Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

I was banded last Sept and am at goal but I have had to have a complete defill due to a recent attack - my first - of acid reflux. This wasn't responding to meds and when I had a series of upper G.I. X-rays it was discovered that I also have a hiatal hernia. So I am currently running on empty until everything gastric settles down. :phanvan

My challenge at the moment is not to gain back the weight which I have lost. I do think that my stomach has shrunk significantly and that my new eating habits have made a permanent difference but I sure do miss the sense of security which my band provides. I really miss my training wheels/hall monitor and am really looking forward to getting refilled. :help: I can say that I still fit my mini-clothes (I was defilled a couple of weeks ago, I guess) but I am glad that I didn't chuck out my big grrl gear. :paranoid

The upside of all of this is that I have learned that my stomach has shrunk and that I really have learned how to monitor my food intake. As to how long this good behaviour will last without my band, I dunno.... I will keep you in the loop. :ranger:

I was banded last Sept and am at goal but I have had to have a complete defill due to a recent attack - my first - of acid reflux. This wasn't responding to meds and when I had a series of upper G.I. X-rays it was discovered that I also have a hiatal hernia. So I am currently running on empty until everything gastric settles down. :phanvan

My challenge at the moment is not to gain back the weight which I have lost. I do think that my stomach has shrunk significantly and that my new eating habits have made a permanent difference but I sure do miss the sense of security which my band provides. I really miss my training wheels/hall monitor and am really looking forward to getting refilled. :help: I can say that I still fit my mini-clothes (I was defilled a couple of weeks ago, I guess) but I am glad that I didn't chuck out my big grrl gear. :paranoid

The upside of all of this is that I have learned that my stomach has shrunk and that I really have learned how to monitor my food intake. As to how long this good behaviour will last without my band, I dunno.... I will keep you in the loop. :ranger:

Green sorry that you are unfilled are they going to repair your herina ??? I know that I have read that alot of people had them and they were fixed during surgery. You are almost 1 yr out - do you still feel the complustion to eat like you use to??? I am surprised that you hadn't chucked your big girl clothes!!! I might keep a pair of pant as a reminder - but I think once i get to goal i will give my clothes away - there are just a few things i may have taylored but the rest can go bye bye :car:

Good Luck to you on keeping in control - I know this has to be difficult

Claramae,

I Had My Sergery On The 21st Of Aug 06 And I Too Was 59. I Have Lost 108 Lbs And Feel Great!!! Tomorrow Is My 1 Yr Banniversary. Don't Be Discuraged If You Gain Some Of Those 9 Lbs Back. Just Remember Your Body Is Healing And Not Meant To Be Losing Much. The First 4 Mos I Hardly Lost Anything. I Probably Lost About 15-20 Lbs But I Was Hoping To Have Lost Much More. When I Got My 4th Fill, Which Was In Jan, I Have Loss The Rest. The Band Is Wonderful And I Am Very Happy With It.

I Fly To Calif From Tx In Oct And Should Be Down 125 By Then. I Have Not Told Anyone In Calif That I Have Had The Sx Nor Have I Told Them I Have Lost Any Weight. I Have Gone From A 34 To A 20 And Feeling So Much Younger. It Was Hard For Me Before Just To Get Up Off The Couch And Now I Feel Like I Was When I Was 40.

The Hardest Thing I Have Found, Is To Be Patient. I Still Get On The scale Every Day. I'm An Addict Now. The Only Thing Now, I Don't Get Upset If I Don't Lose Or If I Gain A Lb For I Know It Will Come Off. Because I Can't Eat In The Morning Because I Am Very Tight And Can Not Get Anything Down, I Must Take My Vitamins. I Also Get My Protein Shakes In When I Get Home In The Evening Before dinner. That Way I Get Vitamins And 25 Proteins Out Of My 60 Daily Amount Needed.

Good Luck To All Of You Out There.

Ladydi

Green sorry that you are unfilled are they going to repair your herina ??? I know that I have read that alot of people had them and they were fixed during surgery. You are almost 1 yr out - do you still feel the complustion to eat like you use to??? I am surprised that you hadn't chucked your big girl clothes!!! I might keep a pair of pant as a reminder - but I think once i get to goal i will give my clothes away - there are just a few things i may have taylored but the rest can go bye bye :car:

Good Luck to you on keeping in control - I know this has to be difficult

It seems that they feel that they don't need to fix the hernia. Apparently hiatal hernias are very common amongst older folk. I did not have a hernia at the time I was banded, nor did I have reflux. These are all brand new headaches for me, ones which I developed 10 months post-band.

