Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much is everyone able to eat?

Hi all,

I am 3.5 months out and seem to be able to eat a lot more than other sleevers. I am eating 6oz max per meal. BUT i probably could eat a little more sometimes if i allowed myself. I still am losing maybe 2-3 lbs a week. But just worried that i am setting myself up to fail. I am making better food choices and don't eat as much as pre-op. But im not eating a few spoonfulls and feeling full either like some other sleevers. Please let me know how much you eat. THANK YOU

I am 8 weeks out as of yesterday, and my meal plan increases from 2 oz/meal to 3 oz/meal. I had already been eating close to 3oz/meal at times prior to now, though. A typical lunch for me is half a costco chicken burger (2 oz) and either some veggies or about an ounce of cheese. 3 oz seems to be about my limit at this point (assuming I'm eating protein). I've tried to avoid most carbs and "slider" foods but I'm sure I could eat more than 3 oz of carbs/sliders.

I am 8 weeks out and I am lucky to be able to eat 1 1/2 ounces. It sucks because I can't do the Protein Drinks so trying to get my Protein from food.< /p>

I'm 2 days shy of one month post op and having a time getting my Protein, calories and fluids in.

I average about 400- 600 calories per day. Stay under 40 for carbs and am barely getting in 40 g of protein or less.

I can eat about 1 ounce of food 3 times a day but I've been trying to use some extra snack foods like cheese and yogurt that go down easier to try to up the protein count at the end of the day.

It's a real struggle for me because I'm full so easily and I'm not hungry so - I have to really remind myself to

eat, eat eat- and drink, drink drink.

I'm a little worried about the low protein content to be honest but I'm still losing on average about a pound a day.

I just hope that it's all fat and not muscle.

I am two months out and eating fairly normal, can actually eat meadium plate of food. Was on 700-900 calorie diet but dietician suggested I get up to 1,200 to slow down loss since I lost most of the weight I am supposed to lose in a year. I measure more in volume than weight. I made a lasagna the other day and had a normal spatula size portion with a small salad.

Add on is that I started working out again which is another reason dietician wanted me to increase calories to avoid the weakness/tiredness from the workouts.

I'm 16 months out - early on, (2.5 months out) I used the Protein bullets to get all my Protein in. They are only 3.5 oz, I'd sip a little in the morning, again at noon and then finish it up later in the day. Do they taste good? Well, no, but I'd hold my nose while I sipped and then rinse my mouth out - 3.5 oz is easy. I could not drink a Protein Drink. It would take me 2 - 3 hours, it'd get warm and I'd add ice. I knew it wasn't going to work, plus I hated the taste, no matter what I did to it!!! The bullet was easy for me!

I worry that I'm eating too much because it seems like a LOT compared to 6 or 8 months ago. I just ate two eggs with a half oz of grated 2% cheese grated in them. I'm totally full. Some days I can only eat 1 egg. I'm not sure why that is. I can eat a half cup of 1% cottage cheese (the REAL Breakfast of champions) with a slice of canned pineapple. I can eat 3 oz of meat, with only an eighth cup of cottage and maybe a bite of a veggie. It really does seem like a lot, but I know it's not. I can eat 1.5 chicken enchiladas, it seems like only yesterday I could eat just one half (early on) and then 1 full one. I might take a bite of Beans and rice, but when I eat 1.5 - I don't eat anything else. I definitely still feel good restriction. I still do not experience real hunger, my "NEW" hunger is an empty feeling and just a little bit of that hungry feeling. Nothing that compares to before surgery.

I love this sleeve - I've lost 88 lbs and have been maintaining since January. That's the tricky part, stopping the weight loss!!

oh my goodness! i would LOVE to have the problem of needing to stop my weight loss :) good for you!

Thomas: this might be a silly question, but what do you mean you measure in volume and not weight? And OMGoodness! How did you lose all your weight in 2 months???????

Thank you everyone!

