Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did I get here?

I was on the lapband discussion forum three years ago. I was banded in October 2008 and was a "success" for nearly 18 months. I lost 106 pounds and felt great! Then the band started tightening and loosening for no apparent reason. It was incredibly frustrating. Each time I went in to have Fluid put in or removed, it cost me $250. I admit I lived with it much too tight for a long time due to finances. I vomited daily and had chest pain with every meal, but I kept trying to make it work!

In May of this year, my band lost restriction completely. Fearing an erosion or slippage, I saw my surgeon. He repeatedly tried to put Fluid in, but was never able to get any back out. He announced that I had a leak and I would need to have it removed or repaired....... I was devastated.

I am able to get insurance coverage to have the band removed, but not to do a revision, repair or replacement. Even with the 50 pounds I've gained back over the past year, apparently my BMI is too low to qualify. (It won't be for long if I don't do something about it!)

My family thinks I'm crazy to even consider a revision to sleeve surgery. They want to know what makes me think this will work any better than the band ... not the mention added expense. They are confused about why I can't "just diet like everybody else?" I feel guilty about making the "wrong" decision about the band and guilty about not being able to diet "correctly." Trying to lose weight and get healthy should not involve this much guilt.

I live in San Diego, so the logical choice for me would be Mexico. I've read great things about Dr. Aceves, who seems to have the most experience in revisions from the band. Even though it will cost me more, I'd like to have him do the revision in one surgery instead of having the band removed with insurance first. It's a matter of logistics. I can't take time off from work twice this year to have two surgeries and I'm a single mom with a 10 year old.

I know this is the right decision for me, but I'd appreciate a little support and encouragement.

Mim

:rolleyes: Nobody knows your body better then you, so dont let a family/friend tell you to just diet and exercise. If that was the case it would of worked the 1st through the 200th time we had tried it. Single mothers are strong , independant women and so are you, so pull your strength back out and make your appointment and do what you feel is best for you. If talking about the subject is only going to bring negative conversation then just keep it to yourself and proceed with your best life plan. ;)

I was on the lapband discussion forum three years ago. I was banded in October 2008 and was a "success" for nearly 18 months. I lost 106 pounds and felt great! Then the band started tightening and loosening for no apparent reason. It was incredibly frustrating. Each time I went in to have Fluid put in or removed, it cost me $250. I admit I lived with it much too tight for a long time due to finances. I vomited daily and had chest pain with every meal, but I kept trying to make it work!

In May of this year, my band lost restriction completely. Fearing an erosion or slippage, I saw my surgeon. He repeatedly tried to put Fluid in, but was never able to get any back out. He announced that I had a leak and I would need to have it removed or repaired....... I was devastated.

I am able to get insurance coverage to have the band removed, but not to do a revision, repair or replacement. Even with the 50 pounds I've gained back over the past year, apparently my BMI is too low to qualify. (It won't be for long if I don't do something about it!)

My family thinks I'm crazy to even consider a revision to sleeve surgery. They want to know what makes me think this will work any better than the band ... not the mention added expense. They are confused about why I can't "just diet like everybody else?" I feel guilty about making the "wrong" decision about the band and guilty about not being able to diet "correctly." Trying to lose weight and get healthy should not involve this much guilt.

I live in San Diego, so the logical choice for me would be Mexico. I've read great things about Dr. Aceves, who seems to have the most experience in revisions from the band. Even though it will cost me more, I'd like to have him do the revision in one surgery instead of having the band removed with insurance first. It's a matter of logistics. I can't take time off from work twice this year to have two surgeries and I'm a single mom with a 10 year old.

I know this is the right decision for me, but I'd appreciate a little support and encouragement.

Mim

Losing the band is such a difficult process especially when it fails us. I went through a lot of the same emotions.

Personally, I love the sleeve, and it's been awesome for me. I'm over 2 years out, and living a normal little life, pregnant and thriving.

We're here for you, and if you need anything, please free to contact me privately ! ! !

Mim

Hi Mim welcome. :) I'm sorry you had to join us with such sad circumstances. However, do not despair. We are here to help!!!

I am a revision from lap band to sleeve as well, and I also was revised by Dr. Aceves. My results with the lap band were pretty terrible, honestly. I lost a bit over 50 lbs with it, but not without great struggles. It just plain didn't work for me. Then, over the years gained that 50 Lbs right back. When I got back withing Lbs of my lap band surgery date weight, I decided enough was enough. I was creeping back up into the 300's and one thing I ever promised myself is I'd NEVER SEE 300 LBS AGAIN AS LONG AS I LIVED!!

I meant that.