As for the big clothes, these are made of linen and I love linen. I simply haven't had the heart to toss 'em. (Linen is just so comfortable in the summer.) In fact I often wear them even though they now give me the Rap Star Crotch look.

Today, however, I am wearing a pair of size 10 capris and my crotch isn't down around my kneecaps. Of course it is a lot cooler and I do have the central A/C turned off as well. LOL

Dear pjanes54 and ladydi---Thanks for the reply. You guys give me so much confidence. Congrats on all of your weight loss. My surgery is on the 27th of August. I am looking forward to it so that at least I can move on to something else to eat, such as cream of wheat.

This liquid diet is killing me. I have been on it one week, exactly. I do fine until about 4 pm and I start getting the "hungrys". But it is one day at a time. Thanks for the replies. I am sure I will be leaning on you guys come next week.

Hi all. I'm seriously considering going with a MX doc. Have any of you RVer's taken your RV into Mexico? Wondering about doing that when I get banded.

I don't post much either because I don't feel I have much to offer either, but I am thinking about it, and well, I guess maybe I do! After losing 53 pounds and 10 sizes in 4 months, I have something to maybe encourage you all with! Of course doing the surgery and still now I always do everything with Prayer! But, after that I have found things turn out much better if you keep always positive about it all! Don't listen to anyone or anything that is negative. I told myself, this is something I have decided to do, I AM doing it, and I refuse to listen to anyone negative!!

Everything has been just wonderful for me, except for the last fill which I got to much, and was my own fault for waiting 7 weeks to get some unfill. If you work the "band", it will work for you!! It is not all easy, you have to put in a great effort every day. Follow the rules, watch what you eat, drink your Protein, and Water, and of great importance, EXERCISE!! And, probly most important of all, stay on this board for support!!! The band will let you know when you do something wrong! Good wishes to all of you about to get the band, and stay POSITIVE!! P.S. The B. Center took my after picture last week, to go with my before, even though I have more to lose, they say I look totally different!! That was a great push for me!!:whoo:

I hit twoterville today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been a LONG time since I have seen the "2's".

Good for you! That's great!

I've been playing w/ the same 5-6 pounds up and down and know how frustrating it is to be so close to that next goal and not able to get there.

You s/b extra proud of yourself! :whoo:

Hi all. I'm seriously considering going with a MX doc. Have any of you RVer's taken your RV into Mexico? Wondering about doing that when I get banded.

My DH is toochicken to take the RV to MX, but Id go in a heartbeat and know many RVers who have gone w/o incident.

2bthinagain.... Congrats on hitting twoterville :clap2:

Margi.... :wow2:.. 53 pounds and 10 sizes in 4 months... That is a great accomplishment..

Claramae... You are half way there with your liquid diet.. Please keep us posted after your surgery.. We will be thinking of you.. :)

Green... Sorry to hear about the hernia and that you had to unfill... Keep us posted as to how things go with you. :o

LadyDi... Happy One Year Bandiversary and for making it to Onederland :first: You have made a big difference in your life... That is so neat and thanks for sharing your story with us... Please keep us posted on the reaction of the family in California when you go in October..

Phyllser.... Hello fellow RVer.. We are in Northern California right now. About 40 miles north of San Francisco. My son lives in Simi Valley sort of down IndioGirl's way. Sure do enjoy the lifestyle... :P

Hope everyone is having a good week....

OMG---I cannot find whoever posted this link to the music-----but thanks so much. I am listening to the most wonderful music for these baby boomers. The kids now days do not know what good music is.

Thanks, Clara:clap2:

Denise - I wish I could make those scales move for you... I agree w/you if our aren't hungry say on liquids - Does your Doctor have any kind of advise or help???

I had a resting metabolic test couple of months ago.It showed I

have a very slow metabolism. Plus he had told me I wouldn't lose as

fast as someone who had more to lose. I was 215 the day of surgery.

I also wonder if the fact that I take HRT has something to do with it.

Does anyone else take hormones? I have heard they really slow down

weight loss. I can't sleep if I don't take them. Menopause caused me

horrible insomnia.:speechles

I am hoping tomorrow the scale shows a couple lbs gone.

HI! I had my surgery 1/10/07 -- lost 100 pounds in 6 months! Was totally surprized with that amount...but then had severe acid reflux...so the doctor took out all my Fluid to let my sore belly heal. Today I go back and I want atleast 3 ccs back in. I don't like no restriction. Went up 10 lbs really fast. I was totally dehydrated, hadn't kept any food down for 4 weeks since last fill. BUT I would do it again. This has changed my life. My cholestral went from 270 to 167 in 4 months...