Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Lose My Hair?

I wasn't even worried about hair loss when I had my surgery, my hair has always been one of my better features, and it just never dawned on me that I might lose a LOT of it. But somewhere between months 3 and 4 post-op, I noticed that it was noticeably thinning. I mean, you could actually see Patches of my scalp. There was hair in the drain after I showered, hair on my pillow in the morning, hair in the sink after I washed my face and brushed my teeth, hair everywhere, EXCEPT my head! I spent hours in front of the mirrow trying to arrange it to cover the bald spots before I would go to work. (I now have LOTS more sympathy for men who do a "comb over"!) Finally I thought "nuts, I am going to get a wig". And that is just what I did. I had SO many compliments on how nice my "hair" looked from co-workers. I would always say "thanks, it's a wig". Finally one of my co-workers said to me "Don't say it's a wig, just say 'thanks!' when someone compliments you on your hair!" So that's what I do now, I just say "thanks, I like the way it looks too." I now own five wigs, each one cost around $100.00. Have bought them slowly, each is a similar color, if not exactly the same as the previous one, and similar styles, just a little different from the others. I don't think anyone realizes they are wigs unless I say something.

I finally got Brave, and shaved the remaining hair off my head. I kept worrying about strands of my own hair escaping out from under the wig, so one day, I just shaved it off. My own hair is now about a 1/2 inch long, but it is to short for me to tell how thick it is coming in. But I don't care! I would rather be bald and thin than Fat and Hairy!!!

I haven't started losing any hair yet, and I really hope I don't. I love my hair. I actually read this yesterday and didn't reply. Then, last night I had a nightmare that I had bald spots forming on my head and my hair was falling out. I am obviously completely stressed out about this. lol