I am at 2 months out here are some examples of what entire meal is for me

A typical meal for me is:

3/4 of a small fuit and yogurt parfait from mcdonalds

1 slice of toast (crusts cut off) with 1-2 tablespoons of Peanut Butter

1/2 cup of cottage cheese

1 baby bell cheese and about 2 inches of a banana

12-20 hormel turkey pepperoni

1/3- 1/2 a regular hard shell taco- light on toppings

2-3oz of tuna with miracle whip with 4 small crackers.

1 egg (scrambled, poached, hard boiled)

and lots of other things I can't think of right now!!!

I'm 2months out and I'm only "eating" 2-3oz , still just simple chicken breast, tuna, baked fish, hard cheese or laughing cow on saltines, innards of baked potato, soft fruits, things like that. I was able to find a company that provides Protein beverages that actually has different flavor options and you can put them in the refrig so you can drink them cold. They aren't super great tasting but at 2.9ozs I get 25grams of Protein in one nice tube (drink them like "shots") and if I have 2 a day along with my food I can boost my protein to the 70grams that the doctor wants me to get in. (They are called Profect see www.protica.com).

I'm hoping I'll be able to increase the food intake but for now it seems this is all I can handle.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.cweight.png[/img]om/ezt/t/wD2NZZd/weight.png[/img]

6 oz at 3.5 Months out does sound like more than I did. That's about how much I eat now and I'm well over a year out now. At 3.5 Months out I struggled with 4 Oz pretty much.

That said, you are losing pretty steady, so I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Your body seems comfortable with the amount you are consuming. If at some point you stall for more than a month or are noticing you are only losing 1-2 Lbs per month, then maybe address the issue.

Good luck!

Thank you Lisa, sleepeone and Diva :)

I think i will cut down my meal size a little bit, just so my stomach doesn't get used to eating more and more. I appreciate all the input and suggestions !!!

thank you again everyone. you are all so awesome

Hi Jewels of June,

First, I go by volume not weight like 2.5 ounces. Are people talking liquid or dry items. 8 ounces of liquid milk will not fit into an 8 ounce dry measuring cup. You can eat more than 6 ounces and not fill the tummy.

Our stomachs are the size of a banana so think in terms of volume, how much can you eat (after chewing) to fill the banana peel. I can fit a pound of Lead into the banana peal or 3 ounces of Jello.

We are to eat a 5 inch plate and I assure you if you do it right there is more than 2.5 ounces of weight on that plate. The other day I made a homemade lasagna. I had a regular size piece and a medium salad. After chewing it all it fit into tummy nicely and I didn't feel bloated, lots of Protein (yes and calories but I was splurging that day to fill the craving). If I limited myself to 2 ounces or 4 ounces, I wouldn't have eaten the whole piece.

Second, on slowing weight loss down. I weighed 236 at surgery and ideal weight is 156 so excess is 80 pounds. We are to lose 50 to 60% of excess in 12 months. In two months I lost 40 pounds and with going back to the gym I was getting fatigued, lost to much to fast so I talked with doctor and dietician and we came to a calorie amount to stabilize my loss and slow it down. If I lose one pound a week I will be at my total weight loss in another 5 months instead of 10 months. My primary care doctor and I pretty much agree I should only go down to 180 not 156 for my body structure (my shoulder blades and ribs are practically showing now so BMI is not the measurement for me for ideal weight unless I want to look like a skeleton)

Now with metabolism stabilized I am losing it slowly and no longer fatigued or sweating like a sprinkler when working out. I am back to a normal life with a lot less weight.

Tom

oh my goodness! i would LOVE to have the problem of needing to stop my weight loss :) good for you!

Thomas: this might be a silly question, but what do you mean you measure in volume and not weight? And OMGoodness! How did you lose all your weight in 2 months???????

Thank you everyone!

Thank you sooo much CPA! that makes total sense to me!! wow you are doing amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOod for you!! thank you for all this information. I really appreciate it so much!!!!