Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scar tissue and the sleeve

I've had a bad history with scar tissue/adhesions. I had endometriosis and fibroid tumors. I had a c-section and abdominal tumor removed and this caused alot of scar tissue in my abdomen. I ended up having a complete hysterectomy and my organs needed to be disected due to all the scar tissue. The surgeon said it was one of the worse cases they had seen. Will this be a problem with the sleeve? I was also wondering how much pain is involved in the surgery?

Hmm I had bad adhesions during my hysterectomy as well. I was also told they were among the worst they had seen! I haven't had anything removed around the abdomen though. I wish I would have thought to ask during the orientation, but it didn't even cross my mind!

I will be sure to ask before I go any further on this process. You might want to do the same. Best wishes!

P.S. Just curious, do you happen to have hypertrophic scars? I do. (People refer to them as keloids, but they are not the same.)

Hey there... I've had some similar issues, though I never had to have my uterus removed. I did have my left ovary removed due to a large cyst. Since then everything else has been normal (this was 10 years ago too) but I did get some pretty bad internal scarring from this. The pain was so bad a few year out that my Gyno had to go back in to clean out the scarring and ended up removing the left tube. I do still get some pains during my cycle but its usually handled with Aleve taken on a regular basis during TOM. It hasn't resurfaced enough to needing more surgeries *knock on wood*.

Anyway, knowing this I have to say that I didn't have really any major issues with scarring from my sleeve. I know Dr. Aceves had to remove some scarring my lap band surgery created but it didn't sound like anything more than what a Dr. would normally see in this case. My sleeve has healed up nicely and I don't feel abnormal or any strange twinges of pain at all.

Good luck!!! I hope it all works out for you. :)

Hi Peacequeen, I understand your concerns completely!!! I have had 4 abdominal surgeries all horizontal. 2 straight up and down thick scars. Had adhesions removed from intestines and bladder 20 years ago. I was told my organs are not all in the typical place. So my mind won't shut up with the what ifs. I spoke to my surgeon and she said " Don't worry I can get through anything". I think you just have to speak to your surgeon and they will put your mind at ease. Have faith and everything will workout. My surgery is in 4 days and I'm gonna let you know how I do! If they can sleeve me they can sleeve anybody!!!

Thanks, everyone.

longer-life, no..I don't have those type of scars. Most are flat and smooth. But you can feel the hard tissue under the skin. Is that the same thing?

longer-life, no..I don't have those type of scars. Most are flat and smooth. But you can feel the hard tissue under the skin. Is that the same thing?

No, not the same thing. I was just curious. Best wishes!

If any of you are still here and have had the surgery, how did it go? I'm considering the sleeve and get something. I don't know if it's keloids or hypertrophic scars. I'm not at all worried about cosmetics, but about the internal scaring. Will it make me more prone to strictures?

I'm looking at Mexico and have sent the question to the doctor but I think he is traveling and I have not yet hear back.

So how did you do?

I have the same concerns.Several years ago I went through a botched laparoscopic gallbladder surgery. The Dr punctured my bile duct and a week later I had to have exploratory surgery to clean out the bile in my abdomen. They tried to find the leak but it was so tiny even using dye during the surgery they could not find it. Three days after the surgery I had an unsussesful ERCP done in an attempt to find the leak. That was a nightmare because the dr doing the procedure would only allow so much anesthesia and because of all the anesthesia I had had from the exploratory three days earlier, it just didn't do anything to put me out. I was wide awake for the whole thing! Here I was with a freshly stapled abdomen lying on my stomach and gagging the whole time, I kept trying to push myself up to tell them I was awake and FEELING EVERYTHING, but the nurses kept pulling my hand out from underneath me and pushing me back down on the table. Needless to say when it was over I was livid, and gave them all apiece of my mind. The nurse said "were you awake for that the whole time"? WHY YES YOU IDIOT! Why do think I was trying to get up. The assisting physician explained to me that they only use so much anesthesia so in case they hurt you, you can alert them to the problem. Well that worked really well didn't it! I ended up being discharged a week later with a drainage tube, and the leak sealed on its on. Now I'm 100lbs over weight in part due to NEVER being told, that I needed to take an acid reducer for the rest of my life and that the constant hunger feeling I have is not hunger. Its the high acid and bile content that is now flowing straight into my stomach. I had to come on to this forum to find out such vital important information that I should have been told by a dr. I've been on Prilosec for a week and can already tell the difference. Now , I did not mean to hijack this thread and for that I apologize but I told you all that to tell you this. I AM SCARED TO DEATH! I know I have for sure got some scar tissue going on in there. Just how much? who knows, and I have a hard time trusting drs. Going to Mexico does not bother me, in fact for some reason, I have a strong feeling that they are more concerned for there patients comfort and well being then American Dr's are. I keep researching trying to find the right one for me that I feel can handle the scar tissue problem. Any input from others who have had this issue also and were able to find a Mexico bariatric surgeon whom they have had a positive experience with will be so greatly appreciated. Oh and also @ longer-life, I also have hypertrophic scars as well.

