Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Straws After Gastric Sleeve Surgery...

Good to know. I have really missed my straws since surgery. I know I will get more fluids down if I can use a straw. Tomorrow I'll give it a try.

well im 3 months out and qualify for the sleeve of steel tag, but right after i didnt use one for 3 week...i use them everyday now with no issues.

I am SO happy to read this!! I always used a straw pre-op and was really disapointed when I heard that we couldn't use them post-op. I know that I will drink more using one and I cant wait to break them out again!!

I always used one post-op, was never against any of my rules anyhow. Now I'm addicted to those Evian bottles with the sport top thingy where you have like a little round spout you drink out of. Use those all day every day.

Funny thing is, I was told no straw by my surgon and both RD's before surgery. After surgery I was reminded by the nursing staff about no straws and no more than 2-4oz, for the first week.

So what was the very first thing they MADE me do on day two? They made me drink that disgusting dye for a leak check, by straw, and it was about 8oz to complete the test.

Tomorrow will make 4 weeks for me POST OP for me and I accidently drank from a straw two days ago because i'm so use to drinking with one and all i can say is you experience the same burps and gurgles as you without one.

Everyone is different just be careful and you wont know until you try it lol.

Good Luck!

A straw poll.. nice!

My surgeon hasn't mentioned it and I plan to buy small ones because I am a gulper and need help drinking small sips.

everything they brought me in the hospital came with a straw. I always used a straw before surgery, and I still use one now. The waitresses at all the local restaurants have gotten to know me so come in, they say "Water with no ice and a straw?" I drink way more liquids if I use a straw.

I never use one when I drink my Protein drink in the morning though. I put a lot of crushed ice in and blend it up, so I am not sure if it would even go through a straw. It makes it really thick.

I was told this evening that I could use a straw after two weeks...Not because of any complication/issues, but they want me to get used to sipping first and not drinking too fast w/ my new tummy!!!

My Dr says it is because the air will fill you aup, and you can stretch out your new tummy. I was planning on using them anyways!spy.gif

I am so glad to hear people say they use a straw. I've been avoiding it because I was told not to use it, but I have concentrated so much on sipping that I end up holding the liquid in my mouth for a few seconds before remembering to swallow -- which doesn't feel good! I think the straw will help me drink more.

I never knew I was so bad about gulping until this surgery, and I had to start using a straw so I could figure out how to sip. No issues from it yet!

Using a straw is a personal choice. I was never told not to use a straw, and like I said, all my liquids while I was in the hospital 3 days, came with a straw.

They say not to use one because it can cause you to trap gas but I've had no trouble and I can't drink without one.

my doctor had also mention to stay away from straws due to more air, but I was reading all these comments and I said Hey let me give it a try. I'm probably going to use straws for everything now!! It's so much easier to drink. thanks everyone!!

2 weeks post op ????????