Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Sunshine,

My doctor's orders says to eat nothing thicker than the consistency of yogurt. I have been eating, or rather drinking the Soup the doctor sells, cream chicken and Tomato, Low Carb Slim Fast, Jello, Yogurt so far.

Thanks to all who answered my last entry and your encourageing words.

I have a suggestion for measureing your foods. The little cups you use for the Bathroom are exactly 3 oz. And because it hurts when I been over to pick up something up from the floor, my sister suggested useing long bar-be-que tongs. Works great untill I drop the tongs on the floor. I'll have to be more carefull.

Charlene

Boy do I hear you on this one! I too am off to vacation and just starting soft foods. I'm looking forward to the additional choices I will get to make. Will make eating out that much easier too. AND I'm nervous that I'll go overboard. So, good luck with your food choices and know someone is out there with you!

Sue Stenzel

I'm off for a 6 day vacation Wednesday and am worried about gaining - wish me well!! Hopefully, all the walking will help offset the "I'm on vacation and should indulge" mentality.

Marlena

I am still at a fine line as to what I can eat and what not, since my last fill. I have thrown up way more since my 4th fill and I hate it.

I have to remember to eat really slowly. I think that's my problem.

Hi,

My 1st. Doc's meeting went fine. Having my Psychology testing done on Oct. 3rd., my 43rd Wedding Annv.

Too add to a busy month I'm having a Colonascopy on Sept. 27th. Everything coming around fast now. My Family Doc wanted me to have it as one of my Annual test. My Banding Doc., Dr. Carroll wanted me to have it before the banding. Well set up an appt. wth the Dietition soon. Might be Banded in early Nov.

Progress is being made. My Insurence Co. & Medicare said that they will cover 100% of the cost, let's hope that realy is the case.

Don

Hi,

My 1st. Doc's meeting went fine. Having my Psychology testing done on Oct. 3rd., my 43rd Wedding Annv.

Too add to a busy month I'm having a Colonascopy on Sept. 27th. Everything coming around fast now. My Family Doc wanted me to have it as one of my Annual test. My Banding Doc., Dr. Carroll wanted me to have it before the banding. Well set up an appt. wth the Dietition soon. Might be Banded in early Nov.

Progress is being made. My Insurence Co. & Medicare said that they will cover 100% of the cost, let's hope that realy is the case.

Don

Hi, Don,

Good progress! I am Medicare and Tricare for Life and so far just have $202 to pay... can't remember what it was that wasn't covered, but I'm not complaining. I think it was the dietary consult. I was told ahead of time that Medicare doesn't cover that. And then a few weeks ago, I found out that Tricare doesn't cover this procedure at all! I always say "APPEAL" because I used to work as a pre-cert nurse (RN), but, I don't think you can argue with the government when THEY say its not a covered benefit! Oh, well! I expect i'll end up with a few hundred in bills, but that's okay!

We were married 43 yrs last month! Congratulations!

Wasn't Green getting Face Lift on 9/24... or do i dream about posting on this board... I went back through my post but i can't find it - I swear it was green - Just wanted to see how she was doing - you have been on my mind - dad's b-day same day as surgery - 9/24 -

But I can't find it - PLEASE TELL ME I AM NOT CRAZY....

Hi, Don,

Good progress! I am Medicare and Tricare for Life and so far just have $202 to pay... can't remember what it was that wasn't covered, but I'm not complaining. I think it was the dietary consult. I was told ahead of time that Medicare doesn't cover that. And then a few weeks ago, I found out that Tricare doesn't cover this procedure at all! I always say "APPEAL" because I used to work as a pre-cert nurse (RN), but, I don't think you can argue with the government when THEY say its not a covered benefit! Oh, well! I expect i'll end up with a few hundred in bills, but that's okay!

We were married 43 yrs last month! Congratulations!

So, you have been married 43 yrs. also. Your about the 1st. person I have met that's been married the some year. We have two kids Ha-HA, (there still your "KIDS" arn't they); two Grandkids. That's it for now.

