Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The bottom just fell out :(

Are you sure your insurance will not cover it? Also, keep checking because I have known a few who have found out at the last minute that their insurance began to cover it. Mine has only covered it for a year.

As of right now, they unequivocally will NOT cover ANYTHING to do with it. I would love if they did but Walmart has such tight pockets I doubt it will EVER happen :( They won't even cover blood work because its considered "routine" or so I am told by insurance company. Personally, I think the execs are afraid of losing a couple mill a year out of the multi-million dollar paydays to offer adequate coverage for their employees who are barely making it week to week. But that's just my opinion.

Oh, I'm so sorry things aren't going well for you! I know it's aggravating not having the money on hand to get surgery done and then getting denied by every finance company you find. I've been in a similar situation; considering going to Mexico and still having to save up for a long time for it. I found a Dr. Borland in neighboring Louisiana that does the procedure for only $9800 ($1000 more than Dr. Alvarez in Mexico). My mom was so relieved to hear the news, she has graciously offered to loan me $8000 of it herself (she worried about me going to Mexico). I go next month for my initial visit since I am still saving. I don't know how far away you are from Louisiana, but his fee is pretty affordable and he comes highly recommended.

Hope things work out for you!

Oh, I'm so sorry things aren't going well for you! I know it's aggravating not having the money on hand to get surgery done and then getting denied by every finance company you find. I've been in a similar situation; considering going to Mexico and still having to save up for a long time for it. I found a Dr. Borland in neighboring Louisiana that does the procedure for only $9800 ($1000 more than Dr. Alvarez in Mexico). My mom was so relieved to hear the news, she has graciously offered to loan me $8000 of it herself (she worried about me going to Mexico). I go next month for my initial visit since I am still saving. I don't know how far away you are from Louisiana, but his fee is pretty affordable and he comes highly recommended.

Hope things work out for you!

Thats quite impressive pricing for the states!! However I am almost a day away (just over 13 hours) so we would still have to fly. Factor in the additional cost to go to him and he is even more out of reach than Aceves.

If anyone knows of an affordable doc closer to indiana please let me know, can't hurt to look into them and see what I can find. I am even willing to save longer if I can stay close to home & in the US because I will have family to lean on for things like lodging (instead of renting a motel/hotel) for hubby and the boys plus it means I will be closer to my surgeon if I need to be seen for a complication. As much as I HATE the idea of waiting longer those perks aren't available if I go to Mexico and they might be worth the wait. I would also consider the Georgia area if its close enough to where my dad lives.

How does self-pay work in the US? Do you still have to go to the NUT meetings and see a shink and everything for 6 months?

Usually if your self pay you don't have to do the nut classes unless your doc wants you too. Once you set up a payment plan, you can set up your surgery. Which means you could do it in a few weeks or months. Not next year.

Why can't you drive to Louisana? 13 hours is not bad compared to paying over $1000 for plane tickets. I'm sure there is someone close to you what offers the cash payment prices. Just call around. It may not be advertised. Ask for recommendations of doctors in your state from people on this site. Then start calling their offices. You might be surprised.

Sorry you are having a time with financing your treatment, Kristie. I got mine covered through State Medicaid(Mercy Care Plan). Do you have it in Indiana? Your income might be low enough for you to qualify. I believe the cost for me was $6600, and I have a copay of $5 each time I see the doctor for my follow ups. I would look into that if possible--too bad you aren't closer to Phoenix, because my doc would do it reasonably. He is excellent. You need to get it done here in the US because the follow ups are important to your overall recovery and treatment schedule. I think your family would be happy to see you get it done here in the States, anyway. I think if you googled financial support for bariatric surgery, you would find links to research options that way. Also, check with Indiana's Medical School Hospital to see if there is a grant program you could apply for financial help in getting surg at their teaching hospital. Usually, those cover all the expenses, and of course, you have to apply just as you would for enrolling into a college--income disclosures, etc. I know I had to get financial help 3 years ago because I had no money for the copay to get a heart catheterization; I wrote and applied to the hosp directly and they paid that bill for me. Had just lost my job, and I care for my mom who is on Soc Sec, 84 yrs old and sick with lung, heart, and diabetic problems. There will be a way for you to get surgery--albeit not on your timeline, but perhaps a better solution is in the works for you to get this surgery and treatment done. :rolleyes:Ronda

Usually if your self pay you don't have to do the nut classes unless your doc wants you too. Once you set up a payment plan, you can set up your surgery. Which means you could do it in a few weeks or months. Not next year.

Why can't you drive to Louisana? 13 hours is not bad compared to paying over $1000 for plane tickets. I'm sure there is someone close to you what offers the cash payment prices. Just call around. It may not be advertised. Ask for recommendations of doctors in your state from people on this site. Then start calling their offices. You might be surprised.

So, let me get this straight... Once I set up a payment plan I could get it done instead of having to wait until I have the $$ to pay in full???

Not sure where you are in Indiana but there is a doctor in the Detroit area, Dr. Mark Pleatman who does sleeve surgeries for around $11,000 i believe. I am sure there are others on the board who know more about him but his name came up when I was doing my research.

