Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Soon Did You Start Working Out After Gastric Sleeve Surgery, Other Questions

Once my drain was removed a week post surgery, I started walking on the treadmill for 30min at a 2.0 incline and between 3.0-3.5 speed. I have gradually increased that over the last 4 weeks where now I am using the treadmill for an hour at a 2.5-3.0 incline and 3.0-3.8 speed. My surgeon said to wait until 6 weeks before starting any type of light weights. So in a few weeks I plan to switch things up a bit by adding weight training and using the eliptical for part of my cardio. I usually manage to work out 5 times a week. I feel really fortunate that my recovery from surgery went so smoothly that I felt ready to start exercise fairly soon.

I started the treadmill too at 30 minutes at 2.5 mph and have gradually gone up to 3.5 mph. My doctor told me to stay at 30 minutes until 8 weeks which will be in two weeks. Also about the Water thing, I found when I took too big of gulps that I burped big time! I am wanting to find a water aerobics class too!

I am interested in doing Water aeribics? Do you find it beneficial?

3 weeks to the day I started doing Water aerobics.

I am interested in doing water aerobics. Do you find it beneficial?

I started walking during week two, and am now doing one mile twice per day (two miles total per day). I am now almost 4 weeks out, and joined a gym today. I start with a personal trainer Monday after work, and will lift twice per week, and do HIIT cardio twice per week (different days) from here on out to see how far that gets me. Later, I intend to give bicycling a try (need to lose a little more weight before I climb onto a bike in public! :smile1:.

Short answer, 2 weeks to start walking a real distance, and my doctor said 3-4 weeks to start a serious workout (lifting, crossfit, that sort of thing).

Good luck on your path!

I was wondering the same thing, tomorrow I'll be three weeks out and I'm content with walking until I'm tired. In March I'll be going back to the gym and do cardio and weight training.

I started walking every day immediately. I haven't done anything other than walk yet. At the 6 week mark I'll start circuit training.

I started swimming a couple miles a day around two weeks out and was walking about three miles a day from a couple days out. But I worked out before surgery too.

well, as a follow up, I started walking, and can walk a mile and a half with ease, and I also started weightlifting last week (week 4 I think). I'm doing the starting strength program. I am really sore today, and am loving every minute of it!