Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I ate chips and half a bagel. I'm worried!

I am 2 months out from surgery and I know this was wrong and I'm so mad at myself but I tried eating chips and it was no problem at all. I could have continued eating them too. I ate quite a bit more than I would have imagined I could have. In addition to this, I ate half of a bagel with cream cheese. I'm also finding that I can drink normal gulps of Water. I'm not trying to push the sleeve. I want it to work. I was PMSing and hungry and felt like I was going crazy. I ate this stuff and now I'm shocked at what I can physically eat. I wonder now if the surgery won't work anymore.

I have heard chips referred to as "sliders" meaning you can eat alot (my understanding). Now the bagel I have heard most people say bread bothers them! You already know you shouldn't be eating them, sounds like maybe it's time to clean out the cabinets of all foods not allowed - I just can't have it in the house or I want it.

There's nothing wrong with the surgery. It's the food choices, and you can't continue to feel horrible about those choices. You did it, you know the facts that those foods are sliders, nutrient and Protein lacking and will impede weight loss if you continue on that path.

Your sleeve is fine. Everyone has different sliders. I can eat huge, I mean huge amounts of chips, pretzels, crackers without restriction. Seriously, I could easily eat an entire sleeve of saltine crackers and never feel like I ate anything. Bagels still don't work for me, but regular bread/rolls/french bread all slide right down for me.

There really are very few foods that I can't physically eat. It just boils down to the process of "just because I can, doesn't mean I should!"

There's nothing wrong with the surgery. It's the food choices, and you can't continue to feel horrible about those choices. You did it, you know the facts that those foods are sliders, nutrient and Protein lacking and will impede weight loss if you continue on that path.

Your sleeve is fine. Everyone has different sliders. I can eat huge, I mean huge amounts of chips, pretzels, crackers without restriction. Seriously, I could easily eat an entire sleeve of saltine crackers and never feel like I ate anything. Bagels still don't work for me, but regular bread/rolls/french bread all slide right down for me.

There really are very few foods that I can't physically eat. It just boils down to the process of "just because I can, doesn't mean I should!"

Thank you for telling me this. I have a deep fear that I am going to be the one person whose body will somehow reject the surgery defying all scientific logic. That somehow it just won't work. I have been convincing myself of this ever since I ate this crap and realized I could physically do it. The past week has been depressing with me not even wanting to go exercise or do anything b/c I'm somehow convinced now that I've ruined all my chances. I really appreciate you telling me that about the sleeve of saltine crackers. I need to know I'm not some freak of nature but that this can happen to other people too. And it was my crappy decision but continuing to act depressed about it is not helping me. And now I need to just move on and get back on the track. Thanks for talking me off the ledge!

Thank you for telling me this. I have a deep fear that I am going to be the one person whose body will somehow reject the surgery defying all scientific logic. That somehow it just won't work. I have been convincing myself of this ever since I ate this crap and realized I could physically do it. The past week has been depressing with me not even wanting to go exercise or do anything b/c I'm somehow convinced now that I've ruined all my chances. I really appreciate you telling me that about the sleeve of saltine crackers. I need to know I'm not some freak of nature but that this can happen to other people too. And it was my crappy decision but continuing to act depressed about it is not helping me. And now I need to just move on and get back on the track. Thanks for talking me off the ledge!

You'll do great chickee ! ! ! The only reason I realized I could eat this amount is because one day(about a month ago) I was having a pregnancy craving for crackers and 1000 Island dressing (weird huh?), and as I sat there snacking over about a 45 minute time frame, I realized I had put away about half of the sleeve of crackers and Lord only knows how many tablespoons of dressing.

There's a few of us that can eat bready stuff and it be sliders. You're going to hear other people chime in and say "well I could NEVER eat that much, or I could never eat a bagel". Well, that's their body, and their tolerances. I still can't eat fricken pork chops or scrambled eggs without discomfort and I'm over 2 years out. I puked up some well-chewed, moist pork chops a few days after not trying them in over 8 months after my last episode.

I promise you aren't a freak. And, just my 2cents on the negative self-talk; it's a self-sabotage tactic. I seriously never doubted myself or my sleeve because I knew if I started with negatives, all that would do is breed negativity and then what would I have to hang on to.

I wrote a couple of little affirmations on my bathroom mirror in bright pink lipstick just as a reminder..

Tiffy-kins: Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I owe a huge debt to you for the courage to have this operation and the ability to focus on success on my journey. Great idea for the affirmations and I am going to put some up today!

Coffeetx: I've found I can eat bad for me foods too. But I'm with Tiffy-kins: just because I can doesn't mean I should. I usually talk myself out of it by eating my Protein first. Once I get the required amount of protein down, I don't have room for much else. And I don't want to lose my hair or have protein-related health issues, so I'm usually pretty good. But I fall off the wagon occasionally. I just tell myself, the difference between me and a non-successful person is that I climb back on the wagon and keep going!