So, let me get this straight... Once I set up a payment plan I could get it done instead of having to wait until I have the $$ to pay in full???

That is the whole point if a payment plan. Like when you get a car, unless you pay in full you arrange payments (installment loan). You're still able to start driving the car, even though you don't own it yet and are still making payments. But you will have to talk to the hospital/surgeon and see what they allow. There's a difference between a large emergency bill, or setting up payments for the amount insurance wouldn't cover, and setting up payments for an entire charge ahead of time. (A good friend of mine is a doctor - the hospital she is at now will work with patients, the one she recently transferred from would not, so it does vary.)

Sorry you are having a time with financing your treatment, Kristie. I got mine covered through State Medicaid(Mercy Care Plan). Do you have it in Indiana? Your income might be low enough for you to qualify. I believe the cost for me was $6600, and I have a copay of $5 each time I see the doctor for my follow ups. I would look into that if possible--too bad you aren't closer to Phoenix, because my doc would do it reasonably. He is excellent. You need to get it done here in the US because the follow ups are important to your overall recovery and treatment schedule. I think your family would be happy to see you get it done here in the States, anyway. I think if you googled financial support for bariatric surgery, you would find links to research options that way. Also, check with Indiana's Medical School Hospital to see if there is a grant program you could apply for financial help in getting surg at their teaching hospital. Usually, those cover all the expenses, and of course, you have to apply just as you would for enrolling into a college--income disclosures, etc. I know I had to get financial help 3 years ago because I had no money for the copay to get a heart catheterization; I wrote and applied to the hosp directly and they paid that bill for me. Had just lost my job, and I care for my mom who is on Soc Sec, 84 yrs old and sick with lung, heart, and diabetic problems. There will be a way for you to get surgery--albeit not on your timeline, but perhaps a better solution is in the works for you to get this surgery and treatment done. :rolleyes:Ronda

???Need to get it done in the US? Alot of us can't afford to have it done here in the US. Most people on here that have it done in Mexico do their follow ups with their PCP here. If cost is a big factor and for some it is a huge factor, Mexico is the only way to go.......

Yes Kristie, usually you can get your surgery while you are still paying on it. I can only speak for my doctor and the facility they use. Now I used my insurance and had to pay $2030 left on my deductible and out of pocket. They let me pay 1/2 that up front and I'm paying out the rest. BUT....

before I was approved, I wanted to know how much it would be if I paid out of pocket. I wasn't sure if I would get approved or not. If I was a cash patient, they charge a flat fee of $12,000 for doc and hospital charges. I was told if I go that route, you put so much down and then pay out like $100 or so each month. They would finance up to like 18 months or 24 months. But the fact is...they are willing to work with you.

So there has to be other doctors out there that do this. I'm in the Dallas area and I know my doc isn't the only one around here that does it.

Even if you use part of your husbands 401K to make a small down payment, that would get you going, then do your monthly payments.

I have also heard of some organization for WLS people that helps with financial assitstants. I don't know alot about it, but I know there is something like that out there. Someone else on here may know more about it.

Not sure where you are in Indiana but there is a doctor in the Detroit area, Dr. Mark Pleatman who does sleeve surgeries for around $11,000 i believe. I am sure there are others on the board who know more about him but his name came up when I was doing my research.

I will look into it, thanks

I have been asking about payment plans with everyone I have talked to today, all say the full amount has to be paid BEFORE the procedure is done. I am beginning to think I won't find any better than Aceves -price wise, once you factor in travel costs, and thats WITH the kids! Or experience wise, the docs in the US (that I can even romotely *think* I *might* be able to afford *if* I save for 2 years straight) just aren't that experienced if they are affordable.

If you travel to AZ, my doctor is EXPERIENCED!! Has done thousands over 18yrs experience. I just feel very leery of MX because you will need follow up care that a PCP is limited in skill. :unsure:

Signs of the times, I think. I'd heard that hospitals were really clamping down on payment arrangements. They can't really repossess a missing stomach. :)

Just my 2 cents... experience matters, to a point. I'd take someone who has done 300 sleeves over 12 sleeves any day. But to me, it's not going to make much difference if someone has done 300 vs 500, or 1500 vs 8000. At some point, there's enough experience there, and any more isn't making a huge difference. Perhaps a bad analogy, but -- I don't want to be on the interstate with a first time driver, or even a 1 year driver. But it doesn't matter if I go with someonw ho has 15 years of driving experience or 50. So while I agree that experience is important, can you find a surgeon who has enough experience?

If I was right and your "budget" for this is around $10,500 you should be able to find an experienced surgeon in the states in that range. You may even be able to find one near you.

What would scare you about going on your own? FOr the part that matters, you'll be unconscious anyway. :)

If you travel to AZ, my doctor is EXPERIENCED!! Has done thousands over 18yrs experience. I just feel very leery of MX because you will need follow up care that a PCP is limited in skill. :unsure:

I have a friend hubby might be able to stay with while I am in the hosp.She lives in SLC Utah. It he/she anywhere near there(like within an hour or so?)? What are the fees? What is the docs name so I can look into them?