Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for ANY Molina Band Revisions to Sleeve!!

This is a shot in the dark but I really need to find information so here goes....

First off.. HI EVERYONE!! :rolleyes:

In 1995 I had the "molina band" WLS (I believe Dr. Oria still uses this band to date but was in training when I had mine put on). (Here is the website for it.. http://www.thewatson...machbanding.htm) I weighed in at 285 and got down to around 160-70 in about a year or two. I have yo-yo'd with my weight for the last 13 years and am now sitting at 210 and feel like I am gaining daily. I have lived with this band and all that goes with it for 16 years. It is time for a change!!!

I am looking for ANYONE that has or knows someone that had this band and now has a sleeve. I cannot find any information on any of the websites I have googled and from what some of the doctors are telling me, the sleeve is not the best option for "molina band" revisions, the RNY is. I dont want the RNY, period. Dumping? No freaking way! I have "dumped", thrown up, gotten sick or whatever you want to call it for the last 16 years and i am DONE with that!!!:angry:

I had an EGD last Friday and the band hasnt eroded into my stomach. THANK GOD FOR THAT!! My doc says that he will remove the band but he is sure I will have scar tissue to get around and he might have to leave part of the band in. :blink: Since insurance will not pay for a revision (exclusion on policy for ONE WLS per LIFETIME, awesome!) I am going to be heading to MX using my FSA funds to have Dr. Kelly complete the sleeve. Right now I am debating having the band removed here in the USA under my insurance and then heading to MX in January or just having Dr. Kelly do it all in January. I am setting up a phone call with him for next week too.

This is why I am so desperate for information from anyone with experience with this damn band! Sorry! I just keep thinking to myself.. how much more different could the removal of my band be compared to the stories I am reading about the lapband removals?

Thank you all in advance for your input. I have soooo enjoyed reading and learning from each of you and seeing your transformation is soooo inspiring!

Your post fascinated me as i had never heard of the Molina band. I did a quick search, and the most informative piece of info I found was a thread on OH. I don't know if we are allowed to post a link to OH, but i will try. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/failed_wls_second_time_around/4090872/Information-about-the-Molina-Gastric-band/

Just reading this post explains why a revision to a sleeve presents quite a risk. It sounds like you need to find a Doc really experienced with this as it is quite different then the lapband. I sure hope you find someone great!

The sleeve should not be an option after the Molina band. I have a friend that may live the rest of her life with a feeding tube because she had the sleeve done after the Molina band.

I am hoping since the original post was 2011 your revision has been performed but it took me many years to find a doctor to help me out. I had the Molina band in 2003 by Dr. Molina. In 2006 I began having complications but at the time I wasn't aware it was band related. I would be woke up out of a dead sleep coughing and chocking on stomach acids. I just thought I had reflux. Now i know it was that I was forming an obstruction due to scar tissue from the band. I had severe chronic reflux and vomitting from the food not passing thru. I tried for several years to find a doctor to help me. Due to the high risk of this complication of the Molina band I attempted to see many doctors but they did not do Molina band revisions. I went to several others but my insurance did not have bariatric coverage but in reality I wasn't obese and the surgery was not for weight lose it was for a complication. I was almost completely obstructed when I finally remembered seeing Dr. Nowzardan from Houston on TV and I worked for a plastic surgeon previously that worked with Dr. Nowzaradan. I gave his office a call on a Friday and they got me in the next day on a Saturday and by Monday afternoon my surgery was approved and scheduled. His insurance girl was great. They knew the correct way to code it since it was not a bariatic surgery. I had a hiatal hernia repair, gastrectomy and gastrojejunostomy. So basically I had a hiatal hernia from years of throwing up so that was repaired. The gastrectomy was to cut the section out of my stomach that the band was adhered to and the gastrojejunotsomy was the gastric bypass. According to Dr. Nowzardan I was not a candidate for the sleeve gastrectomy and the only real option I had was gastric bypass surgery. Without him I do not know where I would be. Malnutrition for sure. I am going on 5 years since my bypass and it has been great. My weight stays within 138 to 145 over the past few years. Initially I got down to about 130 but then went up a few pounds after maybe the first two years. It's been the best thing for me. Other than dumping every so often I have no complaints. I have to take that back. I tend to be a noncompliant patient in regards to taking Vitamins so there are times I am Iron deficiant anemic but as long as I am taking my Vitamins and supplements my levels are perfect.

I hope this helps anyone that is suffering with issues from the Molina band.Angie

@@kelbug1990 I thank you so much for posting this. I hope that anyone who uses the search function for the "molina" finds your encouraging story.

I have been so scared that the sleeve is just another of those experiments, but so far so good! (I was a BioEnterics lapband to sleeve revision and have done just awesome)

i am happy for you that you have found success and RELIEF.

I used to be scared of the bypass, but now i see it way differently. There is a reason it is considered the gold standard.

@CowgirlJane Which one is the BioEnterics band? I had the old Inamed 4cc band done in 05... is the BioEnterics the model before or after that? Just curious because I haven't heard of it... and only have vague recall of the Molina band.

@@liannatx I believe bioenterics was later puchased by Innamed. I was banded in Germany around the time it was approved in USA in spring 2001. There were two main bands - the other was made by a swedish company I think.

http://research.vuse.vanderbilt.edu/srdesign/2006/group2/Research%20Paper/Lab-Band%20Information.htm

I have had the Molina band since 97 I have thrown up every time I eat since day 1

my doctor just tried to put a stint but the hole was too small ,so now even puréed food does not go down . So now I have to have it surgically removed .i have not eaten since sat and today is wed I am on liquids . I see the dr on Tues to discuss my options !!! I was almost back to the weight I started ...