oldest is 18 next is 14 and the baby is 12!!!! Lol

I am a nail tech for the past 22 years and own my own salon! Love all kinds if music and love to dance!!!!!

So I am 49 year old dad who is married to wonderful wife for over 28. (through thick and thin you might say LOL) We have a 16 year old son who has a neuromuscular desease. Since I was a kid I have been up and down on my weight and for the last few year have creept up to 320 lbs. Call it stress over the job, my son's illness whatever I started having health issues. Type II diabetes, sleep apenea, gout, blood pressure issue etc. About 8 years ago I had both hips replace and got back into "better" shape, but that didn't last long. So for all these reasons I maded the call and set-up an appointment. Figured the worst would be that I won't qualify! So much for that theory. Research all the options and went for the sleeve. Now I don't just jump into this stuff, I started the post surgery diet before seeing the doctor, just to see if was even possible. Of coarse with a large stomach it was challenging but not impossible, however this was going to be a life altering choice. The support I got from family, friends, work, and doctors was amazing. So I had the surgery April 1st, 2013. Wow the 2 weeks of liquids presurgery have been the hardest part, but since the surgery I have been doing great. Oh yes I haven't been perfect, eatting too fast, eating too much etc and paid the price and learned! But overall I am extremely pleased, although running of cloths that fit quickly. I have my 20year old shirts in the back of the closet that now fit again! The entire family found a gym close by and I rearranged my schedule so that I drop my son off and go to the gym then to work. But I also take my son (as he needs assistant) so we work out together which is the best medicine for his illness. Now I am working on the pyschological part and trying to get off the refridgerator's speed dial list, as it's still calling me. Taking it one day at time and enjoying life! Thanks for letting me share my story and look forward to chatting with everybody! norm

I am 53, married, with two wonderful kids -- a 19-year-old son and a 21-year-old daughter. I have battled with my weight all of my life, but especially since I had children. I had my first visit with my pcp on April 19 so I'm hoping to have surgery by October or November at Magee (UPMC) in Pittsburgh, PA. I feel like it's "me" time and I want to be a healthy person who enjoys going out instead of hiding from social activities. I've been reading this forum for several weeks and am amazed and inspired by your stories. I would look forward to hearing from anyone who had surgery at Magee. Thanks for listening!

I justed joined the forums' date=' so I thought I would introduce myself. My Name is Eric. I live in Ohio & back in Sept 12' I have the Vertical Sleeve Surgery. I was 340 pounds the day of my surgery(49.5% BMI), & currently I wiegh 255 pounds (36.6 BMI), I am 31 years old, father of 2 teenage daughters. Its been a rough journey so far but looking forward to the furture.[/quote']

That is a great weight loss, congrats!

I am new to the group. I am 56 years old and love travel and any type of outdoor activities. I am the mother of a great daughter and son-law. I work as a nurse and have spent a lifetime taking better care of others than I have of myself. I have been overweight off and on my whole life. In my early forties I seemed to lose the battle and was about 10 lbs up each year. By the time I reached 50 yrs old' date=' the extra weight had started causing health problems so a year ago my physician told me to lose it or else! I worked with someone who had a gastric sleeve and she was very positive about her experience so I attended a seminar , signed up and started the 6 month process of preparing for my surgery. I went through a very difficult emotional time coming to grips with my perceived "failure" to gain control of my weight and health without the help of something as drastic as this surgery. I am not overly emotional but cried a lot over this. I wasn't even totally committed until the week before surgery. After all the struggles I am 5 months out and can say with no doubt this is the best thing that I have ever done for myself. My health has drastically improved and I now realize that my emotional struggle before surgery was mourning the loss of my health and active lifestyle. When asked how much I want to lose or what my weight loss goal is, I answer that my goal isn't a number but my goal is is regain my health and my active lifestyle.[/quote']

Thank you for your story, it really hits home for me. You are an inspiration to me!!

Hi my name is Kelly. Since about age 13 I have always suffered with weight issues. No matter what I tried nothing seemed to work. I have been debating this surgery for a while and in December decided to go for it. I started the process. Thankfully my insurance didn't require a length of time. I had to meet with a pulmonologist' date=' get a psych consult, ultrasound and 1 nutrition appt. I am done and now just waiting for my surgery.

Yesterday I was given my date. I will have my surgery on May 20th and start my pre-op diet on May 6th.

I am for once putting myself first. For so many years I have put everyone else first.[/quote']

Your story is just like mine and I am in a holding pattern waiting on the insurance approval now. It was submitted a month ago so hopefully soon! I do not have a date yet though. I will be 50 in September and want to be a healthier, slimmer me by then so I can more fully enjoy life!!

I don't know how I have missed this great thread!

My name is Sue . I am 48 years old. I am married to my best friend for 28 years. We have 2 grown children. We have a golden retriever and a boxer that get me out walking. Love them !!!!

I always thought I was heavy but now when I look back I was really quite average. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 9 years ago. The weight started piling on quickly. I have not been able to exercise as much as I used to for almost 11 years. Medication has helped a lot . Losing 85 pounds has gotten me back out walking again.

I am a glass bead maker and jewelry artist. I have the best job in the world!! We travel all over Minnesota doing art fairs and love it. My hubby is a computer guy but loves to do woodwork and wood turning. He is also very creative.

I love my sleeve and how well it has worked for me. I highly recommend it !!

Hi my name is Brenda.I am a single mom of a soon-to-be 15 year old boy, the light of my life! He has always been and still is very athletic, a healthy eater, and very active.