My wifes brother and wife lives in ALYN, WA. I might not have spell the town right. It's toward the bottom of that body of Water.< /p>

Don

So, you have been married 43 yrs. also. Your about the 1st. person I have met that's been married the some year. We have two kids Ha-HA, (there still your "KIDS" arn't they); two Grandkids. That's it for now.

My wifes brother and wife lives in ALYN, WA. I might not have spell the town right. It's toward the bottom of that body of Water.< /p>

Don

So, you have been married 43 yrs. also. Your about the 1st. person I have met that's been married the some year. We have two kids Ha-HA, (there still Your "KIDS" arn't they); two Grandkids. That's it for now.

My wifes brother and wife lives in ALYN, WA. I might not have spell the town right. It's toward the bottom of that body of water.

OOPS; should have read "OUR" kids.............

Don

I've heard of that town. So, down near Olympia maybe? South end of Puget Sound, probably.

We have four "kids", ten grandkids, a couple of "step-grandkids", and three "step-great-grandkids"!! Great for making you feel real old! Our grandkids are spread out from 2-19 yrs, and I am enjoying still having little ones around. That's one of the main reasons we recently moved back to WA. They're fun!

Colonoscopy..YUK..after 50 test.:rose:

Any of you had this thing and have any words of wisdom..before or after?

Thanks...I want to put it off but.......I know it needs to be done. Yuk, Yuk, Yuk!!!!!

My doctor wanted me to have a colonoscopy, so I asked my banding doctor. I told him how sick (because of that nasty stuff you have to use to clean yourself out with) the one I had 10 years ago made me. They said I should be unfilled before I have it. No Way!! I have just got to the point where this band is working for me. I'm not about to unfill it. I'll wait till I'm done losing, if that ever happens. Bonnie

Colonoscopy..YUK..after 50 test.:rose:

Any of you had this thing and have any words of wisdom..before or after?

Thanks...I want to put it off but.......I know it needs to be done. Yuk, Yuk, Yuk!!!!!

Househuntress - it's a piece of cake - i had to have one prior to surgery - they sedate you "conciense (SP) sedation" I watched the whole thing on the t.v. - the nurse and i talked the whole time - it's like having a buzz. No pain nothing... I was advoiding it - but would do it again if had to without a problem - ya its a bit embarssing - but heck that's what this kind of doc does all the time - they all look the same - he has seen it all. We have colon problems in our family so i was glad to know that i didn't have any..

It's not that bad - trust me I am not a doc person (this is why I had so many test prior to surgery cuz i just don't go unless i am sick and lucky that doesn't happen very offen)

When it's all said & don't you will say "no problem)

I agree that it is an easy procedure. Although it was light sedation, I was "out" during the procedure but woke easily when it was over. There was no discomfort at any time. You are lying on your side. Years ago some docs put patients in stirrups for a colonoscopy. I'm glad that those days are gone!

I had a colonscopy last year and it was a walk in the park--I don't remember a thing until it was over although it was just light sedation. The worst part was the preparation for it--oh man! Drinking the stuff, enema, etc. Far worse than the procedure itself. My father died last week of colon cancer--never had a colonoscopy so you can bet I'll have one every time the doctor says it's time (which I understand is usually every five years). Good luck!

Wasn't Green getting Face Lift on 9/24... or do i dream about posting on this board... I went back through my post but i can't find it - I swear it was green - Just wanted to see how she was doing - you have been on my mind - dad's b-day same day as surgery - 9/24 -

But I can't find it - PLEASE TELL ME I AM NOT CRAZY....

No, you aren't crazy, Indio. I remember that conversation but I'm not sure it was on this thread. Out of town now and don't have time to look for it on this computer but I'll check it out tomorrow if you haven't resolved it by then. Have you tried going to Green's name and looking at all of her posts? That's what I'd do if I had time...good luck!