Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

a comfy chair for post op recovery??

We have a sofa with the recliners on the ends.

It is getting old and the seat sags a bit - combined with my weight and i can have a hard time getting the leg rest part of the recliner down and getting my butt out of the seat! I am thinking post op this is going to be very uncomfortable!

I don't have much extra cash but was thinking of buying a recliner off craigslist even if I resell it after losing some weight. Any suggestions on what was comfortable for you post op?

i had my band removed in Sept and was quite surprised how sore I was the first couple of weeks - especially the port area. They removed alot of adhesions and scar tissue too. I was a bit uncomfortable gettint out of my current sofa/recliner

When they do the sleeve, there is a hernia repair involved too, so I am expecting to be even more sore this time.

I never had a special chair or anything, but I think a recliner is a great idea! I mostly stayed in bed for the first week, with the exception of walking around, etc. I had pillows propped up all around me so I wouldn't roll onto my stomach. A body pillow is a good investment..... you can buy them cheap from Walmart ;)

I liked the couch. I just made the boyfriend set up the pillows so I could recline a little and that worked just fine for me.

I also had a hiatal hernia repaired during VSG. I spent a lot of time in Hubs' lazy boy post op- about a week. However, a large part of my discomfort came from an impinged rotator cuff that I managed to anger the day before surgery. Believe it or not, my rotator cuff hurt way more than any part of the VSG surgery. :) I believe I would have been fine on the sofa or in bed had it not been for the crazy pain in my rotator cuff/shoulder area that wouldn't let me get comfortable.

Amanda

I was okay on the bed or my regular couch, but my bed is higher than most because it's a pillow top and I did NOT have a hernia repaired. I actually preferred to sit in the outdoor chairs from my patio set because they were a bit higher and have arms.

It might be a smart move for you to look for a recliner. There are some that will actually help lift you up to a standing position, which might be nice. That might not be easy to find on CL, but may be available for rental through a medical supply store. The lift chair might be overkill for some, but it sounds like you've had a couple of recent abdominal surgeries with a good bit of pain and could use the help. I would look into the chair rental first. It might be less to rent it for a month than you'd pay for a recliner on CL.

That said, my tummy area wasn't where the worst of my pain was at. My legs actually hurt more after surgery because I was trying not to use my stomach muscles to get up and down. That pain only lasted a couple of days, though.

Good luck with your journey!! :)

i have been using a recliner for the past 2 nights....going to try my bed tonight. I find it ok laying down but have a really hard time getting out of bed...actually I cant do it and I need help...so the chair has been better. But I am only 4 days post op. Im sure it will get easier in time.