Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved/Not Approved (AGAIN)

So, as many of you know, I have had an extremely hard time with my BCBS Federal insurance. I was told over the phone on September 16, 2011, that I was approved and a letter was in the mail. My surgeon's office called as well and was told the same thing. On September 22, 2011, I got a letter in the mail dated from September 7th that they needed further documentation. I called and my surgeon's office called as well and insurance said that they have everything they need and I am approved.....even gave an "approval code." I had all my pre-op tests done, after calling insurance and getting a run around about the costs of the pre-op tests. Today, my surgeon's office called to do the pre-certification, just to see the exact costs that insurance is going to pay. BCBS told them that I wasn't approved and they were still waiting on the additional documentation (that was sent in earlier). After they found the documentation, they sent it to the nurse for approval. They tried to contact her but couldn't. Finally, I get a call saying the nurse is aware that the documentation is not there and it may take another 30 days to be approved. My surgery is scheduled for Monday. Please send me some positive thoughts before I hurt someone. :) This has been the most frustrating thing I have ever had to deal with in my life. My dad has stage IV kidney cancer and started new treatment this week. They also started him on new pain medicine, and he doesn't handle pain medicine well at all. So, I need to get this surgery behind me. I just wish the insurance wouldn't stall on everything.

So, as many of you know, I have had an extremely hard time with my BCBS Federal insurance. I was told over the phone on September 16, 2011, that I was approved and a letter was in the mail. My surgeon's office called as well and was told the same thing. On September 22, 2011, I got a letter in the mail dated from September 7th that they needed further documentation. I called and my surgeon's office called as well and insurance said that they have everything they need and I am approved.....even gave an "approval code." I had all my pre-op tests done, after calling insurance and getting a run around about the costs of the pre-op tests. Today, my surgeon's office called to do the pre-certification, just to see the exact costs that insurance is going to pay. BCBS told them that I wasn't approved and they were still waiting on the additional documentation (that was sent in earlier). After they found the documentation, they sent it to the nurse for approval. They tried to contact her but couldn't. Finally, I get a call saying the nurse is aware that the documentation is not there and it may take another 30 days to be approved. My surgery is scheduled for Monday. Please send me some positive thoughts before I hurt someone. :) This has been the most frustrating thing I have ever had to deal with in my life. My dad has stage IV kidney cancer and started new treatment this week. They also started him on new pain medicine, and he doesn't handle pain medicine well at all. So, I need to get this surgery behind me. I just wish the insurance wouldn't stall on everything.

That really sucks, Insurance can be such a pain in the !@#. Try to stay positive and on top of the situation! Sending you good luck that it will all work out!:D

Sorry this has been so hard...I am saying a prayer that you get a call very soon and everything is right on schedule.

Thank you both!! I just got off the phone with BCBS again, and they said it was approved as of today! I got an approval code, and they are faxing the confirmation letter to me. Twoboysandagirl, thanks for the prayers because they worked!!!!! Thank the Lord!

AWESOME!!! Congrats.. you are almost there!! I'll say a prayer for you dad as well!! Good luck!!!!

Congrats!!!!! I'm soooo happy for you!! I also have BCBS Federal and I just started my 3 months last month... two more months to go!! I'm praying that if everything goes as planned, I will have the surgery in January. ::praying:: I really pray that the insurance doesn't give me a hard time :(

Good luck on your surgery and keep us informed on your progress!

AWESOME!!! Congrats.. you are almost there!! I'll say a prayer for you dad as well!! Good luck!!!!

Thank you so much, especially for prayers for my dad. It has been a long hard road and today they found a large mass on my mom's colon. I am praying it isn't cancer. Lord knows I can't handle much more.

Congrats!!!!! I'm soooo happy for you!! I also have BCBS Federal and I just started my 3 months last month... two more months to go!! I'm praying that if everything goes as planned, I will have the surgery in January. ::praying:: I really pray that the insurance doesn't give me a hard time :(

Good luck on your surgery and keep us informed on your progress!

Good luck with everything. If you need anything, I am here! I have been there, done that. The best advice I can give is to not give up. Once everything has been submitted to insurance, call them A LOT. Keep informed and never give up. My surgeon's office said that my case was something that they have never seen before and that they usually have good luck with BCBS Federal. Hopefully you will have a much smoother process! Keep me updated!

Thank you both!! I just got off the phone with BCBS again, and they said it was approved as of today! I got an approval code, and they are faxing the confirmation letter to me. Twoboysandagirl, thanks for the prayers because they worked!!!!! Thank the Lord!

It's a great feeling when bcbs approves! Mine was approved this week, as well!! Good luck!! ;0)

It's a great feeling when bcbs approves! Mine was approved this week, as well!! Good luck!! ;0)

Congrats! When is your surgery date? Where are you having it done?

I hate insurance. After reading what everyone goes thru on here with theirs I didnt even attempt to use my crappy Kaiser plan. I went to Dr Kelly. Saved alot of time and frustration. Good luck with everything. Keep us posted.

Oct 28 In southern California :0)

Congrats I'm excited for you