Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low carb versus low calorie

By keeping carbs under 30g you are going to have rapid weight loss, 50-100 some weight loss, 100-200 maintain, and 200+ gain. That is just a frame of reference and I've found it to be true.

I think this is probably true, but if you do more intense workouts, you might need more carbs. I am in the middle range most of the time (50-100) and am still losing, am 18 pounds from goal. What I do watch is Protein first. This helps keeping the insulin spike down, which can bring cravings... and over eating, craving for more carbs. I also mostly eat complex carbs, with a junky carb now and then... in very small quantities. I might be able to lose faster with lower carbs, but my goal is not just to lose, but keep it off, which is more likely with a balanced diet. (for me). I try to eat more grams of Protein than carbs a day. Most of the time I can do that.

Guest Rosalind

wow Rosalind glad I am not your husband. I think you totally took what I said they wrong way.

You have confirmed what I said. Why would you make a comment about a personal relationship when you don't know me?:noidea: Our opinions have NOTHING to do with my personal life and you have no business commenting on my personal life.:crazy: I have not sought a personal relationship with you!! IGNORANT!!!!:frusty:

:focus:

my comment was a nice way of saying you took offence to a completely innocent and true post that was not directed at you except to point out your previous comment. I would hate to be married to a woman that did that to me. That was my point. And you did it again with your last comment. GEEZUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone,

Lets please keep to the topic at hand, which is always been quite the debate around here over time. Everyone's journey's are their own and as long as you're making it work and you're losing weight that is all that really matters.

Remember to remain respectful in your replies at all times, which all of us agreed to do when we signed up here. It would be a shame for me to have to close this thread for a simple derailment, this is really good information.

If you have any concerns at all, please feel free to contact me or an Admin for assistance.

Oh the low carb debate!

We all know we should limit carbs but trust me I will NEVER cut anything I love of my diet completely when I know I can enjoy it (Pasta, sushi, etc!) once a week and can make it up by working out an extra hour or two that week! Also, the sleeve keeps that portion that would be huge before the surgery way more under control.

So, question, people doing the low carb thing (i'm doing it too) are you counting the 30 grams per day to include total carbs or just net carbs (the total carb count minus the carbs from fiber)????

This is the part that is bloody confusing!!!!

I'm doing 30 grams of total carbs, so I don't subtract the Fiber carbs...

HELP PLEASE!!!

You count carbs that affect blood sugar and dietary Fiber and sugar alcohols do not affect blood sugar. I subtract them.

So, question, people doing the low carb thing (i'm doing it too) are you counting the 30 grams per day to include total carbs or just net carbs (the total carb count minus the carbs from fiber)????

I'm doing 30 grams of total carbs, so I don't subtract the fiber carbs...

HELP PLEASE!!!

I did 60g TOTAL carbs per day. I didn't account for anything except carbs period. However, my choices were always whole grains, green veggies and very little fruit. I tried to do my best to do high fiber which I'd get in around 18-25g per day. I held a higher ceiling because my workout routine is very intense and it just worked much better for me. My body does not like to do 30g or less for any length of time as my weight loss would plummet, besides I would feel so terrible!! :(

Everyone's just got to find their own personal happy medium. Log everything and keep a journal and take notice on what works best for your body. Good luck!

Thanks Irene!!! Just the kind of advice i was looking for!!!

Since i started journaling EVERYTHING i'm eating 3 weeks ago, I have been losing sooooo much!!! I'm aiming for 30, but some days i go up to 50.... especially when i need a poweraide after working out!!! Like you i'm exercising my butt off and it is really working, but some days i feel like i have no energy and i'm about to die!!!

Thanks!! biggrin.gif

I did 60g TOTAL carbs per day. I didn't account for anything except carbs period. However, my choices were always whole grains, green veggies and very little fruit. I tried to do my best to do high fiber which I'd get in around 18-25g per day. I held a higher ceiling because my workout routine is very intense and it just worked much better for me. My body does not like to do 30g or less for any length of time as my weight loss would plummet, besides I would feel so terrible!! :(

Everyone's just got to find their own personal happy medium. Log everything and keep a journal and take notice on what works best for your body. Good luck!

Hi nacnic:

Checking labels is one way... be sure to watch out for the serving size... often it doesn't match the contents of the package, even in individual serving foods and drinks.....

For me, I weigh the raw ingredients, and then look up the cals, Protein, and carbs online at: http://www.myfitness...nutrition-facts and often i end up using my mini-book called "NEW Dr. Atkins' Carbohydrate Gram Counter"... i love this book... it is tiny and portable and easy to use... a bit outdated, but it has room to add foods to each category, so i end up adding things i commonly eat...

Hi!

How do you count the carb and Protein in your food?

Join a website that counts nutrition, like fitday.com You can look up foods already in their bank, or make up your own for what they dont have... it not only counts Protein, carbs and calories, but Vitamins too....

I do total carbs and tend to stay under 20g, but I'm still early out and don't eat much. Once I can eat more and will be able to add veggies back into my diet, I'll probably aim for 50g total carbs.

I'm doing 30 grams of total carbs, so I don't subtract the fiber carbs...

HELP PLEASE!!!

I counted total carbs. I didn't have the time, energy or desire to worry about net carbs. The one thing that made things easier is that I honestly didn't have room for much more than 30gr of carbs from dairy and some green veggies. I'm not a fruit eater, never have been, probably never will be. I couldn't drink milk due to lactose intolerance so the carbs I got were from cheese, greek yogurt and green veggies and/or pinto/black/refried Beans I ate as a side item a few times a week.

I tried to stick to veggies that scored lower than 55-60 on the glycemic index because that kept the carb count low on those foods.

Total carbs. A carb is a carb. Net or other wise. :)

Deb