I have had weight problems on and off in my younger years and steadily for the last 10 years...I used to be very athletic and active myself, and was able to run and play with him, roller blade, run, ride horses.....but somewhere between working full time, raising my son by myself, putting him first in everything I do, and getting my bachelors and masters degrees......I lost focus on ME and forgot to take care of myself. I was hit with Rheumatoid arthritis, hypothyroid, metabolic syndrome and sleep apnea ALL at the same time in 2008.....since then I have battled pain, swelling, flareups, asthma attacks, on and off steroids constantly, very little physical exercising, and lots of pity eating and party eating........and have gained an additional 10 pounds a year since then on average......

Here I am turning 50 in September, 5'8", and 328 pounds! That is a bmi of 50. :-( I have a mental picture of the thinner, healthier, active me in my mind and I know I am still buried in this body somewhere....I just need to find me again.

I am mentally prepared and very excited about this surgery!! I don't have a date yet but have been through all of the required appointments, and am just waiting for the insurance approval/authorization...I am hoping to have it by mid May, hopefully.

Nice to meet all of you!!! surgery.png?ts=1367035796 bodyweight.png?ts=1367035484

Hi, I live in Wichita Falls, TX and have worked for the same company for almost 20 years, for the last 14 years I have worked from home. I have a daughter getting her bachelors in nursing from MSU and we live together. I have been batteling my weight for 20 + years. Last spring my pcp asked me to please consider WLS and I looked into it but did not have the means to pay for it. My benefits at work do not cover anykind of WLS. This year I did better in budgeting and will be able to self pay for the sleeve procedure. I have my first consult on 5.16.13 and hope to put my surgery in the books for 7.19.13. I am scared and anxious but know that I WILL succeed because it's time to live and stop hiding!

I am brand new to this site and very excited for the journey to come. I am just shy of 39 and a mother of 3, 2 girls aged 9 and 7 and a 14 month old son. I am happily married and this year marks our 20th anniversary together, I say together because I refuse to start from our wedding date as I put in 9 years prior to it. :P I adore the outdoors, camping, fishing, hiking and such. I also enjoy playing sports and look forward to being so much more active in life.

I've had a pretty rough couple of years and am very grateful for the second chance we now find ourselves in. In July of 2011 we were surprised with our third pregnancy, resulting in a very speedy move to a bigger house in August. He was certainly meant to be here and I will forever credit our youngest with saving my life. Due entirely to pregnancy ultrasounds, as I had no symptoms, they discovered that I had kidney cancer. Apparently an unusual occurrence this early in life. A week later, after surgery, I was cancer free and my son was happy as can be still thriving in utero until his healthy birth February 29th. It's still all very surreal as it happened so fast and really never presented to me emotionally the way all those around me seemed to think it should. I am very grateful for that.

I am likely having surgery this summer and I can't wait to turn 40 with an even newer lease on life than I already have.

I am very much looking forward to putting myself first for a while and, in turn, being able to spend the next part of my life really living instead of simply window shopping. :)

I am new here too. I had my gastric sleeve on 4/23. I am now in the healing phase. I have always had problems with my weight. Its been up, down, and all around. It suddenly hit me one day- I have spent the 1st half of my life in a constant struggle with my weight. I will be darned if I spend the second half of my life struggling like that. Not one more day. I don't want my children to struggle with their weight like I have. I had to get my weight under control. I will be celebrating my 40th birthday next year as a thinner and healthier person!

Hi everyone! My name is Shannon I am 32 have a wonderful husband and two beautiful girls ages 6 and 1. I am a radiology technologist by day and a bullshitter by night. I have more than I deserve in life and thank God everyday for it all. I am a huge music fan but not the snobby I know everything about every genre type. I am into everything from classic jazz to bluegrass. I can get down to some hillbilly stompin! hehehe I love Halloween! I actually love ALL holidays! I like arts and crafts. I love to decorate! I love even more to watch my husband roll his eyes when I get my decorating itch. I am addicted to pinterest. I currently have taken up gardening. The jury is still out on that. My bucket list is to travel the world, visit every state in good ole USA, learn to ride a motorcycle, run a 5K then maybe 10K and marathon (hell just run period really) and be a pin-up girl for a day! (I want to make a calendar for my hubby but I don't have the balls to do it yet). :D

brad8197. Live in Wisconsin, and Michigan. Going through the program at UW Madison. Down to the last tests. Endoscopy on Monday, meet again with surgeon on Tuesday, sleep study on Wednesday. looking forward to setting a date for surgery. I am married to my best friend for the last 42 years. I have a 5 year old grandson, who my wife is his nanny. I am so ready to lose the weight! I need both knees replaced, from years of crawling on the floor for my work. But my ortho surgeon said I need to lose 50 lbs before he will operate. Will post more later.

Just had my 2nd required class today. Learning a lot. Monday is my endoscopy, Tuesday, a follow up with the surgeon, Wednesday, my sleep study, and next friday, my last class. Then on to ins. for approval, which I have been told, will be covered. But, I want that paper!! Will let everyone know the results.

Hey ! I'm Dana I'm a 18 year old Wife , mother and student I have two busy little boys both one and teo only 11m apart talk about busy. I've been married for almost a year and I'm a bank teller at a bank lol my lifes been ok just waiting to start my new life with the sleeved lol my hisband says o you bout to get sleeved up lol he's a big support and loves me either way