Lynda

Thanks for asking this....I just realized this myself this week and I'm about 6 weeks out and can EAT pretzels! Glad to know I'm not a freak either! Tracy w,

I'm glad to know I'm not alone here as well! I'm 7 weeks out today (yay!!) and I have undereaten my sleeve all along. This is good, but it makes for a mystery and self doubt...or sleeve doubt. It makes me wonder whether I will know when I've eaten too much?? What will happen if I became weak and 'binged' as I have sooo many times in the past?? Fortunately I've not yet been placed in a situation that I've succumbed to temptation, but I know that time will come. This whole ride has been incredibly simple, yet incredibly heavy on the mind games and what ifs.....

Trust me, you'll definitely know when you've eaten too much. I am 11 weeks out and I made this mistake...once. It only took once...lol I was eating lunch with a co-worker, was chatting and wasn't paying attention to how much i was eating, and all of a sudden the last bite got to me....after an hour of suffering, up it came. I hope I never make that mistake again! Now I eat slower, I pay attention, I put on my plate only what I think my sleeve will hold, and I stop eating for a few minutes about 1/2 way through just to make sure I am okay. I'm like Tiffykins, however, and when it comes to chips, crackers, etc., I can easily chow down! I can also eat bread products and although I can't eat very much, they don't bother me at all. I do my best to stick with Protein first and have embraced salads with grilled chicken on top....caesar salads rock right now for me :)

I have definitely eaten things I shouldn't have, such as ice creams, Cookies, cake, etc. These things have been very small, very seldom, and as treats. I know I shouldn't eat them, and usually don't, but part of the reason I wanted the sleeve was so I wouldn't be restricted as much with what I could eat. I have young children, and I know that I will have a slice of birthday cake on special occasions, and I will eat the occasional dessert....just very small portions, and not often. You'll be great, just don't beat yourself up. Stick with your meal plan, eat healthy foods and Protein, and the weight will come off. Good luck :)

I'm glad to know I'm not alone here as well! I'm 7 weeks out today (yay!!) and I have undereaten my sleeve all along. This is good, but it makes for a mystery and self doubt...or sleeve doubt. It makes me wonder whether I will know when I've eaten too much?? What will happen if I became weak and 'binged' as I have sooo many times in the past?? Fortunately I've not yet been placed in a situation that I've succumbed to temptation, but I know that time will come. This whole ride has been incredibly simple, yet incredibly heavy on the mind games and what ifs.....

You all make me feel so much better!! I'm about 5 1/2 weeks out from surgery & have been worried that I haven't had issues with ANY food so far!! I always eat my Proteins first, but still seem to save room for a bite of something "bad". I get so worried that I'm going to be the one that stretches out my stomach before the surgery has a chance to work---but I still know I'm eating a fraction of what I used to!!! It's so scary sometimes--I'm trying to under eat for my sleeve & avoid that bloated, over full feeling--I'm also working on the mental part....harder than what I'd imagined. Thanks to all who take the time to post & help us newbees out!

my mom had to hide the goldfish crackers....I LOVE those things. I definately can eat saltines like a queen....you gotta get rid of that stuff. If you have others in the house who enjoy it have them hide it where you won't find it and ask them not to eat it while you are around....

And sometimes things change--I could eat potato chips at around 2 months out, but I can't tolerate them any more. Ditto chicken nuggets--tried one at around 8 weeks out, chewed well, and it was fine; tried one at 4 months, and it was one of the more painful episodes of a bunch of episodes. LOL So what works today might not work tomorrow, and what didn't work yesterday might work today. Some things are 100% reliable friends--you'll get to where you know what those are--and some things are just not in my repertoire right now.

I have "slider" foods--cheese, believe it or not, and nuts! What a weird sleeve I have. I just have to limit myself to small servings and not keep the jar right by my chair. I slice just enough cheese for a meal. The sleeve is a tool, but we still have to use the tool properly. I'm thrilled about this because even when I need to limit my portion sizes, thanks to my sleeve, I don't feel hungry or deprived.

I'm thrilled about this because even when I need to limit my portion sizes, thanks to my sleeve, I don't feel hungry or deprived.

I am a volume eater and that is heaven to my ears!!!!!!!

I am six weeks out and recently tried the Saltine crackers and they dont bother my sleeve. How about if you get your all your Protein and have about 5 saltines? I am tracking all my calories on myfitnesspal and always stay way under under 1,000 calories with the rule of protein first. Do you think it would become a problem in the future if I continue to allow crackers?