Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im Worried, I Had A Whole Cup Of Broth, And Im Only Four Days Out From My Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Last night I made some beef broth, sat in frount of the tv with my family, and over a 20 minute period, I had eaten the whole cup!! I've been so worried, I though i could only eat 2 ounces at a time..a cup is EIEGHT! i kept having these dreams that my stomach just grew right back after surgery, and this certainly didnt make it feel any less impossible. does anyone have any insight for me? please tell me im crazy...

Don't worry. broth is a clear liquid so if you are able to drink a glass of Water in that time you will also be able to take in the same amount of broth. When you start with the full liquids like creamy Soups you will find you will not be able to take in as much and then solids are a whole diffent ball of wax, that is when you will find 2 oz will fill you up..

liquids like that go right thru me - I put down a cup of broth and half a cup of juice in a sitting in the hospital, but my wife, after her DS a few years ago, could only put down her nominal stomach size in fluids for a long time. Doc says it's just one of the variations between us. The soft foods like yogurts and puddings a couple days later went down a lot slower, so no worries there.

liquids go right on through, once you start on solids, especially dense Proteins, you'll find you can't eat hardly anything. Your doing fine. . . at 2 years out i still can only eat 1 chicken leg and a few veggies. . . but you give me slider foods and i can eat everythng without a problem. . . especially chips and cakes and such. . . Christmas has not been kind to me this year, heheheh but thank goodness it comes but once a year and i have that whole of next year to "fix" myself again! Life if good. . . .

Thank you so much guys!! I feel much better<3 I was really worried..like "NOOOOO that crazy reacurring pre op dream i kept having, came trueee!!!" i kept dreaming that i worke up in recovery, with my surgeon, and many other doctors around me, talking about what a medical mystery I was, with my stomach growing back..UGG! Sounds so irrational..Thanks for bringing me back down to reality!! <3

hi fellow sleevers

I am 7 days post-op and i totally love chicken brothlaugh.png yum yum yum - need to get more fluids in, so chicken broth is simple for me to drink. this is a good one for me to drink. i know i need to do more Protein shakes & of course Water. I luv purple popsicles thoughregular_smile.gif

Soon to be me et al: i had the scariest dream last night, 1rst off candy bars are one of my biggest weaknessess

I dreamt that about one million candy bars like snickers, babe ruth, butter fingers, etc. etc. etc. were jumping and hopping all around my bed and attacking me. I'm not kidding - no smiley face here it was a nightmaresad_smile.gif

kathy

DOS 12/15/11

Glad you posted this, I'm not having any problems getting these clears down either, and today, in fact, I could drink my way through my clear Protein supplements, etc, quite quickly, so I hope its ok. I have been having same thoughts as you....did the doc really do it? Or did he just fix the hernia and call it good...LOL.

I start with full liquids tomorrow, we'll see if its any different then.

When drinking chicken broth I keep the straw in my mouth mostly the entire time and sip continuously. I can get it down in about 10-15 mins, no problem. Yesterday I had a cream Soup that I diluted quite a bit down to a loose gravy consistency and I did notice that I could not continuously sip, I had to take the straw out of my mouth for about 10 seconds and then continue.

When you all eat the cream Soups do you dilute them? I don't see much of a difference between the cream Soup (diluted) and the broth as far as going down with ease.

Of course with the Protein shake it takes a little longer just because I don't like the taste and I don't like sweets :-/

Just had to note, it's wayyyyyy different with full liquids. I have to go much slower and can't have much!

see, im still worried, because i can eat a whole SF pudding pack. :n ( IDK. I did over do it today, i feel like there is a knot in my throat..like im about to bring up what i ate..Its tricky trying to get to know your new stomach. I just hope im not stretching out my little stomach.

I have been having the same worries, "Newbie". I am 11 days out and still on liquids - but have never really felt any discomfort or the "I couldn't take another sip if I wanted to" feeling. I was really beginning to think that I had already stretched mine out, too. Glad to hear that I am not the only one with that fear - and that we will feel the restriction more as time goes on. Best of luck!

A SF pudding is basically a slider for me, too. I can eat a whole one quite easily. Once you're working on denser Proteins, you'll feel the fullness. A chicken breast is a couple of meals for me and Breakfast, even now, usually is a single fried egg and one sausage patty. I made bacon the other morning and a couple of slices were all I could eat. You will feel the fullness from regular foods once you start eating again. :)

Guys, try thinking of your stomach's capacity in a new way. Instead of looking to feel "full," test every few bites to see if you're still hungry. There's a huge difference. Eat until you're not hungry any more, not until you're feeling full. I think a lot of overeating occurs from the "I want to feel full" mindset, even when someone isn't truly physically hungry--food is an easy substitute for other emotionally-driven things, and it's super easy to overeat--we feel "finished" or "done" (or "complete"?) when we feel that full tummy.

I don't know when exactly it occurred to me in this process to think about eating until I was not hungry as opposed to when I was full, but it made a big difference in my eating habits. I know some of you are just on liquids now, but it's something to keep in mind.

Best wishes as you continue your losing journey!!!!

Do not worry about drinking that much broth.....the calories are low and the liquid goes through the new sleeve much faster than pureed food or more solids. If you could eat 8 oz of solids I would be worried but broth.....not a problem. glad you are able to get so much Fluid in as it is important.