Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's With My Attitude?

I'm 12 days post op and I've been told by my family and I'm noticing it too, that I am being a witch. I don't feel bad, am walking, shopping, getting all my Protein and Water but I do agree that I am bossing everyone around like their all stupid or something. I do have a very high caliber stressful job but I have enjoyed spending some time at home. I am a very laid back person at home so it is quite surprising to my family that I am barking orders and arguing with them, so unlike my personality. Did anyone else experience this?

I'm not post-op yet, but my family noticed my witchy-ness as well, but mine has been attributed to me just not being happy with myself, so i was taking it out on everyone else. What seems to be helping me a lot is i began taking 5,000 IU of Vitamin D (they are instant dissolve tablets), which is something i was very low on according to my pre-op testing, and apparently Vitamin D is a significant mood booster. Like i said im still pre-op, so maybe someone post-op will have some better advise, but its worth a try!

I didn't experience that, but there are tons of emotional issues, especially right after major surgery. You just broke up with your best friend, food. You are learning a whole new way to relate to food and you're learning how to deal with emotions with something other than food.

It's pretty natural that you would be a little on edge. Not to mention that you are probably not used to being home with everyone SO MUCH of the time.

Things should calm down once you go back to work. If they don't, then it may be time to have at least a one-time visit with a therapist who works with bariatric patients, or with the psyche doc who did your pre-op. From your post, it doesn't sound like you have a major problem, just some adjustment stuff going on.

Don't be afraid to make it more than one visit if you think it's necessary, though. I have said before, and probably will say again, I'm visiting with a therapist while working through my issues with food. I definitely think it's been wonderful for me. :)

Good luck with your journey!! :)

I am 9 days post-op and can feel tension rising the past 2 days. I have enjoyed being at home and having some flexible time. My job is extremely stressful so having surgery was a break from being all things to all people - or at least this is how I was feeling before surgery. I find myself dreading (and resenting) the return to work on Thursday, the same way I do most Sundays before the start of the work week on Mondays.

Going through the process of being sleeved has given me an opportunity to reassess the journey that led to where I am at now. For me, I will work to make changes that allow me to have more of myself. This may mean trading in a high paying job for one that is less stressful.

I'm not sure if this resonates with you at all, but it seems that stressful jobs is something we have in common.

I definitely had that period of "witchy-ness" It seemed that I didn't want anyone to tell me anything!! As you come into your own and realize that you are more than just your weight issues, it seems to take a toll on your emotions. Anyone who is in your line of fire needs to learn to duck. You are learning to deal with life with out the drug of food and I think that makes us angry on a subconscious level. I just tried to roll with it and did alot of apologizing for my uncontrolled emotions to my hubby for a while. Fortunately he was very understanding and just backed off! As time has passed and I feel more confident with my self, I have had fewer and fewer witchy moments. Exercise seems to help for me as well.

Hang in there. This is a great trip but can be a bumpy ride along the way!

Living the dream,

Laura

Whether you realize it at a conscious level, or not, your world just tilted. I would venture to guess that you're struggling to feel in control of the situation. When we feel out of control, we generally aren't very nice. I am a bit of a "control freak" and work in a high pressure, high stress job. I struggled after surgery with my emotions because I felt unable to control my life (which I find completely ironic since my eating had been what was really out of control). I became bossy and difficult until Hubs had a "come to Jesus" meeting with me. Know that you are not odd or alone. Work to face and deal with your emotions and this will get better with time. :)

Amanda

I remember feeling like that too. I was about 12 days postop as well. (I'm almost 4 wks postop now) I noticed it first and didn't say anything to my hubby. Then I noticed I also could get my feelings hurt much easier than before too. After that realization I opened up to my husband and he agreed that he had noticed I was more sensative. He hadn't noticed the snotty attitude that would crop up at the end of the day. We talked about it and came to the conclusion that it's likely a "food withdrawl", possible a blood sugar change and that it will pass. I apologized and have tried hard to be aware of it since. I believe the snotty attitude is in check but I still have episodes of ultra-sensativity. For me, it is because I would use food to "deal" with emotions and now I can't. I actually have to face them. I want to say I also have a high stress job and it makes me wonder about the correlation between us "high performance women" and obesity/overeating. I'm holding the hopes that this emotional stuff will pass as I continue to face my issues with my therapist. I love this forum! Thank you for being here everyone! Big hugs.

Well from a male perspective, I haven't had those problems but then again I am bipolar to begin with so nobody may have noticed anyway. At least I haven't been any more off than usual.

Someone posted that as women lose weight they release a lot of estrogen as it is trapped in fat cells. As the fat cells are shed they release estrogen into your blood stream, leading you to feel emotional, moody etc. similar to pregnancy hormones. I can personally attest to the fact that I have been more emotional, sensitive and have a much shorter fuse than usual. Since my hubby pointed it out I have been trying to be more conscious of it. I also have a very high stress job and between having surgery on 9/6 and my brother passing on 10/1; my priorities have really shifted. Family and self first.