Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

Ok, I have a really bad knee. So bad that I am a gimp. I limp all the time now. And I am on heavy duty pain meds for it. Also, I think I made it worse by some of the exercises I was doing. I'm stopping those exercises, but I am not stopping my exercise routine. I've found that I really enjoy it!

In the mean time, I am icing it and using heat.....as it is really flaring up this week. :(

Anyway, My hope is, once I get this weight off, that my knee will get better. And I am also hoping to stop the pain meds as well.

Anyone out there go through this? Tell me your story please!!

Yes! I have bad arthritis in both knees. So bad I was within weeks of a scheduled first knee surgery when I hurriedly decided to have my sleeve surgery instead. I cancelled my knee surgery and wanted to wait to see what happens with my weight loss. Why? Because it was that I was carrying around so much weight I ended up where I was with my knees!!! I REALLY didn't want to have to deal with only having one usable leg and being as heavy as I was. I was nearly back up to 300 Lbs!!! That probably would have been the most miserable time of my life.

Well, here I am today (literally this morning at 4AM getting ready for my workout).

gallery_0_438_10347.jpg

My knees are in really good shape and have not yet needed to reschedule my knee surgeries. The arthritis will never go away, but - I have saved hundreds of pounds of pressure on them, and likely years worth of time before really needing them. THANK YOU SLEEVE!!!! I can run a 5K without issue, I can walk, climb stairs, get on my knees and search under the bed, and all sorts of things I now take for granted!

Yes! I have bad arthritis in both knees. So bad I was within weeks of a scheduled first knee surgery when I hurriedly decided to have my sleeve surgery instead. I cancelled my knee surgery and wanted to wait to see what happens with my weight loss. Why? Because it was that I was carrying around so much weight I ended up where I was with my knees!!! I REALLY didn't want to have to deal with only having one usable leg and being as heavy as I was. I was nearly back up to 300 Lbs!!! That probably would have been the most miserable time of my life.

Well, here I am today (literally this morning at 4AM getting ready for my workout).

gallery_0_438_10347.jpg

My knees are in really good shape and have not yet needed to reschedule my knee surgeries. The arthritis will never go away, but - I have saved hundreds of pounds of pressure on them, and likely years worth of time before really needing them. THANK YOU SLEEVE!!!! I can run a 5K without issue, I can walk, climb stairs, get on my knees and search under the bed, and all sorts of things I now take for granted!

OMG!! GOOD FOR YOU!! To get down on my knee right now would kill me with pain. I can't put pressure on it like that! Anyway, I am so glad to hear that your knee issue is resolved!!

That was just one of the motivators for me to have the sleeve. I know that if I don't do something, I would be in a wheelchair soon!

So, I hope I do as well as you did!! Keep it up!!

OMG!! GOOD FOR YOU!! To get down on my knee right now would kill me with pain. I can't put pressure on it like that! Anyway, I am so glad to hear that your knee issue is resolved!!

That was just one of the motivators for me to have the sleeve. I know that if I don't do something, I would be in a wheelchair soon!

So, I hope I do as well as you did!! Keep it up!!

You WILL!!! The sleeve saved me in so many ways, and it will do the same for you. :) You're already in the right mindset with wanting to workout and following the "sleever" diet - you surely will be here too. *hugs* :D

You WILL!!! The sleeve saved me in so many ways, and it will do the same for you. :) You're already in the right mindset with wanting to workout and following the "sleever" diet - you surely will be here too. *hugs* :D

I surely hope so!! And yes, I've discovered I like exercising!! But it's been rough going this week. And today I didn't get in half of what I normally do....all cause of my knee... :(

Oh and you look fantastic!!!

I surely hope so!! And yes, I've discovered I like exercising!! But it's been rough going this week. And today I didn't get in half of what I normally do....all cause of my knee... :(

Oh and you look fantastic!!!

Awww thank you! :)

gallery_0_438_10347.jpg

Hi Diva !!

I also have arthrihis and a really bad knee. And as you decided to have my surgery to help my knee and hopefulley postpone knee surgery...

I am 60lbs less and has helped a little, still cant do stair, or look under the bed !. Question for you, how much weight did you lose before you saw that change in your knees ?. Also, my Dr has not allowed my to do exercises yet, what workout do you do?. And when were you able to start ??

Sorry for all the questons, its just the hardest part of this is my knee...not the eating, hair loss...but my knee, im 36 and use a cane...dont want to anymore.

Thank you for your story, gives me hope....

Ale.

Hi Diva !!

I also have arthrihis and a really bad knee. And as you decided to have my surgery to help my knee and hopefulley postpone knee surgery...

