Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Been Sleeved In Jacksonville, Fl?

My research showed Memorial Hospital with Dr. Cywes, Dr. Paul Chappano and Dr. Uchal (Reviosonal Bariatric Surgeon) both at St. Vincent's Hospital in Jacksonville, Fl.

Both hospitals have been awarded the "Certificate of Excelence".

Has anyone had surgery here in Fl. besides Ocala?

Thanks for any advice..:)

I had my surgery in Sebastian with Dr Patrick Domkowski. I think he hung the sun, the moon and the stars!!! He does do revision surgeries. We actually talked about it at my last appt as a curiousity point for me.

My friend is an ER nurse at the Sebastian River Medical Center where Dr D does his surgeries and she gave him glowing reviews before I ever met him. I did talk to other docs, but Dr D made me feel the most secure about the surgery.

I have had no problems since/because of my surgery. He doesn't have the Center of Excellence distinction because they weren't doing the required volume. That is changing by summer of 2012, though.

He's doing an online seminar tomorrow night if you're interested. http://www.riversidesurgicalweightloss.com/ is the link, I think.

Yes! I did! I had surgery with Dr. Pinnar, who works with Dr. Cywes, out of Memorial. Memorial is also a center of excellence. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I also know a few other people who had the surgery in Jacksonville.

FYI: Dr. Cywes is the only surgeon of excellence among the 3. Another possible option is my surgeon. See his information on my signature. I know he takes tough cases, not sure about revisions. Might be worth a call. Best wishes!

Thanks everybody!! The names suggested are the surgeons that had come up in the top 10.

I typed in "Top Doc's in Jacksonville"

Oh, Dr. Pinnar was also mentioned along with Dr. Cywes...Sorry I forgot to mention him.

Dr. Merema is affiliated with Flagler Hospital right?

My head is in a Whirl Spin right now....

Thanks Ladies...:)

I would suggest going to some seminars. I know Dr. Cywes and Dr. Pinnar host at least one a week at memorial, not sure about the others. You may already know the info they are presenting but it would give you a chance to feel out their personalities and figure which one you fit best with.

I was sleeved by Dr. Webb at St. Lukes Hospital. I can highly recommend Dr. Webb. Nothing but glowing reviews for the work he did and the the experience has been nothing short of excellent.

Also, most of the staff that used to work for Novus in Jacksonville now work for Memorial, and I wouldn't hate to recommend them as well.

Yes, Dr. Marema is at Flagler Hospital in St. Augustine. Flagler Hospital is a hospital of Excellence.

In my opinion, the key for you is finding a surgeon that has tons of experience with revisions, so if I was you I would go to a few seminars, as previously suggested. At the end of the seminar you will probably be able to approach these surgeons and ask them questions specifically about your case. If not, give them a call before even going to the first appointment. That is what I would do anyway. smile.png

Oh, one more thing. Call before you go to the seminars and make sure the doctor that will be present is the one you want to meet. (I made that mistake once. lol). Good luck and don't get nervous. It is awesome that you will probably have a few to pick from!

Does Memorial Hospital have a Seperate recovery floor/unit specific for Bariatric patients after surgery?

Do the surgeons do surgeries there on site?

I know in St. Vincent's bariatric patients are sent to the ICU to keep a close eye on the patient.

St Lukes Did Not (after my LapBand) and I had a horrible experience there...

When I got up out of bed to sit/sat in the recliner and fell backward, is when the after care nurse said

"Oh wait. I forgot that chair is broken". Are you kidding me?

I was screaming and crying in such pain...I had to ask for a different nurse.

Seriously, I'm afraid to go back there....

It was truly a traumatic experience that I will Never forget.

I just had my surgery on Monday at Memorial Hospital. Dr. Webb is my doc. He is very good. My family like him also. My husband said that it seems that he really likes what he does. He had a big smile on his face when he came out to speak to them.

Recovery was not separate for bariatric patients. I was actually fine in there. I was using my pain med pump and people watching. I had one guy two beds down that sounded like Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade. I had to laugh.

I was doing great until later in the night when my pain meds started making me VERY sick. I stopped using it. After that my husband stayed with me all night (poor thing was so uncomfortable) It made it much easier for me to get up and go to the bathroom and get ice, etc. They got me on meds I could tolerate and that made it better too.

I would feel horrible one minute then passable the next. Go Figure. I was happy to get out of the hospital.I have to give them high marks though. Very nice private room and attentive staff. No complaints here.

I didn't realized my husband had become a member here and I posted this under his name!!!!! I am Mamacujo.

Dr.Uchal performed my surgery at svmc he is awesome in my opinion very accessible just go and get a few consults and pick based upon how the provider makes you feel as a patient

Mesa, did your Insurance cover the surgery?

Did it pay for phsych and nutrition visits pre and post-op?

What about all post-op visits?

Were you transfered to ICU immediately after your suergery to keep a close watch fo complications?

That's what their website states. Just wondering.

I was interested in Dr. Uchal because he does do revisionals as I think Cywes does as well.

I guess I have to start calling my ins companies and get to some seminars.

Thanks!! wink.png