Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems before 1st Fill??????????

Hi Everyone,

My question is has anyone had any pbing or sliming or vomiting before having a first fill?

I am just a couple weeks post op and have a fear about eating again because a couple of nights ago all of the sudden I felt totally nauseated, almost fainted, almost threw up, and gagged once. And the only thing I could come up with was too much lemonade (I am still on liquids) or too much acid in my stomach (earlier in the evening I had Tomato soup) or maybe it was just the flu?

Regardless, I would really like to know if people have experienced any "over-doing-it" moments prior to their first fill and with what foods?

Thanks so much gang!

I cannot remember about before my 1st fill but I can tell you that I pb'ed and slimmed when I had no fill just recently. I had some restriction when my fill was removed. Not as much as with a fill but I did have some. You have to remember that the stomach is still restricted, even without a fill.

My first and second PB happened before my 1st fill.

#1 - a bite of a cinnamon roll

#2 - a bite of an open-faced turkey sandwich

Mind you, the two happened within a matter of a few days. I learned my lesson about white breads very quickly. I haven't touched it since.

Thanks for the responses...I am trying really hard to follow the rules. I just started mushies yesterday and when I am so close to real food again I really don't want to push the envelope on what I choose to put in my mouth, pbing is definitely an experience I don't want to have, if at all possible!

citrus can also be very upsetting to the stomach lining, and can possibly be too much for your fragile stomach right now. I have drank fluids too fast and felt like throwing up. Could be that you drank too much too quick. Remember that drinking must be done as slowly as eating, and that you need to watch for signals of your pouch being full.

You might want to avoid any acidic foods for the time being. You don't want to cause any extra movement or ... activity until your first fill.

Oh, and I got stuck on Water once. Took too big a gulp.

I almost did that last night. Just wasn't thinking, was really thirsty, and took a big ole swig. I had a pain in my chest for a few minutes, then it finally went away.

Wow, as a newcomer, and furture bander (8/14) What are some things that are EASY to go down?

Cathy

Ok.... I'm a newbie here. I was banded on June 20th of this year. So far, including the little bit I lost before surgery, I've lost about 35 pounds. Anyway, I'm guessing I'll have my first fill sometime in August. I've learned my lesson too about bread. I tried having a toasted turkey and swiss sandwich the other night. Even though the bread was whole grain wheat, it still didn't go down very well. I didn vomit, but came close and it wasn't comfortable. I'll be starting on more normal foods this week and will have to remind myself to eat slow and take very small bites. I'm pretty sure I know what the sliming is (one of those not so pretty memories from the hospital) but what is pbing? Also, I just did the "ticker" thing to show my progress, but need to update the weight loss..... how do I update it? Sorry, I'm not exactly the most techno smart person! :omg:

Barb

I was banded in January 2006. I threw up after the first five days. All that came up was Water (I was on liquids) and a loud roar (assuming trapped air/gas). It made me feel SO much better!

Prior to my first fill, I used to get lots of pain in my shoulder. I had to learn that the pain came when I was either hungry or ate too much. I have a much better handle now on just what and how much I should eat. and I rarely get shoulder pain anymore.

But learning is a continuous process. Just yesterday, I made a Peanut Butter and jelly sandwich - toasted weight watchers weight bread, fake (soy) Peanut Butter (less fat), welch's grape jelly. Usually toast is ok for me, but about half way through I was SO sick, in pain etc. (not sure if I was eatting too fast, too big bites or what). I stopped eatting, even tried milk to make it go down. I ended up making myself vomit in order to feel better. What came up was alot of slime, followed by a grey mixture (sorry for the description). I stuck to liquids the rest of the day and I am a little afraid today to eat.

My experience so far since being banded on July 18 amounts to not much of anything, except some port pain and knee pain (completely unrelated). I can take my pills; drink any amount of anything; and I have absolutely no restriction. I have heard on here that some dr's. put in some fill at the time of surgery and perhaps that is the difference. I have a 10 cc Vanguard band with absolutely no fill, yet I've read on here about people having some fill put in at surgery. I guess this is simply dr. descretion. I feel like I don't even have a band except for the port pain which is getting better by the day. Last night it allowed me to sleep on my side. I'm still taking liquid Lortab, but mostly for the knee pain and will soon be going to just Tylenol. My recovery has been completely uneventful and although not hungry I have to admit I cheated one time with some refried Beans and nachos. I had nothing happen to me because of it, but I do know it was wrong and I won't do it again. I wish I had some indication the band was there, because I can chug Water down and also grape juice (which came highly recommended). I mix some Crystal Light with my Water as I'm no water lover, but I don't have any worthwhile experiences to share...not even a gas pain. Is God good to me or what???? I guess he knows I'm in endless pain with my knees and is going easy on me with the band.

For those having problems make sure you get all your water and Protein (especially protein). I still drink my Protein every day.

I am still a PB virgin, but I bet after my first fill I will relate to what you are all talking about. ;)

Best of luck to you. You've done a wonderful thing for yourself.