FF now to today. I am about 11 months out from my revision and I've hit all of my goals! I am happy, healthy, thin, and on top of the world. Wondering if it was worth it is not even on my radar. It was worth it, plain and simple!!! Was it super easy? No, not always - but it sure beats all the struggles I had with my band. It has worked for me in a far superior way!!

I would only suggst that you don't do what I did. I think you should have your lap band removed by your insurance. You will save over $3,000.00 if you do it this way. Also, I think having the surgeries in two steps in much more safe. I was overly anxious to get it all done at once. I don't regret it per se, but now that I think of it, it would've been nice to have those thousands back right now, as I'm working on my reconstructive surgeries.

Of course this is my opinion only! You should definitely do what works best for you.

:)

Good luck to you!!! Let me know if you need anything!

I was also a band to sleeve revision and my surgeon was Dr. Aceves. I had all the same issues you had with the band. I also could have had a surgeon do my revision here close to my hometown for about the same cost but I chose Dr. Aceves because I felt like he was way more experienced at these revisions than the surgeons here. I had very similar band issues as you. I am so glad that it is gone and I am feeling great. Best of luck to you!

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate the feedback. I contacted Dr. Aceves' office this morning and spoke with Nina. She was very informative and emailed me some material to read and fill out. She told me that since I had good success with the band (before it stopped working!) I will likely have excellent results from the sleeve.

As for financing, it looks like I'll need to put most of it on my Visa card at 14.9% ! ! I have a few thousand dollars to pull from my HELOC. Bummer that they don't accept CareCredit (I've already got a $10,000 limit from some dental work a few years ago.) Good thing I'll be eating less, because I'm not going to be able to afford food for a few years!

financing aside, I'm looking toward the end of Sept./beginning of Oct. as a surgery date. A dear friend from Atlanta has offered to fly out to CA to stay with my son (and take care of me) for two weeks. I almost cried when she offered.

I really DO feel confident with my decision. I have to get this weight back off and KEEP IT OFF. I want to go swimming with my son again, I want to fit back into the closet full of clothes I bought last year, but most of all, I want to be around to hold my grandchildren.........

Mim

I know where you are coming from... No one in my family supported ms when I suggest I wanted weight loss surfer they all told me to do it naturally and laughed at the thought. Even my friend laughed and discouraged me a little. Then I thought to myself, I'm not doing this for THEM, I'm doing it for ME. After that revelation, I became even more committed to getting the surgery done. Even though I don't hace a surgery date yet I know I'll have it before 2012...

So remember this:

YOU ARE YOUR BIGGEST SUPPORTER AT THE END OF THE DAY, period!

PS: I support you ALL the way!

Mim--when I read your post it sounded so much like my experience I actually had to stop and make sure I didn't post it! tongue.gif I had great success with the band, lost 100 lbs, it slipped, lost 30 more pounds, then had to have it out...got it out in the states then gained ALL the weight back plus 15 more!!!! After 3 years of being fat again, had finally had enough, called Dr. Aceves' office for a sleeve. So far it is working out great! I just got back on Monday, but so far so good!! I had people telling me to just "calorie count and exercise"... they just really don't understand how it is for us....You do what is right for you and tell the other nay-sayers to just "bugger-off" !!! Good luck to you and best wishes!!

Hi there-

I am a fellow San Diegan and a Dr Aceves revision patient. Dr Aceves is THE MAN for revisions. They will take good care of you, the hosptial is top notch, and you will have several tests to check for leaks before you leave. It's not a bad drive to Mexicali. Also, Mexicali is much nicer than TJ.

This decision is really hard. Its difficult to get your courage and resolve together for a second weight loss surgery when the first one was a failure. Every one of us revision folks knows what that feels like. Its terrible. It also seems, to outsiders looking in, that you aren't fat enough to have another surgery because of the weight you lost with the band. I know for sure I would have ballooned up if I had only taken the band out. Instead, I had the revision and now I am at a "normal" weight on my way to my goal weight. Is it hard? Oh yes!! Is it worth it? Absolutely.

Good for you on doing your homework and good luck with your decision.

I will just miss you, going to be flying into San Diego on October 9th for my VSG w/ Aceves on the 10th. I'm a WLS virgin, but I have heard great things about Aceves with revision, you will do great!!!

I will just miss you, going to be flying into San Diego on October 9th for my VSG w/ Aceves on the 10th. I'm a WLS virgin, but I have heard great things about Aceves with revision, you will do great!!!

My surgery is scheduled for 10/3/2011. We're exactly one week apart. I'll be home recuperating in my Barcalounger on 10/10, but I will send you good thoughts that day!

My surgery is scheduled for 10/3/2011. We're exactly one week apart. I'll be home recuperating in my Barcalounger on 10/10, but I will send you good thoughts that day!

Awesome, I hope eveything goes smoothly for you! :)