I am 60lbs less and has helped a little, still cant do stair, or look under the bed !. Question for you, how much weight did you lose before you saw that change in your knees ?. Also, my Dr has not allowed my to do exercises yet, what workout do you do?. And when were you able to start ??

Sorry for all the questons, its just the hardest part of this is my knee...not the eating, hair loss...but my knee, im 36 and use a cane...dont want to anymore.

Thank you for your story, gives me hope....

Ale.

Hi there! Well, I really wasn't needing a cane so I'll just tell you what I was doing but caution you to do anything besides what you Dr's suggest :) I wouldn't want you to further damage your knees of course.

I've always power walked even at 330 lbs... which I think might have added to the wear down of both my knees over time. At around 230 Lbs I believe that was when I decided to take jogging for a spin. It wasn't easy and I definitely listened to my body. If my knees didn't feel good I stopped immediately. Right now I'm 179 lbs and can jog quite easily without any knee pain at all. I'm not even using my Aleve ever unless its for my TOM... which for me is a BIG DEAL!!! I was using it almost daily before, for all my pains, especially in the knee and even my back. I never have any back pain anymore ever.

I don't remember when I was able to actually get down on my knees, but I do still get back up carefully balancing myself. I take great precautions with my knees. I really am trying to save them as best I can. I'd like to put off the knee surgeries for a decade if I can!!! :)

All the best to you!!! I really hope with the weight loss it will help eventually!

I have super bad knees (especially my left one, which is partially gone). I actually got my wls referral through my orthopedic surgeon. I had surgery on both knees prior to my sleeve. He told me I HAD to lose weight or else my knees would get worse. Last year I got to a point where I could barely walk up the stairs of my OWN HOME :(. My knees would lock up too. It was HORRIBLE.

I FINALLY felt better once I dropped to the 160's. Today I can literally run up and down the stairs of my home. I even hiked the Grand Canyon back in March. It's truly a miracle!!!

P.s. I had been on crutches, a cain, and even a wheelchair at once point or another...HORRIBLE. I thank God for my orthopedic surgeon and my sleevie.

I have super bad knees (especially my left one, which is partially gone). I actually got my wls referral through my orthopedic surgeon. I had surgery on both knees prior to my sleeve. He told me I HAD to lose weight or else my knees would get worse. Last year I got to a point where I could barely walk up the stairs of my OWN HOME :(. My knees would lock up too. It was HORRIBLE.

I FINALLY felt better once I dropped to the 160's. Today I can literally run up and down the stairs of my home. I even hiked the Grand Canyon back in March. It's truly a miracle!!!

WOW!! That is awesome!! I hope I can do the same. They told me my knee is bone on bone . :(

Right now I am on morphine for the pain. I HOPE I can get off it, after I have the surgery. If not, then at least I can get a new knee.

Wow! I have bad knees too. Both. Currently I get Suppartz shots every 3 months in my knees to cushion them, since my cartilage is bad. Thanks to my weight! I'm sure losing weight will help, my ortho agrees, and lengthen the time before I need a knee replacement. Hang in there! It can and will get better once the pressure on your knees is lifted. I've been trying to lose weight before my surgery and have lost about 15 lbs. Already my needs feel better and I have more flexibility.

elise

I had severe pain in my right knee prior to surgery and now it is feeling a lot better. I still feel a twinge sometimes when walking up hills or after a long walk but the bakers cyst I had behind the knee has not bothered me at all for a while. I am hoping that when I lose more weight I will be able to jog slowly and hike, but right now I'm taking it very carefully. I still do not climb steps - except for at home - as that is what causes the most pain, but I do feel that things are improving.

Thank goodness for this surgery...

Hello everyone,

Ok, I have a really bad knee. So bad that I am a gimp. I limp all the time now. And I am on heavy duty pain meds for it. Also, I think I made it worse by some of the exercises I was doing. I'm stopping those exercises, but I am not stopping my exercise routine. I've found that I really enjoy it!

In the mean time, I am icing it and using heat.....as it is really flaring up this week. :(

Anyway, My hope is, once I get this weight off, that my knee will get better. And I am also hoping to stop the pain meds as well.

Anyone out there go through this? Tell me your story please!!

I was supposed to have a right knee replacement 10/11.. I mentioned my potential WLS to the orthopedic dr. - he suggested "strongly" that

it would be a very good idea to have the WLS before the knee replacement. So my sleeve is 12/7, and the knee replacement is in the air

for now,I hope to lose around 50 lbs before the knee surgery.

You're not alone with your knee problems - not speaking for all, but i think since we have all that extra baggage we are carrying

around - it only make sense that our knees hurt. :( we will feel better with some weight off. best to you kathy