Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh my how things have changed

I want to start by saying I’m writing this just one day short of 2 weeks post op (and this is how I’m feeling right now).

In the past, I would consider myself an overachiever when it comes to losing weight. I’m an expert. Give me a plan and I will follow it and lose weight. My down fall has always been KEEPING it off. I lose and then I gain it all back and then some.

The point between losing and gaining has usually been triggered by frustration. I’m tired of counting points or tracking calories or carbs or meals or shakes or pills or whatever the diet of the minute is. When I get frustrated my thought process was, “oh the heck with it” and I’d go eat whatever I wanted … and the gaining begins.

I’ve read several posts where people ask if the way we eat after VSG is “just another diet”. I’d have to say no because in some ways it’s similar but for me the “frustration point” leads to a very different outcome. I’ll explain.

The other day I was in the myfitnesspal site logging my food/water and trying to figure out how I can get all my Protein in without drinking Protein Shakes. I’d prefer not to drink them but in order to get 70 or more grams of protein in I’d have to eat a lot of food and on mushies, with my tiny tummy and ZERO hunger, that’s a challenge. Then I hit a familiar stage … I though “oh the heck with it” followed by something new … “I just won’t eat, it’s easier that way”.

WHAT????????????

If you want to know if post VSG is anything like a diet the answer is NO … in the most important way. I have ZERO hunger which means ZERO desire to eat things that I shouldn’t. My focus is getting my protein in because I know I feel better when I get a lot of protein in my system. I feel better when I have all my Water, all my Vitamins and all my protein.

Of course I want to lose weight, I wouldn’t have had this surgery if I didn’t but my daily goals now are to do what I need to do to feel as great as I can and for me that means water, protein, vitamins and walking.

Maybe this is the difference between a diet and a lifestyle change? If so, how totally awesome is that!

Happy Monday my friends!

Oh I hear ya! It appears my fiance's late night crusades to Taco Bell or Wendy's frustrated me to the point where I just say the heck with it and don't eat ANYTHING! Which is a good thing because I should neither be eating fast food nor eating late night. Before my sleeve, anything goes!

Hi,

It truly is a lifestyle change. I NEVER consider myself on a diet. I had the sleeve 3 years ago and for the very first time in my life I have maintained my weight loss. You will find it a lot easier to deal with all of this after you have had the surgery. Stop over thinking everything--you remind me of myself. I went back and forth with these very same kind of thought. You are just going to have to trust a complete stranger on this.

Take care and if you have any questions ask away.

Suzanne

Hi Lisa,

This is a great thing to hear!. My surgery is tomorrow and I was one of those who had to go on a three-month lean Protein, low carb diet before approval. I experienced something similar to what you're describing, though perhaps not as strong. When I would get hungry and think about my choices, they weren't always appealing so I sometimes just chose not to eat at all. What a concept! It made me realize how much of my hunger was "head hunger" and cravings. I also discovered how much longer I went without feeling hungry after eating Protein rather than, say, a pastry.

Thanks for your insight and best wishes to you,

Bonnie

It's like you're in my head. So many times I have thought "oh forget it, I just won't eat." I am one month out and have been both frustrated and turned off by food. I thought I was doing a great job getting in all of my Protein and liquids but I haven't been. Proteins yes, Water and other fluids...not so much. Like you I don't get that hungry but I know that I have to eat. I am so determined to work this wonderful gift!! You said it, Protein, Water, Vitamins and exercise. We can do this.

Here's to a lifestle change,

Niki

Hi Lisa,

This is a great thing to hear!. My surgery is tomorrow and I was one of those who had to go on a three-month lean Protein, low carb diet before approval. I experienced something similar to what you're describing, though perhaps not as strong. When I would get hungry and think about my choices, they weren't always appealing so I sometimes just chose not to eat at all. What a concept! It made me realize how much of my hunger was "head hunger" and cravings. I also discovered how much longer I went without feeling hungry after eating Protein rather than, say, a pastry.

Thanks for your insight and best wishes to you,

Bonnie

You are so correct. I have learned to ask myself. Do I want to eat or do I really NEED to eat???? It is the old thing of "head hunger." Most of the time it was that I wanted to eat something. So I would wait a little while and find out that I didn't eat it. I also try to have healthy Snacks around so if I am in the mode of "grazing" it is healthy things that I am eating.

Hugs,

Suzanne