I have the same concerns.Several years ago I went through a botched laparoscopic gallbladder surgery. The Dr punctured my bile duct and a week later I had to have exploratory surgery to clean out the bile in my abdomen. They tried to find the leak but it was so tiny even using dye during the surgery they could not find it. Three days after the surgery I had an unsussesful ERCP done in an attempt to find the leak. That was a nightmare because the dr doing the procedure would only allow so much anesthesia and because of all the anesthesia I had had from the exploratory three days earlier' date=' it just didn't do anything to put me out. I was wide awake for the whole thing! Here I was with a freshly stapled abdomen lying on my stomach and gagging the whole time, I kept trying to push myself up to tell them I was awake and FEELING EVERYTHING, but the nurses kept pulling my hand out from underneath me and pushing me back down on the table. Needless to say when it was over I was livid, and gave them all apiece of my mind. The nurse said "were you awake for that the whole time"? WHY YES YOU IDIOT! Why do think I was trying to get up. The assisting physician explained to me that they only use so much anesthesia so in case they hurt you, you can alert them to the problem. Well that worked really well didn't it! I ended up being discharged a week later with a drainage tube, and the leak sealed on its on. Now I'm 100lbs over weight in part due to NEVER being told, that I needed to take an acid reducer for the rest of my life and that the constant hunger feeling I have is not hunger. Its the high acid and bile content that is now flowing straight into my stomach. I had to come on to this forum to find out such vital important information that I should have been told by a dr. I've been on Prilosec for a week and can already tell the difference. Now , I did not mean to hijack this thread and for that I apologize but I told you all that to tell you this. I AM SCARED TO DEATH! I know I have for sure got some scar tissue going on in there. Just how much? who knows, and I have a hard time trusting drs. Going to Mexico does not bother me, in fact for some reason, I have a strong feeling that they are more concerned for there patients comfort and well being then American Dr's are. I keep researching trying to find the right one for me that I feel can handle the scar tissue problem. Any input from others who have had this issue also and were able to find a Mexico bariatric surgeon whom they have had a positive experience with will be so greatly appreciated. Oh and also @ longer-life, I also have hypertrophic scars as well.

[/quote']

Oh goshhhh good luck!

2Btrim, What an awful experience! I think you are right about the health care in Mexico. Ours is in such a state of flux these days.

My sister and Brother in law who are both doctors researched the possibilites and both had their sleeves done by Doctor Ortiz. They said they found more health proffessionals go to him. That is where I plan to go.

Hi! I'm hoping someone is still here or someone reads this and can offer me a ray of hope....

So, I was all excited my surgery day had come & was going to finally get sleeved! Monday, January 8, 2018 ... FINALLY!!!

...I woke up in the recovery room thinking I'd actually been sleeved! Everything was successul...I was alive! (I was afraid & thinking 'doomy' thoughts prior to my actual surgery, so that's why I was happy to know that I came out of it alive!) ...

Well, the nurse stood at her computer with her back to me and she said in a taunting-like manner, "You did not have your surgery!" I didn't think I heard her right, so I asked again, and she responded with "Nope!" I became very upset & actually started crying. Dr. Daly came later and told me he couldn't proceed because I had so much scar tisue from my previous surgeries that everything was jumbled together and it was the worst case he has ever seen. He then walked away as I laid there crying without another word!

Later, I was told by Collette (the lady/doctor who was assisting Dr Daly) that they've referred me to a diffeent doctor and there's a new procedure where they fold your stomach over and insert the sleeve down your throat! I'm not interested in a new procedure! I've been reading where one can get the scar tissue removed/fixed...but I don't know where to go for that! I've also read where people have had the same diagnosis, and they still got sleeved!! Collette, I believe, even said there's a more extensive surgery, like 15-16 hours, but they've referred me to someone else, that I have to have a consultation with IN 4 WEEKS!!!! I'M SO DISCOURAGED!!!

On August 9, 2011 at 8:33 AM, LilMissDiva Irene said:

Hey there... I've had some similar issues, though I never had to have my uterus removed. I did have my left ovary removed due to a large cyst. Since then everything else has been normal (this was 10 years ago too) but I did get some pretty bad internal scarring from this. The pain was so bad a few year out that my Gyno had to go back in to clean out the scarring and ended up removing the left tube. I do still get some pains during my cycle but its usually handled with Aleve taken on a regular basis during TOM. It hasn't resurfaced enough to needing more surgeries *knock on wood*.

Anyway, knowing this I have to say that I didn't have really any major issues with scarring from my sleeve. I know Dr. Aceves had to remove some scarring my lap band surgery created but it didn't sound like anything more than what a Dr. would normally see in this case. My sleeve has healed up nicely and I don't feel abnormal or any strange twinges of pain at all.

Good luck!!! I hope it all works out for you. :)

Hi love! What part of CA do you live in?? I live in SoCal/OC. I'm having some of the same symptoms & my doctor aborted my surgery because he said mine was the worse he's ever seen! I HAVE to have this surgery because I have scoliosis and have to have a revision surgery on my neck & back because my entire left side is now in pain....the pain is shooing down my left side of my body & causing my sciatic nerves to hurt me as well...the doctor is afraid if I don't have the surgery, I'll get bigger & bigger & will not be able to walk ... the problem??? NOone will touch me with my condition!!!

ANY advice?? I'm DESPERATE!!! 😩😩