Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes - issues with lactose?

Hello all

I am scheduled for surgery on Nov. 16, and I start my 2 week, full liquid, pre-op diet on the 2nd. Over the weekend I bought supplies (broth, SF Jello, SF popsicles, etc) and a few samples of Protein Powder to try them out. I bought the Syntrax Nectar chocolate Truffle and a few sample packs of Jay Robb. I've tried each now (I am trying to perfect my shake making technique BEFORE the pre-op diet) and while they go down fine, I'm noticing some...shall we say...digestive challenges. And by challenges I mean cramps in my tummy and some loose stool issues (sorry, TMI). I suspect I have some lactose intolerance, so I switched to unsweetened almond milk and still had the issues. Could it be the Protein powder? If so, I'm screwed! Does anyone have any advice on protein powder for lactose intolerant folks?

Also - switching gears, my Dr.'s pre-op diet is a little light on details. He says "any food that is liquid or semi liquid and is low is sugar or sugar free and low fat" OK....so do you think yogurt is ok? Greek yogurt that is. I put it in the shake to up the protein content.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

There are ALOT of us that the shakes just don't work. They make me gag. I bought alot of expensive ones and can only drink 1-2 sips before I feel like they are going to come back up. That being said....Unjury chicken broth is my go to if I have not gotten enough Protein in for the day. You can only order it online.

Greek yogurt would be a good suggestion.

And to tell you the truth.....loosing ANY weight loss will get extra fat off your liver (even if it is not from a liquid source) My doc did not require a liquid diet....just a high Protein One for weightloss.

I do think if you are already on liquids you know how to eat after the surgery since you are on liquids then too.

Hi Hibblesmom!

Oh, yes, I have had experience with lactose intollerance. Didn't have it before surgery -- never had it in my life -- but after surgery (2 weeks ago today -- I had diarrhea every day. So Hello Lactose Intollerance. I changed to Silk Soymilk (vanilla flavored) or Whole Foods Lite Soymilk or Lactaide for the milk part of the Protein shake and whey Protein ISOLATE (purchased at Whole Foods) for the protein powder. That particular whey Protein Isolate is 99.9% Lactose Free. The key word is "Isolate". Unfortunately it is more expensive that Whey Protein by itself, but I needed to buy it. Also, I had to give up Greek yogurt and go to Soy yogurt, which I don't really care for, except the Silk Brand. Remember that most yogurt is made out of milk products and has lactose. By using the lactose free products, I seem to have stopped the diarrhea which is a good thing. The Lactaid "milk" isn't bad. I haven't tried the lactose "pills" you can take before you drink products with lactose in thiem, but I think I will buy some today.

Our guidelines here in Boston at Mass General Hospital is less than 25g sugar per serving, and no more than 25g protein per serving. But I have learned from this forum that each hospital and program are different. As for the "Clear Liquids" we can use Water. Propel Vitamin Water, fruit 2O, V8 juice, bouillion.

Good luck!

Phyllis, aka Hopeful Spirit

I'm trying to lose some weight before my surgery so I decided to do Protein shakes for Breakfast. The first time I tried it I got SO SICK, stomach cramps and I was in the bathroom for hours after drinking it. I got some Lactaid pills http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=lactaid&x=0&y=0 and take one with my shake and I'm fine. I guess this means I'm lactose intolerant but right now I don't have problems with cheeses or yogurt, and hopefully that doesn't change after I get my surgery!

BTW TOTALLY JEALOUS of all you people being sleeved this month! I was supposed to have mine done this month and then they pushed it till January.... It totally sucks!

Syntrax also makes a Protein powder called Twisted cherry that tastes like kool-aid to me, and it's mixed with Water. There are several other flavors in there too, and you can order sample sizes online to see if you like it.

Thanks for all the good suggestions! I've done a lot better using unsweetened almond milk over the last couple of days. Definitely staying away from the milk though.

2 days into the full liquid diet. I haven't cheated, but am floundering on how many calories, carbs, etc I should be shooting for. My surgeon's plan doesn't specify, just says to eat full liquids that are low fat and high Protein. I am just trying to stick to around 1000 calories and under 80 carbs. I'm tracking EVERYTHING (including my vitamins) on myfitnesspal.com. I don't know if I am going to lose any weight before surgery though. You would think that with so little calories, it would be inevitable, but I am just full of doubts. Well, if I could have done this successfully in the past, I would be gearing up for VSG now, would I?

Anyway, thanks again for all of your advice :biggrin5:

I'm glad it's going easier for you. There are a number of lactose-free shakes out there to try if you continue to have issues or if they worsen post op. Some folks have their minor intolerance worsen considerably after surgery (me!) so it's definitely do-able. Yogurt should be okay as far as meeting your nutritional guidelines, but for some folks (me!) it's just as bad as milk. It depends on how bad your intolerance is so if you notice an issue lay off the yogurt and see what happens.

At first, my only issue was milk. Over three months post op it developed into full blown intolerance of anything but hard cheeses. So watch it and pay attention to your body if you experience pain or discomfort in the months after surgery.

I'd also check into artificial sweeteners as a large increase in your diet can cause the same discomfort. I have this issue, too, because prior to surgery I mostly avoided artificial sweetener and went for the real deal. My body just can't tolerate all that fake stuff and I get sick when I have too much - even drinking too much Crystal Light can give me trouble. Yuck. Anyway, I have to buy a Protein shake with natural sweetener and no lactose, but it definitely can be done!

Best of luck to you, and keep up the good work with tracking your food. You're building one of the most important habits you can have post op, so don't worry too much if you don't lose weight before surgery. Focus on how much it's going to help you in the future. Most of the time when I stall it's due to a failure on my part to accurately track what I'm putting in my mouth. Stay accountable and you'll definitely succeed.

~Cheri